paulc313

Kitchen Island Horizontal or Vertical

paulc313
3 år sedan

Hello, I was looking for advice about whether we should have our kitchen island horizontal or vertical? On our plans it's been put as vertical with the hob facing the sink. I've put red lines of where a step is is down to the family room. The two things we can't change about the kitchen are the location of the hob and the sink. Appreciate any advice.

Kommentarer (14)

• Daisy England
    3 år sedan

As it is.

• Carolina
    3 år sedan

Yup, I agree. As it is.

• Nicholas Scott
    3 år sedan

As it is. It's opposite the sink, making emptying pots of boiling water easier.

• keiblem
    3 år sedan

Fine as it is, for the same reason pointed out by Nicholas Scott, and also because this way you have the all important workspace either side of the hob.

My only criticism is, and this is minor nitpicking, I would prefer the hob and sink to be directly opposite each other rather than slightly offset as they are on the plan.

• PRO
    Run for the Hills
    3 år sedan

Hi Paul! We think the placement of the island works well where it, helping to zone your kitchen and dining area, and also allows the kitchen to feel larger as well. For best flow, we think you should keep it as suggested in the plan above.

• Ellie
    3 år sedan

On the plan it looks better that way, is it just base units/sink that would be behind it?

• cannonja
    3 år sedan

Agree with previous comments
    As is

Mainly due to the room ratio,
    If it was changed it would have to be made narrower ,
    Architect has it spot on, just don't like the hob on the island but thats my personal taste

• rinked
    3 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 3 år sedan

Working triangle is quite large (says she who's fridge is in the bootroom next to the kitchen). Personally I like my sink and cooktop close to eachother, for a variety of reasons.

With a kitchen that size, I'd want my island to be big, so I can do just about all cooking and cutting while having contact with family/friends. Your current design has a massive amount of countertop, but a rather small island.

If you like it as is, please disregard what I just said. ;)

• Ellie
    3 år sedan

How long is the island and how much gap do you have either side of it?

• Carolina
    3 år sedan

I agree, your island could be larger. It's more social when you don't have to spend a large amount of time with your back to everyone else in the room. And you have the space for it.

• paulc313
    Författare
    3 år sedan

@Ellie yes it would be just the base units and the sink behind it. The island would be 2.4metres in length and 1.3m in width.

• paulc313
    Författare
    3 år sedan

@rinked thanks for the comments and picture. We didn't want the island to impose too much on the living area. There is a step down so if you were sitting in the living area looking at the kitchen you would be looking up at it. With the island right next to the step it may feel like it's towering over the living space.

• rinked
    3 år sedan

With a nice finish (and that's something different to each of us), I think you'll be fine.

Wandsworth Town · Mer info

Client Photos · Mer info

Kitchens · Mer info

Display Home: Botanica Split Level · Mer info

Contemporary Kitchen · Mer info

• keiblem
    3 år sedan

I am afraid I am swimming against the tide. I don’t think the island should be bigger and neither do I think it should divide the staircase and kitchen in two like the above image. You are right Paulc313, regardless of the perfect finish, it would tower over the living area and it would be annoying to have to navigate around it every time you climb the stairs.

I think you are on the right track with what you have. To remove any doubt, before you commit, why not construct a dummy island with cardboard boxes.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.