kinginthenorth

Tableless man needs dining table recommendations

Jon H
10 år sedan
senast redigerad:10 år sedan
I recently bought a loft apartment. Since the apartment isn't very large, a goal of mine was to make sure that most of the furniture was a statement/conversation piece. 2 months ago I bought a rustic table from online, but once it arrived I realized I didn't love it. Finally last week, I got a divorce from it and sold it to my upstairs neighbor. Now I have a lot of empty space and a lot of potential. I'm also willing to change the chandelier. My favorite piece in the apartment is the steel trunk coffee table (pictured below) so something that would make me feel the same way would be awesome.
So please give me suggestions; the cooler the better.
PS - I can fit up to 60 inches if it's rectangular, or 48 if it's round.

Kommentarer (2,1k)

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 år sedan
    Tasi, tell me again how many inches you have between the table and the bar (wall)? Also, I agree with moving your plant to the right and placing a dolly underneath. Nice to have you back kiddo! :)
  • Vicki Bauer
    10 år sedan
    I'm trying to attach the image of the mustang backless bar stool.
  • Jon H
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Happy to be back. As presently configured, there are 48 inches between the bar wall and the end of the table (with the table being parallel to the wall). So the last thing I would like to do is over-clutter the space. Vicky the chair you recommended is interesting, and kind of similar to the tractor seat from restoration hardware that Karen recommended a while ago. That one costs like $400 (on the left). Yesterday I found a similar one on overstock for $160 (on the right). I'm not sure how i feel about them but wanted to share with the group, and was interested in seeing bar stool suggestions!
  • tlparks
    10 år sedan
    Look nice, but they look like a stubbed toe or poked shin waiting to happen. Meh, I know I'm a klutz. :)
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 år sedan
    I like them. They look comfortable and sturdy and have a foot rest. They combine an aged and industrial look which I feel will blend well with your other pieces.
  • groveraxle
    10 år sedan
    I like the tractor seats, too.
  • Vicki Bauer
    10 år sedan
    I LOVE the tractor seats but I didn't think they appealed to Tasi because we've shown them before. Maybe it was the RH model and $$$ that took the shine off. ;-)
  • Charlene Lynch
    10 år sedan
    wow, those are some nice seats... Where can I find some?
    By the way Tasi, your place is stunning. How's the view from the living room? It looks like it overlooks a gorgeous city.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 år sedan
    These are pricey at Horchow but I like them.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    Tasi, if you want to save money and still have something that will blend with your look I would suggest the simplicity of this RH stool.
    Remy backless Stool · Mer info

I changed out the 1st photo as I like the two tones on this one.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 år sedan
    Tasi, here is a tractor seat (no swivel) in cherry red. $136. on sale.
    IMAX Worldwide 10781 Leroy Tractor Seat Stool · Mer info

