racheljane

Need help completing dining room

Rachel Jane
10 år sedan
I need some help with this room: eg. a square rug, lighting fixture, art /mirror, and anything else that would help to finish this room.

The upholstered chairs are lighter in colour than I remember ordering. I don't know what I was thinking! Not sure how true the colours will look in the pic, but the chairs are like a light, cool beige/bone, and the drapes are a rich, sheeny, kind of olive colour with a bluish tinge in certain light. Very warm , and probably would've looked better with a warmer colour chair.

However, too late, both were custom, so I now need ideas for colours and items that will pull the colours and the look together. As you can see, the dining set fills the room, and is adjacent to front door foyer, and there's no room for any additional furniture pieces.

Also would love some lighting ideas. Thanks!!

Kommentarer (24)

• Rachel Jane
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    more views
  • Rachel Jane
    Författare
    10 år sedan
  • dmitchell419
    10 år sedan
    Add a rug and enhance the table with either a large centerpiece or some other pieces.
  • rosecottagehome
    10 år sedan
    I could see something like this working for your space.
    Large Rectangle Hanging Capiz Pendant · Mer info
  • rosecottagehome
    10 år sedan
    A large painting/ print on the back wall will give your room an infusion of color.
  • Jennifer Abbott
    10 år sedan
    I think the room is off to a beautiful start! Hopefully, some of the pros will weigh in here soon. I don't think I'd do a rug because your floors are beautiful (and I personally hate rugs in the dining room).

What about a fabulous light that makes a statement? And large art on the back wall? You could pull in an accent color from an adjoining room in the art. What colors are you drawn to?
  • kcar66
    10 år sedan
    your artwork needs to be an oversized piece & I like the idea of the white round hanging bulbs shown by jabbott, would soften the look
  • PRO
    Lauren Elyse Art
    10 år sedan
    Since you've picked neutral colors you room is still a blank canvas that can go any way you'd like color wise. I have to disagree & say you don't need an oversized piece of art in the room because it's tantamount to squeezing in another piece of furniture, which you said the room can't handle, and would add a heaviness. I'd recommend browsing an art site such as Etsy, Society6, FineArtAmerica & the like to find a bunch of smaller works that you enjoy & creating a gallery wall to break up the space & give it a little movement.

There are tons of ways to do a gallery wall, check out this past Houzz article:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/a-gallery-wall-for-every-personality-stsetivw-vs~538039

It's pretty simple too, you can buy them right in the frames if that's the look you'd like.

A long , narrow mirror running on the wall opposite of the stairs would give the feeling of more space to the room while connecting it to the rest of the house - plus it's never a bad idea to catch one last glimpse as you run down the stairs and out the door to an event!

As far as lighting it really depends on what you do with the walls. I wouldn't suggest a complicated chandelier if you do a gallery wall, stick to something more simple and chic. Either a clean row of pendants or something singular that drops down over the center of the table & casts an interesting shadow.

http://www.designsponge.com/2010/06/under-100-pendant-lamps.html
    http://www.begoodesign.net/2012/05/07/modern-art-light-ceiling-pendant-mood-lamp-by-ikea/
    http://www.decoist.com/2013-07-16/minimalist-bachelor-pad-contemporary-style/
    http://www.et2lightinglights.com/product/et2-lighting-dazzle-pendant-e21155-20pc.html
    http://www.worldoffemale.com/adorn-your-home-with-pendant-lighting-fixtures/

Hope that gives you some ideas to start!
  • unwantedadvice
    10 år sedan
    I think as long as your rug has the olive color in it and artwork reflects the same you should be fine. I would also, as mentioned, find a nice centerpiece for your table. Nice start! :)
  • PRO
    Art Geo
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    Painting.
    You can more see here.
    https://www.solomoonart.com
  • PRO
    ArtFromDenise
    10 år sedan
    A hand painted mural could give the illusion of much more depth.
  • Darzy
    10 år sedan
    I was thinking the same chandelier type as iplays10. A dramatic chandelier would look fab. So many chandeliers would look great in your space. Go big and bold and make a statement. In this case, I don't think you need an area rug.
    Alita Basketweave Lights · Mer info

Arteriors Zanadoo Polished Nickel Chandelier, Arteriors · Mer info

Solaris Modern 6-light Up Lighting Chandelier · Mer info

Currey and Company Rouleau Chandelier, Large · Mer info
  • PRO
    Mary Schannen
    10 år sedan
    Mirrors on the wall - BIG - makes the room look bigger.
  • Darzy
    10 år sedan
    Agree with the above that one large, beautiful art piece would look great. Any art you love (regardless of color) would work. You can get beautiful original art from etsy at a reasonable price.
    "Watermark" Abstract Art · Mer info

'Procession' Canvas · Mer info
  • PRO
    Mary Schannen
    10 år sedan
    Paint horizontal or vertical stripes on the wall - wide.
  • PRO
    Gina Perillo
    10 år sedan
    I have original abstract paintings in my Etsy Shop ~ I also offer custom paintings :)

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GPerillo?ref=si_shop
  • Rachel Jane
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. I've since realized that its not the contrast of the cool grey chairs against the drapes that bother me, but that the chairs don't mesh with the HD honeycomb blind which is cream with quite a yellowish undertone. It's bugging me so much I'm seriously considering replacing the blind with one with cooler undertones. Not right away, but eventually.

So honest opinion, am I better off biting the bullet and eventually changing out the blind, or do you really think I can pull together the warm and the cool with some artwork?
  • Kimberly
    10 år sedan
    I wouldn't worry with having everything so matchy -- cool and warm tones can go together!! :) I'm not sure if you are into the eclectic look, but add some artwork (I prefer fun -- like: http://www.etsy.com/shop/RozArt?ref=shop_sugg) and a nice chandelier (the ones mentioned above are all nice) and something fresh on the table. All of these suggestions will help the space feel more cozy. I would also suggest a different wall color (deeper? punch of color?) to pull the space together.
  • kcar66
    10 år sedan
    Do your other decorating first, then decide.
  • PRO
    Lauren Elyse Art
    10 år sedan
    Warm & cool can work well together. For me personally, I know when I don't like something I fixate on it & it's hard to move past it, but if you do decorate the rest of your space first and then go back to what you'd liked to have changed after sitting on it for a while, you'll see it's usually not that big a deal.
  • jmbharvey
    10 år sedan
    I love the clean lines of the room. if one big piece of art doesn't suit you, you can consider modifying the gallery idea by using an art ledge across the back wall. then you can choose some varied pieces in colour and size to add interest.
  • PRO
    Lamp & Shade Works
    10 år sedan
    We definitely agree a lighting fixture centered over the table would do great to help bring everything together. Darzy posted some great options that could work well the the style already going on. There are also limitless options on our website to choose from and check out. www.mylampshadeworks.com I would stay in the transitional to modern styles to complement the dining table or you could even go to an arts and crafts style to bring out the railing. Here are two options that we think would also look great!!
  • PRO
    Pacific Palette Design
    10 år sedan
    Hi,
    I love the space and the square table and of course you see it when you come done the stairs. I really like the Zanadoo Chandelier, I would put 1 large and 1 or 2 small at varying heights to.Since you are coming down the stairs you don't look into this type of Chandelier and that is key when you have the lights on. I would paint the back wall a lighter shade of the curtains and carry that color up the stairs. Either invest in a regional artist or some thing really fun, which only you know about.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.