hillary_maclean14

exterior ugly house help!

hillary maclean
2 månader sedan

Hi! I am a first time home owner. We found a great deal on a little bit of an ugly duckling. It is very beautiful on the inside but the outside needs some help. I have no good ideas on what we could do to jazz it up. I’m thinking maybe a big covered porch the whole front of the house with stairs down the middle leading to the front door. All suggestions welcome

Kommentarer (16)

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 månader sedan

Congratulations! To get you more help from the really creative people here, can you post more pix from all angles? As well, where is the home located? How big is the property? And, lastly, any colors you particularly like?

• hillary maclean
    Författare
    2 månader sedan

It’s sitting on just over an acre and a half, I don’t have any particular Color’s we love. I love nature inspired ones for sure and am I big fan of natural wood! Hope this helps

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 månader sedan

What’s the budget? Do you have a pretty view that would make front porch sitting enjoyable?

• hillary maclean
    Författare
    2 månader sedan

Yes it looks out at rolling hills and pretty fields! The budget is around 100k

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    2 månader sedan

Front deck/porch will look fantastic. Maybe changing the color of the house to stand up more can help

• Maureen
    2 månader sedan
    Ändrades senast: 2 månader sedan

For $100K, I’d look for a local pro who can suggest a range of improvements and the cost per item. Really consider your priorities (need vs want) and what you could do down road. Get a quote on painting as well and don’t paint until you have the rest figured out, so it enhances the look.

My priority would be creating a walkway from driveway (landscaping could be added now or in future, as it will have a major impact) ) and a more functional/attractive entrance.

Depending on how you see yourself using the front yard, do in a “stage two”, but you may decide improved backyard usage would be a better decision. In the meantime, drive around to see what others have done, if there are similar homes in the vicinity. It‘s a big investment and you want to be sure of your decisions. Always have in mind the big picture.

• deegw
    2 månader sedan

Nice!

I agree that a hardscape plan - an upgraded front porch, a walkway with a landing under the door, plant beds with stone edging, and perhaps a stone wall, - should be part of your update.

Don't skimp on the hardscape, a wide gracefully curved walkway will add much more curb appeal than a thin L-shaped one. The landscape will grow, hardscape won't.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 månader sedan

Your home is a raised ranch and it requires a better way to get to the front door short of going up a set of ugly wood steps. IMO the steps should not be sideways but directly in front. Here are some images of homes similar to yours that have steps in the front and have improved the homes by adding a different-facing material to the bottom portion of the home

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 månader sedan

Below is a visual of my suggestions.

- Build a small roof above the porch (nice option but can be skipped)

- Enlarge the frames around the windows

- Install white vertical siding around the front door area

- Install a new wood front door and 2 barn style black sconces

- Paint the roof black and the siding charcoal - all trim in white

- Build a railing for the porch with a wood floor and stairs

- Install lattice panels under the porch and paint the same colour as siding

- Work on the landscaping (something like grasses are easy to care for) and install a walkway to driveway

• Kat M
    2 månader sedan

What style do you like because this could be really different, if you wanted. Here is an example of a modern overhang, deck, stairs, on a flat fronted house. I think @Maureen is correct, you should consult with a local pro and work out just what you want.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 månader sedan

^^^That’s really nice. I would do an attractive porch large enough for a few seats so you can enjoy the view with a cup of coffee or glass of wine.

• PRO
    Princeton Design Collaborative
    2 månader sedan

How exciting to be a new home owner! Here is a story you may find of interest on a project we did to help a client improve the exterior of his house .

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/before-and-after-exterior-gets-a-thoroughly-modern-makeover-stsetivw-vs~173126282

• PRO
    Janiczek Homes
    förra månaden

Hi Hillary,

Ugly duckling or complete blank slate?? I saw your post and immediately thought of the Bright Bazaar blogger who bought a similar, blank slate-type of home. He updated his home with new landscaping, walkways, and shingles. I attached a few photos that might inspire!

Best wishes with making your new house a home!

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    förra månaden

If your budget is really $100K, it would be worth it to hire an architect and/or landscape architect on a consultation basis to give you some ideas that would work. OGM's suggestion for a raised front porch is probably worth pursuing, with lattice under the porch and lots of plantings in front of the lattice.

• Design Fan
    förra månaden
    Ändrades senast: förra månaden

Congratulations on your home! Great suggestions for your entryway, hardscape and landscape. Also consider outdoor lighting and connecting the garage to the house in some way even if it is a covered walkway for rainy, cold days.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.