Imax Corp 20019 Dorset Aluminum Bar Stool - Rakuten.com Shopping · Mer info
  • Vicki Bauer
    10 år sedan
    Tasi, there are several really cool bar stools at this website. I think you'll know them when you see them and the prices are very very good. Just a few I like: retro walnut adjustable, Ashton Chestnut saddle, Valencia Oyster Grey (comfort), Cagliari Black Hydraulic, Tabouret 30-inch Metal, Ecco Adjustable, Furniture of America Ella Modern Design. Well, maybe more than a few. If you want the chairs to disappear, get a lighter color and low profile.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bar-Stools/Metal,/material,/2023/subcat.html?TID=BarStoolMod5
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 år sedan
    What are your thoughts on these Tasi?
  • Jon H
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    This one has already been recommended but wanted to survey the room. These look cool (and do match the Copenhagen spitfire chair) but in the context of the dining room, am not sure if they match as the table and chairs are more traditional/rustic, whereas these bar stools are more modern. What do you guys think? Can i go with something like this, or am I better off getting something more rustic like the tractor seat recommended by karen?
  • Jon H
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Copenhagen on left, bar stool on right. So kinda similar but not 100%
  • User
    10 år sedan
    I'm not in love with that stool. I've seen it many times, mostly at hair salons. That's the association I make with it. I prefer the industrial/steampunk look that Karen suggested. And don't forget these for over your counter:
  • groveraxle
    10 år sedan
    Do not like the Spitfire look-alike stool, plus it doesn't look comfortable. Two tractor seats are perfect. The plain iron ones, not the red.
  • Vicki Bauer
    10 år sedan
    I'm not personally invested in any of the barstools, but I think comfort depends on how long one sits at the bar. If I were going to be there for more than 30-45 min., I would want a padded seat and the support of a back. I love the tractor seat stools, and I like the idea of tying the rooms together since it's an open floor plan. I've never seen either stool in a hair salon and wonder just how common that is. @Tasi :: go out and sit on some bar stools before you make a final decision. The tractor seats win for being low profile. The spitfire takes the ribbon for comfort, but I'm basing that opinion on looks, not experience.
  • Vicki Bauer
    10 år sedan
    Hey, I'd like to ask the professionals, when do you sacrifice style for comfort or vice versa? I'm thinking of some great styles that lose their appeal once you put them into use.
  • groveraxle
    10 år sedan
    You never sacrifice style OR comfort. You can always have both if you look hard enough.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 år sedan
    Vicki, that's an interesting question. I always look to function (comfort) as the primary consideration. If a room does not function on levels to do its job or to make people comfortable, then whatever style that is supposed to exist is completely non-existent. When you walk into a "stunning" room and it becomes immediately apparent it cannot or does not meet the needs of whomever spends time in that space, all is lost because on an intuitive level we understand something is missing. We can't always put our finger on "it" but after a little while spent in that space, the mind begins to conjure up images of discomfort and of it not quite "fitting" or not really existing for any purpose other than to make a statement and to be a pretty face.
  • Vicki Bauer
    10 år sedan
    @groveraxle & karen paul :: thank you for taking time to give your professional opinions on style vs comfort. I've been in some very stylish homes/rooms that were to "die for" until taking a seat. What's with sofas today? The cushions feel like you're seated on a large over-inflated ball! My sofa is 36 years old and has been rebuilt and reupholstered, and I still love it! It's classic in design and comfortable and due for another rebuild and upholstery. It's hard to find the craftsman for the job. Point being, a new sofa would probably be less expensive, but I am very attached to what I have and can't find anything I like better. When I'm in the furniture showrooms and try out a sofa or chair, I don't want to feel like the cushion is pushing back (saying "It's time for you to leave"! Can you relate to this description? We don't have an Ethan Allen here, but I'm thinking that's my only hope for a new couch. Time for a "road trip"! ;-)
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 år sedan
    Vicki, I have two questions. Do you remember your sofa's manufacturer and what style is it? Thanks
  • Vicki Bauer
    10 år sedan
    Karen, I bought it at Ethan Allen and it's called the tuxedo style. The frame is hardwood. I was told it's worth reupholstering because it's hard to find sofas constructed like this today.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 år sedan
    I am not a fan of the spitfire stool.
  • anniau
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    Controversially I am a fan of having no stools. I like the place sleek and uncluttered.
    I would add a narrow console table on the 'hallway' side of the dining area - really useful when having people in for dinner and for dumping keys and phone when you come in.
    Bring on the big art!
  • Jon H
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Hey everyone. I've been out of commission because I broke my foot earlier this week. Last week I was on the verge of buying this mirror from Restoration Hardware (found it on sale) but it didn't fit in my car. I already have 2 large mirrors over my couch, but really liked this large round mirror (ROUND PALLADIAN MIRROR - 48" DIAM) and was considering buying it and putting it over where the bar stools would conceivably go. Would that work? Or is that overkill? I always thought that would be an excellent place for a large clock, but haven't been able to find a large clock that I like.
  • Jon H
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    it would look something like this...
  • Ramona
    9 år sedan
    Broken foot, I am familiar with all aspects of this issue. Follow dr's advice please, so no problems down the road. I like the mirror but am wondering about over kill. It will reflect your chandy, so that is a big plus. Others please weigh in.
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    tasi, you should leave the Photoshopping to the experts. Apparently, you need to leave the walking to the experts, as well. Sorry about the foot. ;-(

A great big no to the mirror. Go for art instead. Keep the eyes low with walls like this:
    TriBeCa loft · Mer info
  • safai
    9 år sedan
    I say no to that mirror. In fact I hate it. Plus the shape doesn't compliment your Sputnik. It's all round.......
    I would go for art as Grover suggested. So cool!
  • indomom
    9 år sedan
    Agree with "no" to the mirror. I think it would actually detract from Sputnik.
  • Jon H
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    What are your feelings on a giant clock up there? Anybody have any suggestions?
  • Depo
    9 år sedan
    I think a clock would compete with your Sputnik as well. That space does not need to be decorated, IMO.
  • indomom
    9 år sedan
    Every wall doesn't have to have "stuff". I'd concentrate on your eye level art before thinking any more about your upper areas. Hate it about your foot. Hope it's not too painful.
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    NO mirror, NO clock, NOthing above the pass-through.
  • anniau
    9 år sedan
    Tasi ... Time for the art.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    9 år sedan
    Tasi, I just found the moon art on ZGallerie for $299.95 (with black floater frame). There's an additional charge for shipping. It's only 29" high and 72" long. I don't remember the size of your table but thought this could work well at eye level while seated?
    Moon Series | Canvas | Art by Type | Art | Z Gallerie · Mer info
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    I also found this abstract of the NYC skyline. Measures 48W X 36"H.
    Abstract Exhibit Canvas Print / Canvas Art By Frederick Lyle Morris · Mer info
  • Vicki Bauer
    9 år sedan
    Karen, we have a name for a sky that color .
    I love that you found the moon phases all in one frame!
    Grover, what do you think about closing off that pass thru? I think it's distracting (visually) but have no good ideas on how to hide it. I say, open it when you are using it. Otherwise, ......
  • Bridget
    9 år sedan
    Shutters on the past thru is a good idea, but with the view from Tasi home, I would want to look at it every chance. It also may make the kitchen feel cramped, if Tasi ever gets into cooking.
  • Vicki Bauer
    9 år sedan
    Good point, Bridget!
  • Bridget
    9 år sedan
    What has happen to Tasi? No new postings in months? Checked in to see latest posting, but nothing! Hope every thing is alright.
  • Depo
    9 år sedan
    Bridget, I know! I've been waiting patiently for him to drop in, but too am beginning to wonder!
  • Vicki Bauer
    9 år sedan
    OMG! I thought I'd been expelled from the group. ;-)
    I assume when Tasi has something to share, he'll be back. 'Til then, I'll merry along, just singin' my song ...
  • csevene
    9 år sedan
    me too, just checking in to see if I missed any updates ...
  • PRO
    User
    8 år sedan

Our design might inspire you.

Millcroft Residence Living Room & Dining Room · Mer info

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.