ambethea7

Need help with our patio please.

Ann-Marie
10 år sedan
This is our large patio area. We have a long farm table from Restoration Hardware. We will be adding 6 more of the industrial chairs & adding 2 larger arm chairs at the end of the table. My question to you is what would you do with the rest? We are contemplating brightening it up a bit with painting the roof & beams white. Maybe some outdoor curtain panels. What would you suggest? What about the fireplace & sitting area at the end. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Kommentarer (72)

• Judy M
    10 år sedan
    Or use an outdoor rug and line a for pop of color.
    http://houzz.com/photos/127955
    Ann-Marie thanked Judy M
  • PRO
    Serenity Health & Home Decor
    10 år sedan
    Maybe a nice old-style wall hanging fountain?
    Ann-Marie thanked Serenity Health & Home Decor
  • PRO
    Design Eternal LLC
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    Nice space but could be nicer and could have a lot more of presence with some brightness. I personally would try to keep the ceiling in it's original finish. Maybe some sanding and clear coating will brighten it up a little but that is a whole lot more work than just painting. In the mean time one of the things I would consider thinking about not necessarily end up going is adding some sky lights !. I would also consider bringing some bright colors in some of the design elements, such as the ceiling fans, the seat cushions in the back lounge area. and maybe add modern low profile seat cushions to the dining seats as well. I would look for more interesting and brighter wall lamps, brighter larger floor mats, ,some art work on the walls (gotta be carful with that !) . some outdoor bright rugs that goes under the table and in the lounge area in order to make the beauty of the furniture stand out.. The space looks nice but looks a bit dry and can use some softening to make it more inviting and cozier. Just my personal opinion if it was my space. I think of it as showcasing all the great elements that the space already has.. hope that makes sense.
    Ann-Marie thanked Design Eternal LLC
  • cookiefsms
    10 år sedan
    just brighten up everything with vibrant colors..in pillows ..tied back see through drapes...containers with fake lemons...maybe even shutters on the windows painted in a bright color..i am all about color..a little color goes a long way..without overdoing things..good luck
    Ann-Marie thanked cookiefsms
  • gbeckman
    10 år sedan
    Great porch! If you want to paint the ceiling and beams, I suggest you go very dark with it (and string some little white lights as some others have suggested). If it were me, the first thing I would do is paint all of the white window trim kettle black. Add big rustic light fixtures. Then a rug on the floor and other textiles to soften up the hard lines and give it texture. Nice chunky centerpiece on the table. Together, these techniques will give you an old world charm that will be awesome. Good luck!
    Ann-Marie thanked gbeckman
  • groveraxle
    10 år sedan
    A touch of Morocco, I think. Two sconces for your consideration, along with some chair pads, a couple of iron candlesticks, and a big plant.
    Ann-Marie thanked groveraxle
  • Connie Bundy
    10 år sedan
    I would paint it, too. But, traditionally, a good ceiling porch paint color is sky blue...maybe very pale? Just a thought. IMO, it would be a bit unexpected, but not really wild. I like light ceilings, and paint will help preserve your wood. Of course, your climate makes a difference in how much of a beating your wood takes, just my personal thoughts. Also, where I live, outdoor curtains would be blown into the next county in the first day they are hung, so keep the weather in mind:=) IMO, I would not mess with the brick, because I am guessing there is brick elsewhere on the house. I like the idea others have mentioned about making your door light fixture more of a statement.
    Ann-Marie thanked Connie Bundy
  • MaryAnn McCormack
    10 år sedan
    I would not paint the wood, first I would try to brighten with accessories, bring lots of outdoor lighting, so many options as others have suggusted. Then if it still feels too dark you could always paint, I like the idea of the light blue, but I would go for a washed or distressed painted finish, or even a semi-transparent stain.
    Ann-Marie thanked MaryAnn McCormack
  • kathleen currie
    10 år sedan
    thx shane, i think skylights would be a great solution--yes, they are not cheap to install, but if they were located above the windows the inside of the home would benefit greatly!! judy m's pics are great and would go with almost any 'decorating' choice. grover nailed it immediately with the light fixture--be sure to tie it in with the fans. however you finish the space, it would be nice to see the fans in contrast to the ceiling--what a great feature
    i love the idea of 'curtains' especially around the posts but be careful of the material you choose--too light and they stick to the post in the breeze and too heavy the stand like soldiers.
    the space to the left of the fireplace could use something reflective -- it's pretty dark in there!
    if you choose to paint/stain the roof, choose something that will blend well with the brick, perhaps a soft gray. staple a large trial piece of your paint colour next to the brick and stand back to view, making sure you staple to the roof, not the wall; the colour will look completely different.
    AMAZING SPACE !! how could you NOT buy this house!!
    Ann-Marie thanked kathleen currie
  • patsyjean
    10 år sedan
    Nice place! I don't know that it would be a good idea to paint the wood on the ceiling. Well, maybe Paint the ceiling but leave the beams natural.. Is there anyway to put in a couple of skylights?
    Ann-Marie thanked patsyjean
  • tucker321
    10 år sedan
    I think some outdoor ceiling fans would help.
    Ann-Marie thanked tucker321
  • groveraxle
    10 år sedan
    Hermosa Beach Mediterranean / Moroccan - Interior Design · Mer info

