webuser_295034475

Living/dining room colour advice

Ksmy
4 år sedan

Hi all

I need to redecorate our new house and am trying to choose paint colours. It's currently yellow. I was thinking warm neutrals and like the easy neutrals from F&B - do you think they would work in this East facing room? picture shows both halves of the room. Should i do ammonite on the walls or will it look gloomy? Ammonite on the end walls and white on the rest? White wall and darker woodwork?

Can change colour of footstool. We had pale powder in our last home but that was very large light and airy and I'm not sure it would suit the feel of this place.

Advice appreciated thank you.

K

Kommentarer (11)

• PRO
    Rukmini Patel Interior Design
    4 år sedan

Hi lovely, ok so how do you wan the room(s) to feel? With an east facing room you will get lots of light afternoon onwards especially from spring summer so the light will be warmer. Looks like your windows and doors are looking into the garden? You could have a soft green which is warm and light and connect its to the garden. Something like Teresa's Green Farrow & Ball :

Or if you prefer something warmer Setting Plaster Farrow & Ball is lovely and great for small spaces.

I think Ammonite will get too washed out with that warm light and could make it feel more on the cooler end. I also suggest keeping the colour the same on all of the walls as your ceilings appear to be low so you want to allow your eye to flow right across your room. Rather than have a break in the colours. Hope that makes sense! I suggest painting the fireplace a fresher colour too like white.

Let me know what you think?

Thanks

Rukmini

Ksmy thanked Rukmini Patel Interior Design
  • Ksmy
    Författare
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

Rukmini this is so helpful thank you! i would like it to feel serene. Would prefer neutral to a colour, maybe a warmish white if not grey (sure you are right about it looking washed out). Yes they do look onto the garden so a green could def work. good advice about painting the walls all the same colour thank you due to the lowish ceilings. if going with a colour on walls would def do woodwork white. do you think a white wall like wimbourne white would be too much?

• PRO
    Rukmini Patel Interior Design
    4 år sedan

Hiya lovely, ok so if you are after a warmish white I recommend Shaded White (F&B) and yes keep the woodwork looking fresh with a white. I would test out the paints first as they always look different in the room and according to the light. For example, if you have natural warm light and pick a cool toned white it might look off. So it's best to get testing then you'll have a better idea of what works, what doesn't. Good luck!

Ksmy thanked Rukmini Patel Interior Design
  • Sonia
    4 år sedan

Ammonite is basically a pale grey so rather cool. Looking at your furniture I think a pale country shade would look nice, something like F&B Cromarty or Mizzle. It will tie in with your curtains too. Shaded White, as Rukmini suggested, is also a slightly green tinged neutral which would look lovely. However, it does seem you want to stick with a pale neutral, so how about All White? A very, very pale off white. Wimborne White and Pointing are also really pale and tend to be warmer.

Ksmy thanked Sonia
  • Ksmy
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Sonia thank you so much for commenting, not sure how much of the furniture is staying but probably the curtains for a while... I do really like the look of Cromarty. We had pale powder in our last place which we loved but fancied something different here, cromarty looks similar but bit darker. I was fancying an off white/light grey but may need to be bolder. I don't want it to feel cold as it can be gloomy once the sun goes round. I will try those whites you suggest in addition to shaded white as suggested by Rukmini. I already have a sample of wimbourne white which looks ok but not sure its a winner yet. Really appreciate your thoughts!!

• Sarah U-S
    4 år sedan

A few years ago we painted our living room James White (bottom left of Sonia’s chart). We’re now ready to redecorate, and despite having all the colour charts, we’re thinking of keeping to the same colour because we love it. It’s a fresh white with a hint of lime - it’s warm, looks contemporary and is just a bit different to the greys that have been dominating of late. It goes with absolutely everything - and people always comment on it when they see it.

Ksmy thanked Sarah U-S
  • Ksmy
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thanks Sarah this is very nice we will also have wood floors. I know what you mean about the greys but am so drawn to them! which way does your room face may I ask?

• Sarah U-S
    4 år sedan

It’s a Victorian terrace - so it’s actually the front and middle rooms that have been knocked together into one long room. The front faces south east and has a big bay window - so quite a lot of light. The back half faces north west - and very little light as we also have an extension in some of the side return. The colour looks fab in both halves!
    Have you looked at the Mylands colour charts? They’re a bit more expensive than Farrow and Ball but they have some gorgeous pale colours (think the collection is called something like Colours of London). I’m tempted by a shade called Belgravia - I read an article where an interior designer described it as the perfect off-white.

• Sarah U-S
    4 år sedan

This is the article that mentions the Belgravia shade. Lots of other lovely ones mentioned too! https://www.idealhome.co.uk/diy-and-decorating/best-white-paint-walls-172455

• Ksmy
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Hi Sarah no I haven’t looked as was trying to limit my choices so I don’t go mad :) i will have to now though. Thank you

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.