hzdeleted_8489027

Designers- how do you *really* feel about painting kitchen cabinets?

User
3 år sedan

I see a lot of threads on how to paint kitchen cabinets, what to use, if you should hire someone to spray or do it yourself, etc.

As we are planning a remodel on a new house and having some of these same discussions, a friend who is a designer turned up her nose. "I will let you in on a little secret..." she said, "painted finishes never last well and my clients are redoing/replacing those cabinets in 5 years. Especially those who DIY. So I always try to talk people out of painting cabinets, unless they use one of two people I trust who do this professionally and spray. But some clients are really set on this idea, or simply want a change and don't have a healthy budget."

So I ask the many pros on here-- how do you really feel about painted cabinets? Worth it or waste of time? More trouble than is necessary? Do you just wish you could talk your clients out of this? Or is this a good option that you have seen work out well if the right materials and techniques are used?

Paint cabinets if they are decent quality. They turn out well. Can be a good solution.
Replace cabinets. Factory finish is always better. Paint doesn't last long and cabinets will need replacing.

Kommentarer (5)

• User
    3 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 3 år sedan

If you’re willing to pay the average 7-9K for a real cabinet finishing pro to prep and spray one of the new Italian 2K poly finishes, you can have a finish that is equal to, or better, than a factory finish. Skip paying for house paint from any painter. Why pay for no better quality product than you could paint your baseboards with.

A homeowner who owns the right equipment and is an experienced paint sprayer can get good results with those coatings too. But it’s a ton of work that isn’t suited to the non experienced DIYer. And there’s no point in doing that much work and then slacking off at the very end by not choosing to use a professional coating. The paint isn’t the expensive part. It’s the 100 hours of pep that’s the major cost to a homeowner. If you do it, do it right. Join the kitchen cabinet painting experts FB group and watch their videos.

The truth of any painted finish, factory or otherwise, is that it shows wear and tear far more than a stained wood finish does. Normal expansion and contraction separations between panels, between stiles and rails, halos of panels, all show dramatically more on painted cabinets. Burnishing, bumps, chips, and object stains, all show worse on paint. Especially on whites. If you can’t handle that, then painted finishes are not for you.

• cawaps
    3 år sedan

I'm not a designer, and won't speak for them (though I could probably quote them chapter and verse by now, as often as this issue comes up). I grew up in a house with cabinets that my dad built. I think they were painted with a semi-gloss oil paint. We repainted them once or twice in my youth. We didn't have a ton of money, and didn't have the money to hire someone to do the work even if there had been a pro in our rural area with the proper equipment to do the meticulous job the Live_wire_oak and other designers who post here expect. But Dad was handy, and our expectations were in line with the outcome.

The lesson is that if you want a painted finish to rival a factory finish, you will have to pay $$$. But as long as your expectations are in line with your budget, you could be happy with something less than perfection.

• Design Girl
    3 år sedan

Painting the cabinets the proper way takes a lot of time and money. People who think they can paint them themselves are usually not satisfied with the outcome or the longevity of the finish. Many times it doesn't cost that much more to get new cabinets that have more modern conveniences (deep drawers, pullouts, etc.) and you can often get a better layout. I think that's why designers discourage it. Clients are not usually happy long term and still have layout issues that haven't been addressed.

• bry911
    3 år sedan

This is largely a marginal cost problem. So while opinions are great the real value of paint vs. replace depends on the layout of your current kitchen and the cost of replacing cabinets. Spending $10k on paint may be a great way to make a $50k kitchen work in your home or it could be half way to replacing a dysfunctional kitchen.

There is nothing super special about a factory finish. Largely that same durability can be achieved in your home. However, what is special about a factory finish, is not spraying chemicals in your home. Even traditional 2k poly uses Isocyanates, a version of which caused the Bhopal disaster. There are good 2k poly's out there from ICA and Milesi which I would let in my home, but there are many others I would not.

Finally, at some point the durability of coatings become moot. I spray my rental property cabinets with Kem Aqua plus and there is no way you are nearly as hard on cabinets as my renters... Assuming competent people spraying one of a dozen decent products your most likely failure point will be prep.

• PRO
    Hrivnak Associates, LLC
    3 år sedan

live_wire_oak has a terrific response.

The only thing I can add might be to consider buying new fronts. There are people who can put new veneers of wood or laminate or painted finish onto the stiles as well.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.