Mediterranean Classic · Mer info
    Ann-Marie thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 år sedan
    You could add painted wood such as a beadboard product, in white to the ceiling and/ or you could add skylights to the patio roof givng you more natural light during the day. Adding more light, such as track lights, around the perimeter is also another way to bring in more light.
    Ann-Marie thanked Stamps Design Services
  • Vicki Mach
    10 år sedan
    We have a similar screened in porch with dark brick walls and I really wanted natural wood for the ceiling. The contractor talked me into installing 4 inch wood boards, painted white. I have to say, I am glad I listened to him. It lightened up the whole space and also helped lighten up or kitchen and dining room. We have received so many compliments on the room and the great looking ceiling! I think the white would look great with the white trim around your door and window. Good luck with your project.
    Ann-Marie thanked Vicki Mach
  • chapada
    10 år sedan
    Up date the furniture and change the sconces for an updated look. Add green plants
    Ann-Marie thanked chapada
  • Vicki Mach
    10 år sedan
    I forgot to mention, the skylights also helped brighten up the room.
    Ann-Marie thanked Vicki Mach
  • mmilos
    10 år sedan
    I think I would remove the built-in perimeter bench seating to give some more space. I would also remodel the interior of the fireplace for either a built-in BBQ or raised hearth for open fire.

Adding some comfy lounge chairs by your fireplace would be real nice on cool evenings. I would keep the elements neutral and punch it up with colorful throw pillows and drapery panels to soften the porch posts.

Provence Collection · Mer info
    Ann-Marie thanked mmilos
  • Ruth Felice
    10 år sedan
    loooove it, but dont paint the beams.you can stain them semi transparent in a lighter toneof the brick and make light natural upholstered seating in outdoor material.on the benches and maybe an ottoman in a coordinating color.i would also put light flowing curtains that you could close for privacy buy a large sisel rug for the dining area.have you thought of ceiling fans in the area,they give a nice breeze.
    Ann-Marie thanked Ruth Felice
  • PRO
    D O M | Architecture interior
    10 år sedan
    I think you need to start with fireplace and living room. Whitewashed ceiling and a bit of a wall. Remove boards and put garden furniture.
    Ann-Marie thanked D O M | Architecture interior
  • PRO
    D O M | Architecture interior
    10 år sedan
    [houzz=
    Rustic Exterior · Mer info
    ], [houzz=
    Historic Transformation · Mer info
    ]
    Ann-Marie thanked D O M | Architecture interior
  • SNZTH
    10 år sedan
    Wow, what a wonderful outdoor space. Painting in between the beams white is another option. I'd paint the beautiful floating wooden seating you have, and the ceiling fan blades - white too. Place some long chair cushions for comfy bottoms and some (pvc) patio blinds.

