webuser_712706080

Kitchen/Diner layout advice - 1930s Semi

Suzie H
3 år sedan

Hi everyone

We've just exchanged on our first house and the reality of the large number of decisions we need to make on the layout of the house is hitting us!

The house is a lovely 1930s art deco semi, but comes with a very small kitchen. We have a young baby and planning to expand the family, so we need to have a practical and liveable solution.

Our budget isn't huge, so we're thinking of swapping the kitchen and dining room uses rather than extend. This is the plan -

1. Remove wall between existing kitchen/dining room

2. Put wall back in between existing dining room/living room to create space for cabinets

3. Block up door from hallway to dining room

4. Open out chimney in the new kitchen space [formerly the dining room] to house sink or oven. Chimney isn't shown on the floor plan, but it's there!

5. Fit kitchen/decorate etc

Do you think this is a sound plan, and does anything glaringly obvious stand out that we should consider?

And our plan once we're set on works is to have 3 builders come take a look and quote. Does this sound like the right way forward?

If anyone has any other ideas or advice please do share - we're new, clueless and sleep deprived(!)

Kommentarer (8)

• Alix W
    3 år sedan

Hi Suzy, congratulations on your new house - how exciting! I’m not very experienced but I would say your plan sounds like a good one, although more experienced Houzzers may be able to give more advice. A few things that I would think about 1)moving pipes/water can be expensive. A cheaper option may be to do everything you suggest but keep the kitchen where it is? Not sure if that would work for you. 2) if you’re getting rid of the entry into the (current) kitchen, could you fit in a built in cupboard there? Coats/shoes/scooters etc all need storage! 3) I think you will have just enough space for dining in the current kitchen space (most table are 90cm wide and you need 1m each side for chairs, getting in and out etc). But you could think about space saving options like bench seating or a built in banquette along the wall. Have fun!

• PRO
    The Kitchen Lady UK
    3 år sedan

I think that sounds like a lovely plan. A more purse friendly version might be to keep the kitchen where it is but still open as close the walls as before.

if you made it an L kitchen under the kitchen window, you would have almost the same sized kitchen! If you wanted to block up the kitchen door, you could then have a tall pantry block.
    This is a screenshot of a kitchen I designed for an exhibition of a similar scale that shows small is gorgeous!

• Sonia
    3 år sedan

Congratulations on your new home! Great plan. My house is 1930s and the kitchen was minuscule! One day we decided to knock down the wall between the tiny kitchen and the living/dining room. Best thing we ever did. We blocked up the wall (apart from the door) creating a kitchen/diner at the back and the living room at the front. I sometimes wonder if we should have left it open plan? That’s a thought.

I think swopping the kitchen and dining room over would be better. Of course it will cost more due to moving all the pipe work, but it would fit better.

Finding a really good builder is the hardest part. You could ask for recommendations from family, friends and neighbours. You could also ask for recommendations on your local Facebook Town Group. There are groups like Trustatrade.com but I’ve not heard good things about such groups. Once you have a list of builders 🙏 you can draw up a list of work you want them to do and get three quotes. The cheapest isn’t always the best though. Wishing you every success.

• Nick
    3 år sedan

Based on the comments above, I think it is worth talking to a kitchen designer first. They might be able to give you a plan that keeps the kitchen more or less where it is, but taking out the wall be tween the dining room and kitchen and closing up the gap between dining room and living room. That would save on the replumbing. Even if you do decide to switch the dining room and kitchen, it makes sense to have the kitchen planned out, so you are sure it is going to suit your needs before you do all the work.

• Angie
    3 år sedan

Congratulations on your new home, exciting times for you. When we bought our current house 5 years ago we had many plans to move walls and reconfigure. We were advised to live in the house for at least six months before starting anything major and that was the best advice. We are so glad we didn’t start straight away. Having lived in the space for a good while we came to see that our original (and exciting) ideas weren’t going to achieve what we’d hoped and we have now changed our thinking completely and love the house. So I’d recommend waiting a while before the chaos of building works, although having said that I’m just recalling a previous house where we did have a wall knocked down almost as soon as we’d moved in, complete with a toddler and baby!
    So to answer your question, I think the comments above say it well. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, whenever you do it. Angie

• Suzie H
    Författare
    3 år sedan

Thanks so much everyone, this has given us something to think about! Very much appreciated

• PRO
    ROOM4STYLE - Inspired Interiors
    3 år sedan

Here’s one more suggestion for you. I would not close the passage between living and dining room, but possibly put sliding glass doors there, so you can still put cabinets or bookshelves on either side.
    I hope you can read my writing, I would open up the space between dining and kitchen, but close both the doors to the hallway and garden. That way you have lost of space for wall units.
    I was not clear if there is a door next to the sink? If there is I would close that too, and turn it into a window, of if a door is required there centre it and turn the kitchen into a galley kitchen.
    Hope that all make sense?! I provide a planning service in case you do need more help with this. Good luck! Petra

• Suzie H
    Författare
    3 år sedan

Thank you Petra! This is so kind of you, love the idea of the pocket doors. For some reason the floor plan makes it look like there are doors all over the place in the kitchen that don’t exist!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.