rfharmon

Minimalistic Fireplace Mistake??

rfharmon
3 år sedan

Please help me, I need help deciding on the best materials to use on my open-concept mid-century modern home FIREPLACE with nearby huge multi-colored stained-glass windows.

Here is a picture of my home:

OPTION ONE: I really want a concrete minimalist fireplace but I don't know what kind of concrete to use:

OPTION TWO: So, I was doing to use Ardex Cement Feather Finish to get minimalist design look but I'm growing increasingly scared that it won't last for more than a few years b/c it's not concrete, it's inconsistent in it's texture, and I'm starting to feel like I tile would be safer if I can't get concrete.

OPTION THREE: Picture of the CONCEPT GREY tile that I'm considering using, it comes in 3 sizes, here is a picture in the large format (24x48):

OPTION FOUR: I could also use the CONCEPT GREY colored tile (pictured above) in the 6x36 sizes. If I went the smaller 6x36 size, my fireplaces would look like this:

OPTION FIVE: Lastly, I could use the CONCEPT GREY colored tile in the 12x24 size and my fireplace would look like this.

What is your favorite material for my fireplace? Also, if you know the best material to use to get the minimalist concrete fireplace, please advise. Thanks.

Kommentarer (35)

• er612
    3 år sedan

I like option 1. Unfortunately, I can't advise on how to achieve the look though.

• Sofia
    3 år sedan

I’m liking option 4.

• tangerinedoor
    3 år sedan

It's hard to visualize your whole room and how the fireplace would fit in. Also, your fireplace looks a lot squatter than your examples: I think it would be smart to get some "looks" that are similar in proportions.

Most of your examples are more slender; IMO you won't be able to achieve a look like any of them in your room. Tile size goes along with proportion.

• lydcrafts
    3 år sedan

I like option 3, but it might be a waste of tile on your 2 narrow edges.

• Irene Morresey
    3 år sedan

Option 1 looks great

• felizlady
    3 år sedan

You didn’t give us a good photo of the “multi-colored stained glass window”, but if that tiny glimpse of turquoise, pinkish and gray is the window in question, I would keep the fireplace simple...a smooth finish in a gray a bit darker than concrete, a medium-light tone.

rfharmon thanked felizlady
  • PRO
    The Nielsen Collection
    3 år sedan

Check out Airslate Kasmir or Delhi colors depending on if you want warm or cool. It is by Porcelanosa and quite reasonable. Comes in large slabs but lightweight as it is a thin veneer of slate on a fiberglass backing. Can be trimmed out with schluter edges or it can be mitered.

rfharmon thanked The Nielsen Collection
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 3 år sedan

I like the idea of incorporating some texture, so either the large format tiles or the wood-look plank style tiles would be great. Alternatively, do concrete, but have them use wood planks for the forms so you get the wood texture pressed in to the surface.

Concrete Board-Formed Fireplace Surround · Mer info

• rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

felizlady, please excuse my delayed response. Here is a picture of my stained glass windows... it was messy in the house so it took a while to get this picture.

• rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

I feel like I'm on an tv show entitled this is what I asked for vs. what I got. Here is the picture of what my installed onto my fireplace. To me, it looks bad and I'm not sure it's worth trying to fix. The installers used 1.5 tiles the materials suggested and just slopped it onto the fireplace-- although I asked them repeatedly to use skim coats. We used MAPEI Planipatch.

• rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

The Nielsen Collection, I went to Porcelanosa Seattle and the Airslate Kasmir or Delhi colors are both back ordered 20 weeks.

• rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

As alternatives, I found some tile. May you please let me know you like any of these options:

24x36

8 x 72

12x24

18 x36

12x24

• rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

Beth H. :, I don't trust my decisions anymore. Can you please let me know if you know where to find this tile?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 år sedan

I feel like I'm on an tv show entitled this is what I asked for vs. what I got.

ok, this is the funniest thing I've ever read on this site. I can so relate.

What did they do that was wrong? it looks skim coated to me. now they just tile, yes?