As for the fireplace area, some giant outdoor beanbags or floor cushions and a larger area rug. And, I know it sounds cliched, but some fairy lights along the top would be sweet - and give some gentler lighting when sitting around the fire at night.

P.S: A screen and potted plants by the entrance, or even a "mud room" type storage space.
    Ann-Marie thanked SNZTH
  • mnmom80
    10 år sedan
    I think washing the ceiling in a grayish wash - similar to your outdoor dining table would be really pretty. Then you could do some soft color with pillows, rug, etc. Grayish tones look great with brick.
    Ann-Marie thanked mnmom80
  • mousemaker
    10 år sedan
    I like JudyM's pictures too. I am looking for pictures of how the space makes you feel--which I think is why you spend so much time there :) I love wisteria but I k now it's bad for buildings--it would be beautiful though.
    Something French/Italian/Spanish country...dreamy :)
    Ann-Marie thanked mousemaker
  • mousemaker
    10 år sedan
    file:///C:/Users/Liz/Pictures/IMG_6887cedar%20hill

oh grrrr I knew I had another one!
  • mousemaker
    10 år sedan
    Garapa decking with Oklahoma stone patio and Cedar Pergola · Mer info

http://www.angelenoliving.com/sites/d7dk.localhost/files//styles/620wide/public/blog-images/160113_00/1900-N-Vista-St-17.jpg

the second pic wouldn't work but I think it's beautiful and sort of what I was thinking. not that it matters :)
  • emjfla
    10 år sedan
    Oh what fun I could have with this patio! We have a similar size patio, with one lengthwise section (of the house) covered and next to the pool all enclosed within a screen area (Florida room). I'd say the covered patio is about the same width as yours. So... here goes... I'd do one of two things with the ceiling: 1) Paint between the beams a pale, pale blue (simulating the sky), or if this is just "too out there" for you, paint a creamy color with just a tad bit of your brick color mixed in and still just paint between the beams. If you need or want to paint the beams, paint them a contrasting dark (and shiny color)... think espresso, or coffee bean, etc. Then just go wild with colors and accessories. Turquoise, orange, lime green (anything but primary colors). Cushion the built ins at the one end with seat cushions and pillows that complement the 2 larger arm chairs you plan to use at the table. I love the table and chairs! Complete the built in area with some sort of a seating arrangement that faces the fire place (?) area. On your fabulous table place, a couple of tall lanterns that you can fill with pillar candles for ambiance at night. Then... go wild with planting pots and whatever plants grow well in your area. I do the plants also and place colorful metal stakes of birds and flowers in the pots to add color in the winter season when plant aren't doing as well. You'd be surprised how you can also dress up an area like this to fit holidays (Fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter... the list goes on). Most of all... have fun with it! You can be more casual in an outside room than you can be inside... still make sure the inside decor flows to the outside... just on a "crazier" scale! Please post pics AFTER. Oh... one last thought... try an outdoor area rug in one or the other areas (either dining or sitting). It indicates a separate area, like a room divider.
    Ann-Marie thanked emjfla
  • gra688
    10 år sedan
    wow... only in my dreams...
    Ann-Marie thanked gra688
  • Rhonda Petrillo
    10 år sedan
    That fireplace could really be a nice focal point but it needs some reworking. If it is possible take the light colored brick out and have it be a nice big open fireplace. Wall in the screened in side of the fireplace to match the other side for balance. Paint it white to match the trim work on your home. Remove the benches by the fireplace on each side. Paint the long bench back white and sand, stain and seal the bench a nice warm wood tone. Paint the framing around the screen and posts the same white to match the home trim. It will brighten it and be a nice contrast with the green yard:
    Bluff Plantation · Mer info
    Leave the beams the same warm wood tone as the bench. (Continuity is important.) Contrast is always stunning. Paint the ceiling in between the beams the same white used elsewhere. Or as suggested earlier a nice blue- check this ceiling out:
    Quinlan Residence · Mer info

