sarahmccann72

Staircase ideas

sarahmccann72
4 år sedan

We are renovating our new home completely but I am stuck on what to do with the staircase, I was thinking of changing the spindles to glass and carpeting it but then I think that's what everyone is doing, although I do like glass, then I thought could I paint the stairs, any ideas would be greatly appreciated, the floors and doors will be oak and skirting and architrave will be white
Thanks

Kommentarer (17)

• Elizabeth Zuber
    4 år sedan

Why not clad your stairs with the same wood as your flooring ?

• sarahmccann72
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Didn't kno I cud do that

• E D
    4 år sedan

Is your house old/‘period’? Or a new(er) build?

• sarahmccann72
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Hi, no the house is not old or a new build its about 20 years old and is a dorma bungalow

• E D
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

Ah, Nessun dorma. 🎶

Sorry, couldn’t resist. 😀

• Sonia
    4 år sedan

You can create a bit of drama simply by painting the rail and spindles in a dark shade as in E Ds examples and a trendy stair carpet. My friend changed her stair rails to glass and it looks good but she said it cost a fortune. I daren't ask her how much........ but of course if the budget allows then by all means have glass. Here’s a few pics to inspire you on what can be achieved pretty reasonably.

• sarahmccann72
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Luckily we have a glass supplier in the family so might not cost as much as usual

• tamp75
    4 år sedan

I think glass could work or else replace the spindles with something more modern.

• Jonathan Barry
    4 år sedan

Black spindles are all the rage for a bit of drama - leave the banister bare wood but stained a lovely oak. Black spindles and white skirts

• sarahmccann72
    Författare
    4 år sedan

That's lovely but I cudn't leave the stairs plain as they are not oak and I'm not sure carper with it would be as nice

• PRO
    Bespoke Frameless Glass ltd
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

The stairs are a really beautiful feature of the entranceway so keeping them in keeping with the decor / style of the house is really important, glass would look great but its a very modern feature that doesn't suit all styles, there are different way to incorporate the glass into the staircase by using clamps, stand offs and fletch plate then cladding. I'm not sure where you're based but if it's around Bristol / Bath plus 30miles we would be more than happy to give you a quote.

• sarahmccann72
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thanks but I'm in Northern Ireland

• Lynsey Clark
    4 år sedan

Hi Sarah, I just bought a bungalow with loft conversion but only have dormer in upstairs shower, can I hijack and ask what your configuration is upstairs? I am really struggling with ideas. We will also be doing our stairs, we have the 60/70’s style open stairs so yours already looks amazing to me 😂. I like the painted ideas above but with carpet, cosy and quiet! I have two kids so the noise of the hurtling up and down wood is not a nice thought. Here is our current layout, hope you can help.

• sarahmccann72
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Hi linzi, this is really rough and ready but will, give you an idea, we have 2 dormers in the upstairs, the master and bigger bedroom, the other bedroom and bathrooms have velux

• Lynsey Clark
    4 år sedan

Thank you, this does help. I had been thinking of adding the dormer to the back of the house but now considering two individual ones on the front to maximise the view. It would be nice to see your finished staircase, please post some ‘after’ pictures for inspiration!

• sarahmccann72
    Författare
    3 år sedan

Have decided to paint my staircase after all but now I'm wondering if I paint it in a dark colour will it look OK with oak doors, my skirting and architrave will be white, it's just that the ones I have looked at all have white doors?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.