All those 12x24 tiles you posted look cheap and blah. they're a big NO from me.

the one in my picture above looks like a random linear bar slate tile or basalt. or it could be a split face slate, quartzite or basalt.

also called 'ledgerstone' they come in 6x24 panels. 'stacked stone'. diff names are used.

sometimes they have longer, thinner pieces.

at my tile place, they have an entire room dedicated to fireplace tiles. these stacked stone options. and there are no less than 200 of them

these are called split face. these are marble

this is a large basalt tile, smooth/honed finish. when you seal them they turn a darker black. I have this in my shower as an edging. I think on a modern fireplace, the basalt is a natural choice.

these are the regular 12x12 sheets of basalt. basalt is cooled lava. and it comes in many diff finishes.

however, this one looks really nice too. this a smooth cut basalt linear tile

**love this look**

is this how yours is supposed to end up like? and then just tile on the face?

basalt comes in a million shapes, sizes, cuts, and colors/finishes.

these large striated basalt tiles are also cool.

they come like this, or grooved, chiseled, flamed, honed, leathered, polished, (different gray tones are also avail)

I love the one above w/the red chair. I'd do that one on yours.

this one. It's Norstone Ebony IL fireplace-basalt tile **and it comes in the gray option*** (but I like the black better)

https://www.norstoneusa.com/products/lynia-mosaic-tiles/ebony/

https://www.norstoneusa.com/products/large-format-stone-veneer/ebony-basalt/

Here's the cement gray color

this company also has a lot of other colors and finishes if you don't want this smooth ebony choice.

If you want a diff look, tell me what you want, and i'll tell you where to get it

rfharmon thanked Beth H. :
  • rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

@Beth H. :, you dropped so many amazing jewels here! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I feel like a total failure at the moment and will definitely take you up on your offer to help me locate the materials after I spend some time fully considering your options. Thanks again for these! I so appreciate each and every option!!!

Here is a picture of what I thought I was getting. A concrete minimalist fireplace. :-/

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 år sedan

did you give them a picture of that^

I assume you wanted the insets. Ok, so the one above is fully cured. yours is not. keep that in mind. as for the finishing, Yeah, this one looks a little different!

To be honest though, I like the smooth black basalt tile so much better than a raw cement finish.

But, if the raw cement is what you want, have a cement guy come out and put on the finishing finish for you.

rfharmon thanked Beth H. :
  • rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

@Beth H. : we did give him a picture and several diy videos. 😌

my husband and I have gone back and forth about the tv being recessed. I think it’s played out to recess a rv. He think it’s an eyesore to walk into our home and see a tv. Do you have an opinion on this? Here’s a photo from the front door:

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 år sedan

i think a recessed is nice. but you're locked into that size.

make sure you post a finished pic!

• PRO
    The Nielsen Collection
    3 år sedan

I haven't had any problem with getting Airslate . Just did a fireplace in Delhi but it may have to come from Spain . Sorry about that as it's a great product . Did you get to see the product ?

• rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

After purchasing paradigm tower floors (https://www.paradigmflooring.net/20mil-products-1/tower-con2004pad) and after seeing this adorable picture of Dwayne Wade (retired Miami beat basketball player) with his daughter and loving the simplisty of his home...

I decided to just design the interior of my house to my liking and to just dry wall the windows if they don’t work with the final decor.

that being said, I still want a modern concrete look. like above but within my budget, lol. Unless, there are affordable suggestions to create his look. Here are my fave inspiration pictures.

• rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

@Beth H. : i also love the basalt look But tried to find local samples and the stuff I located was sold out.I could never find the flat interlocking basalt and I also love the black flats tiles that you recommended.

I would leave the faux concrete but it also has cracks on it and looks like it wasn’t done with any effort for it to ever work.

if you’re still willing to help me find materials, it would be grately appreciated!!!!!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 år sedan

you can't find a place to order the basalt? what about the link I gave you for the actual tile? Norstone USA?

if you want the concrete look, you could try very large porcelain tiles. (24x48" panels) Tilebar has some of those.

that size would look like this

https://www.tilebar.com/collection/tile-mosaic-sub-categories/large-format-tile.html?filtermaterial=Porcelain%2CCeramic&filtersize=24x48%2B%2B

and they also have large format tiles that look like cement (12x24 or 24x24 sizes)

why don't you visit here and order some samples?

here are the metallics

https://www.tilebar.com/collection/porcelain-tile/shop-by-look-porcelain/metallic.html

and here are some of the large format. look at the Angela Harris tiles

https://www.tilebar.com/collection/tile-mosaic-sub-categories/large-format-tile.html?filtermaterial=Porcelain%2CCeramic

for example, look at this one in the light silver. it's a large panel. You'd have to have complete coverage on this tile, so make sure you hire an expert installer

https://www.tilebar.com/angela-harris-inspira-light-silver-24x48-porcelain-tile.html

do you like any of these?