It is a long space. To break it up I would suggest potted plants on the bench and on the ground in groupings- remember the principle of odd numbers- 3 is good.. Include some draping plants and color. I always like scented plants like jasmine but there are many colorful vines and flowering plants that do well in shade. I agree the light fixture on the house is not to scale. That could really be decorative- it seems to be in an odd place not close to the door. Can it be moved over? I'm not sure about the outdoor curtain panels- I guess they would stop at the bench? All in all I think you have a wonderful space!
    Ann-Marie thanked Rhonda Petrillo
  • brickln
    10 år sedan
    Don't do anything- leave it completely open to changing décor to suit the season and your fancy. We're all coming over for Oktoberfest, ok?
    Ann-Marie thanked brickln
  • PRO
    Eric Eckert Real Estate - HER Realtors
    10 år sedan
    Not white because it will show dirt and spider webs. I like Statewide Cabinetry's ideas of painting the ceiling and not painting the rafters. I think brown that has a hint of red would blend more with the wood and brick. That's a party porch!
    Ann-Marie thanked Eric Eckert Real Estate - HER Realtors
  • Laurel Ennis
    10 år sedan
    Nice porch. I'd pickle the brick in semi-transparent white or ochre yellow to lighten it up. Then I'd paint the ceiling a pale aqua. Use big carriage lantern lights.
    Ann-Marie thanked Laurel Ennis
  • Laurel Ennis
    10 år sedan
    The argument that white shows the spiders is a good thing. You don't want stealth spiders plopping down onto your table. If you can see them, you can shoo them away!
    Ann-Marie thanked Laurel Ennis
  • abbiecat
    10 år sedan
    Get the linen-look cloth drop-cloths from your local home improvement store ask EVERY FRIEND to make a bench cushion 36 inches wide and the depth of the bench seat !!! Stuff them with the plastic bags from the grocery store. Light bright and cozy and CHEAP !!
    Ann-Marie thanked abbiecat
  • PRO
    Posh Patios
    10 år sedan
    Does the roof show plywood or was it capped with T&G. I would T&G the ceiling with a cream color and paint the rafter beams a gray...maybe.
    Ann-Marie thanked Posh Patios
  • nonuser
    10 år sedan
    Ceiling lt gray or lt taupe to accent the brick. I'd try blue like on the chair pillows on the benches near the fireplace.
    Ann-Marie thanked nonuser
  • Jami A
    10 år sedan
    Fantastic space. Maybe increase the light fixture size next to the door and choose a design similar to the lantern on the table. I live in Tennessee and ironworks would look great on the brick of the house behind the table. I like the idea of window treatments maybe like a mosquito type netting keeping the look light and airy. If possible get an outside sofa and coffee table and use the sofa cushions for the pop of color. I know someone that can make you a coffee table to match the dining table. Hope this helps
    Ann-Marie thanked Jami A
  • makooch
    10 år sedan
    An orange or red clay colored paint on rafters and ceiling would reflect a richness down to walls and floors and two tone ceiling alludes to a pergola or outdoors environs.
    Ann-Marie thanked makooch
  • Ann-Marie
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    My goodness, you all had such WONDERFUL suggestions and such kind things to say about our space! I can't wait to get started and I will for sure post the final pictures once we are finished. Here is the direction we are going to take thanks to a compilation of many of your suggestions. We are thinking simple & rustic.....

- Definitely adding larger (to scale) lighting by the door
    - leave the ceiling beams a natural stain & paint the ceiling in between a pale, pale blue. I loved the color
    piazza blue that petrillo and petrillo posted in one of their pictures from Quinlan Residence.
    - The fireplace area we will rip out the cabinets, finish the fireplace to a raised hearth for open fire, create a mantle, either make both sides of the fireplace open or closed so they match, and probably remove the built ins.
    - As we add accessories we'll see what we think about adding soft curtains, classy string lights, cushions, pillows, color, etc.

