mrsmoose7

Choosing mirror above fireplace

mrsmoose7
10 år sedan
Hello, just finishing up my family room redesign. I want to mount a round mirror over the fireplace. I need help in deciding whether I should go with a silver framed mirror or a mother of pearl/ivory shell framed mirror. The colors in the room are: BM Granite on the fireplace accent wall, BM Revere Pewter on the other 3 walls and BM White Dove on the fireplace surround and trim. The carpet is Karastan Rossana in Coastal Sands (a light beige more towards taupe than a golden/sandy color). My sofas will be a medium gray tweedy/textured fabric, very clean lines with espresso wood. The chandelier in the center is chrome and crystal. My accent colors for accessories are dark teal and silver. My initial thought was to get a silver framed mirror, but I hesitate because of the different silver tones in the room (chrome chandelier, mercury glass vase, etc.) I am including pictures of the room and some mirrors I like.

Kommentarer (48)

• PRO
    Decor Team
    10 år sedan
    I like the second one.
    mrsmoose7 thanked Decor Team
  • bubblyjock
    10 år sedan
    Can I say, don't do it? Get yourself a cheapy one on CL or similar and give it a go, but with the vaulted ceiling and the skylight, you may find that the view from the sofa, or whatever you plan to sit on in front of the fire, will look quite strange and perhaps not particularly attractive, as you gaze up into the mirror!

Love the wall colour and everything else, though, and thanks for sharing the details!
    mrsmoose7 thanked bubblyjock
  • Carolina
    10 år sedan
    My vote goes to the first one.
    mrsmoose7 thanked Carolina
  • PRO
    The Practical Decorator
    10 år sedan
    Careful with a mirror over the fireplace. Remember, if the room is a room that most people are sitting in, then the mirror will be viewed from a seated position and will reflect very differently than if standing. Make sure you know what it will reflect. Love mirrors in rooms but not a fan of over the fireplace. Tip let it tip down into the room and perhaps capture something lovely on the coffee table instead of the kitchen across the room.
    mrsmoose7 thanked The Practical Decorator
  • carole
    10 år sedan
    i like the second one...
    mrsmoose7 thanked carole
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    10 år sedan
    What are the dimensions of the mirrors?
    mrsmoose7 thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • mrsmoose7
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    The mirror would face a wall that has a cutout/"window" in it. There is a hall that leads to another room, but the door remains closed. This wall in the foreground would be the one that my sofa would rest against, and I plan on hanging a painting above the sofa. The second shot was taken directly from the center of the fireplace to recreate the vantage point from a centered mirror - so it seems that whatever I put on the "hall wall" might reflect in the mirror. I was thinking of putting a tapestry on that wall, but my Indian tapestry has all sorts of colours (fairly muted though, plum, gray, brown with a little teal and berry) - would this tapestry clash with my teal/silver accessories in the family room? I am attaching some more images. Thank you in advance for all the suggestions.
  • Ann
    10 år sedan
    I'm wondering about the dimensions too?
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 år sedan
    I like fantastic art above fireplace , I agree when putting any mirror anywhere you have to be aware of what it reflects. You have such a nice plain palette you could really use some color in what ever you put there.
    mrsmoose7 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Ann
    10 år sedan
    The tapestry is interesting. Can you take another picture of it from further away so we can see it all. What are its dimensions? Also, what is the width of the the entire hearth and of just the firebox portion? Whatever you put up there, scale will be very, very important.
    mrsmoose7 thanked Ann
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 år sedan
    I am a believer that art you love never clashes with your home, in fact I guess I would rather decorate around a great piece of art than find art that "goes with" my room.I think the wall hanging gives you lots of colors to play with in this space. You know you can have more than one piece of art in a room. If you insist on a mirror it will have to be big.
    mrsmoose7 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Ann
    10 år sedan
    I think your situation is perfect for a simple large vertical canvas. I'd choose something with a width just barely less than but very close to the width of the firebox (not hearth). I'd hang it rather than lean it but either would work. Would your tapestry meet those size guidelines?
    [houzz=
    Abstract landscape painting · Mer info
    ]
    [houzz=
    British Colonial · Mer info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Park Slope Brownstone · Mer info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Girard Townhouse, Philadelphia, PA · Mer info
    ]
    mrsmoose7 thanked Ann
  • Carolina
    10 år sedan
    That tapestry is beautiful.
    mrsmoose7 thanked Carolina
  • carole
    10 år sedan
    ballaman,go play on FaceBook!!
  • mrsmoose7
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    The ivory mother of pearl mirror (#1) is 31.5" in diameter.

The Greek style silver mirror (#2) has an inner diameter of 24" (the mirror) and overall diameter of 36".