I still like that basalt, so contact Norstone

https://www.norstoneusa.com/products/large-format-stone-veneer/ebony-basalt/

• PRO
    The Nielsen Collection
    3 år sedan

If still interested in airslate by Porcelanosa it is in stock at the Dallas warehouse call 214.377.2327 ask for Jennifer .

rfharmon thanked The Nielsen Collection
  • rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

@Beth H. : thank you for your recommendations! I called northstone today to try to buy the grey tile but unfortunately it is sold out until next month. I’m going to visit a building that the black is installed on locally to consider that option tomorrow. Please stay tuned...

p.s. I didn’t realize the NorCal stone was basalt. My apologies.

• rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

@theneilsoncollection, thank you! I’ll take a look at the Porcelanosa option tomorrow too!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 år sedan

yes! basalt. I did mention that, I think! did they have the black one like the one in the pic?

I know they have the gray, but I think this black one would be perfect

oh, I just saw this gray one that they have. is this too busy looking for you? the color is gorgeous

https://www.norstoneusa.com/blog/how-pattern-impacts-stone-installations/

this place may carry the same material as norstzne:

https://www.materialbank.com/a30ae39fb5134a3c8613ea72b4981ed5

Home depot has one like this basalt

did you look at this one? Tilebar has it under Angela Harris (and they have a sample,,) but wayfair carries it as well:

https://www.wayfair.com/Ivy-Hill-Tile--Angela-Harris-24-x-48-Porcelain-Metal-look-Wall-and-Floor-Tile-TLSNAHBLSDRK24X48-L2970-K~SOST3349.html

these are 24x48, but come in 12x24, 24x24

they have it in this steel color too https://www.tilebar.com/angela-harris-inspira-steel-24x24-porcelain-tile.html

• rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

@Beth H. :so many good gems here! I’m so excited about them all! Thank you! Thank you! Thanks you!!

I’m sure that I’ll be able to make a decision tomorrow... stay tuned!!! I’m super excited!!!!! Thanks, again!!

• User
    3 år sedan

3 and 5

• rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

As suggested, I bought the black basalt fireplace tile and I loved it!!!!!! Thank you so very much for the recommendation!!!

Now, I am wondering if I am making a mistake recessing my great room tv? My husband is concerned that not recessing it would be a eye sore walking into the house since it’s the 1st thing you see upon entry. I’m concerned recessing the tv ages the house renovation. I also would like to have a fireplace mantle but realize that won’t be feasible, given the fireplace is only 8ft tall and 6ft wide. Cc’ing @Beth H. :

• rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

just in case anyone is willing to lend me their opinions, for your convenience and as an expression of my gratitude, I’m posting a black fireplace not recessed here:

and a recessed black fireplace here:

• rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

Would anyone be willing to share their thoughts on recessed tvs on fireplaces? 😭

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 år sedan

you already have the insert done, yes? just keep it. and know you'll forever be stuck w/that size tv. back in the 90's they did all those recessed niches. (when tv's were 2' deep!) and they all look very dated now. but somehow, over the fireplace like shown, it doesn't look bad.

PS< so glad you went w/the basalt. were you able to get the Norstone?

• rfharmon
    Författare
    3 år sedan

@Beth H. :, thank you for your response, Beth. I think I won this battle and we will frame the recessed tv section. It just too much commitment.

I bought the exact tile that you recommended. I LOVE THR TILE but the tile guys hate it b/c the corners are rough at the edges. They want to use schluter tile trim on the corners. We’re at odds about that.

Have you ever used this tile or do you have any tips for installation?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 år sedan

don't they have bullnose edging for that tile? did you ask? I know they make specific corner pieces for this tile.

it's called the finger joint panel. this is what you need for the edges

you could have them use a black jolly. it would blend w/the basalt. (but I think the corner piece would be a smoother look)

i actually have basalt in my shower and edged it with basalt chair rails (the inner basalt pieces were3/4" thick. I had to buy space since this was all of the cement tile I had)

the guys could get some straight basalt tiles and cut them like this for the edges.

oh, one more thing. very important you do this. Basalt has tiny pin holes on the surface. If you don't seal it prior, when they install it and grout, grout/mortar will adhere to those tiny pin holes. you don't want this.

it will end up like this (and I'm sure you're using black or charcoal grout, but you still don't want it. )

enlarge my pic of the shower. see how black and smooth it is? I sealed all of those tiles on that wall prior to install. the others are cement.

get some sealer. I used the impregnating enhancer from 511 or Aquamix. (it deepens the black too) get out each sheet of tile and apply the sealer. only the tops, don't let it drip down the sides. leave it on for 1-2 mins, and buff w/a clean cloth. Do it while you watching tv or whatever. don't expect the tile guys to do it, they won't. And those grout release products don't work very well after the fact. trust me on this one. seal it first.

the enhancers will deepen the black color. (similar to how they look when wet). if you don't want this, just get the regular seal.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.