Now my question is what do you think about the long bench seating, the back & the beams along the screen area. Should that all be painted? (white? soft cream?) Should we paint the beams & back and leave bench seat naturally stained? Or just leave it all natural?
  • silverfleet
    10 år sedan
    What an absolutely gorgeous patio! I agree with those who said it needs fabric and color. I would NOT paint the ceiling. I cannot tell exactly the material but I would try everything else before I did that. I live in an old adobe (real adobe) house in Arizona. Years ago someone painted parts of the ceiling with off-white paint. It was a real chore to restore it to its original beauty but it was well worth it. I think this porch could be everything you want and more......without changing the paint. Good luck! It is a fabulous space.
    Ann-Marie thanked silverfleet
  • mousemaker
    10 år sedan
    Did you see "Out of Africa" ? remember the veranda (or whatever it's called) ? I think your ideas sound wonderful. I think painting the long bench is a good idea and I don't usually vote for painting anything :)
    if you did stain it though it would still look very nice and with pillows and lights it would be delightful.
  • Ann-Marie
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Here's a few more pictures....close up of ceiling & beams and the long bench seating, back & beams I'm in question of painting or just leaving a natural stain to protect the wood (sorry it wasn't good light).
  • Ann-Marie
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @Mousemaker- I haven't seen the movie, but now I need to :)
  • mmilos
    10 år sedan
    ^ On closer look the wood seems like it's just plain plywood. Nothing special. Consider painting it to lighten it, or add beadboard over the rafters to finish it off (painted white or a light blue).
    Ann-Marie thanked mmilos
  • Claire Callis
    10 år sedan
    Wow! This space is absolutely to die for! Pull in some color and liven the space up for a wonderful outdoor living space! SO jealous! Add pictures when your redesign is complete!!
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 år sedan
    I don't have time to read the numerous suggestions but in the old days they would paint porch ceilings a sky blue...not white. Makes people happy...maybe just a blue tint...
  • emjfla
    10 år sedan
    I'm thinking don't paint or stain the bench, etc... at least until you have done the other work. Then, stand back and determine what is needed. You might just be able to add a coat of lacquer to the wood so that they have a sheen to them or you might determine you need more brightness (white to match your window trim) or a classy and chic satin black which will make all the colors pop that you have around it. Yes, it's okay to use black paint with white paint across from it. I've done it and it really looked sharp. The colors ended up being white, black with a bright yellow here and there. It looked fantastic!
  • kathleen currie
    10 år sedan
    i would strongly suggest you use stain, not paint whatever you decide. a solid-hide stain can be almost ANY colour and hides the woodgrain. transparent/semi-transparent can be tinted but show the actual wood.
    i stained 2 cedar planters when i moved 10 years ago and painted the trim with marine enamel. they have kicked around the yard, the deck, the bush, the driveway . . .the marine paint disappeared years ago, the [solid hide] stain looks like it was done this spring. a wonder, considering this is the we[s]t coast!
  • PRO
    Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
    10 år sedan
    I get the feeling from looking at your pictures that this room is under an upper deck and it appears very shadowy. Or maybe it is just an overhead roof but the rafters make the area look like an unfinished room. I would consider ceiling panels to cover the exposed beams painted white or a sky blue. Then with all that great space, I would divide the porch up into "areas"- for instance a dining area with your table and chairs. Then I would set up a separate sitting area with the furniture around the fireplace. Best wishes!
  • aurilla
    10 år sedan
    I agree with some others who said paint the ceiling very pale blue and leave the rafters natural. Is this a roof or the underside of the second story. If it is a roof, you might consider a couple of small skylights near the back to bring in some more natural light as well.
  • mousemaker
    10 år sedan
    ambethea7--you must see the movie!!! :) and you might also like Isak Dinesen's books.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.