The room dimensions are 21' X 14' and the fireplace measures 62" W x 49" H, the mantel is 72" across. I have included a picture of the room with the dimensions. The cutout in the wall facing the fireplace is 55" and the wall beyond that is about 60" wide. The tapestry measures 30" X 48" I was thinking about placing this on the hall wall which is technically outside of the family room, but this might reflect in the mirror - that wall is Revere Pewter like the family room.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    Hanging the tapestry over the FP would be much more interesting and the mirror in the hallway would be more practical.
    mrsmoose7 thanked Lydia (Kazza Design)
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år sedan
    Here are the things I'd consider if it were my space and my choice. I would want the chandelier reflected/doubled in the mirror, BUT I wouldn't want the mirror to exceed the windows in height on the wall or to be wider than the firebox opening which you haven't measured on your illustration. I think it may be much larger than your widest mirror. I'd also want the mirror to hang about 5" above the mantel. I think the round mirrors would have to be hung too high in order to reflect the chandelier. Agree you should be sitting and when you look at the FP you should see the chandelier reflected. Do you have a small mirror someone could hold up and move around while you look from a seated position to determine where the center of the mirror would be with the chandy reflecting? That might help. Get out the blue painter's tape and do some calculating.
    mrsmoose7 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • mrsmoose7
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @ Lydia: thank you so much for doing the mockups! I really like the mirror on the hall wall! What do you think of hanging the tapestry vertically? I had originally purchased the tapestry for over the mantel, but I was planning on using plum as my accent color - I am now using teal as my accent color, so I wonder if this will still work.
  • carole
    10 år sedan
    there is teal in the tapestry,so that should be no problem....
  • mrsmoose7
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @ decoenthusiaste - the firebox measures 42" W x 24" H. In order to have a mirror reflect the chandelier, it would most likely have to be rectangular I am thinking, since a round mirror would have to be mounted much higher.
  • PRO
    Clayton Gray Home
    10 år sedan
    While round may work in some cases over a fireplace, it may not be the best for the height of your vaulted ceiling. We agree with Ann and perhaps consider complementing the architectural detail of your windows and go with a rectangular or vertically oblong shape. A mirror will reflect light beautifully and if rectangular, you can rest it at a slight upward angle on mantle!

Here are some suggestions:
    http://www.claytongrayhome.com/item/Bethany-Mirror---Gray/5271/c65
    http://www.claytongrayhome.com/item/Barclay-Mirror/5111/c65
    http://www.claytongrayhome.com/item/Agadir-Mirror---Zinc/3227/p2c65
    http://www.claytongrayhome.com/item/Treillage-Mirror--Polished-Silver/2809/p2c65

Our Modern Metallic Artwork would also play nicely with the textures and patterns in your GORGEOUS Indian Tapestry :
    http://www.claytongrayhome.com/item/Modern-Metallic-Artwork/3589/c78
    { you must use your tapestry! Have you considered framing it floating in a large glass frame? }

Well, you have already done an excellent job selecting the paint, flooring and lighting - Now, it's time to install and have fun! Feel free to contact us at sales@claytongrayhome.com with any questions :-)
    mrsmoose7 thanked Clayton Gray Home
  • PRO
    Bellacor
    10 år sedan
    Patricia Colwell gave some great feedback. A mirror can be an investment piece in your home that you will likely want to have around for a long time. So choose one that you are in love with and will want to keep around for a long time. You can easily change out your paint colors, and throws to make nearly every style blend in. What is on trend for this season is actually mixing materials and metals. You may find some helpful tips here: blog.bellacor.com. Let us know if you would like help selecting further!
    mrsmoose7 thanked Bellacor
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 år sedan
    You're very welcome! Teal and plum are both "jewel" colours and the tapestry ties in all the colours from your decor so it would look very nice. There's already enough height in the room with the windows - hanging the tapestry horizontally would break up those lines. Here is the tapestry hung vertically.
    mrsmoose7 thanked Lydia (Kazza Design)
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 år sedan
    I agree with Clayton Gray Home. A mirror that compliments the architectural detail of your window would be elegant resting on the fireplace mantle at a slight tilt upward. This one is 39.5 W x 1.5 D x 78.5 H. It's very large and tall and identical to the window. It would fill the space between the fireplace and the vaulted ceiling beautifully. What do you think?
    Christi for ThosBaker
    mrsmoose7 thanked Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    10 år sedan
    The round mirrors are TOO small for the space. I would hang a tall rectangular mirror that would be just taller than the windows flanking the fireplace. I prefer the squared look to compliment the arch of the windows. Hang the tapestry on another wall location.
  • Ann
    10 år sedan
    But, wait. The measurement we need and don't yet have is the width of the black portion of the fireplace. That's what I meant when I said firebox but I guess I said it wrong. I think that's going to be around 54" - just a guess based on the other measurements. If so, hanging the tapestry vertically won't work because the tapestry is too narrow. Maybe hanging it horizontally will work width wise, but a vertical art orientation would be more fitting for the space.
  • Ann
    10 år sedan
    It sounds like the space is quite big. Maybe a vertical pair of square mirrors or a vertical pair of square art will work, but whether a single of pair of objects, the space would look nice filled as it is with the tapestry in Lydia's vertical tapestry rendering, but I think the actual tapestry isn't even close to that size. I think Barbara is right, rectangular is better.
  • mrsmoose7
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @ Ann - I apologize, I took firebox to mean something else. The measurement you require is 52"W x 36"H. That is from edge to edge of the black marble surround (within the white wooden surround).
  • carole
    10 år sedan
    my first idea was to frame the sari,but it would be a shame to make the tapestry smaller,maybe hang it in the hall after all and make sure you get a rectangular mirror,so it will reflect everything you want...(i know the wooden one is the wrong shape)
    mrsmoose7 thanked carole
  • Ann
    10 år sedan
    OK, so that's a big space you need to fill! Something around 48" wide and about 60" tall is what would be best. It might be easier to find a pair of art pieces to hang vertically. Each one would need to be about 4 ft wide and 2.5 ft tall. You could try the tapestry horizontally with the bottom about 6" above the hearth, but you probably need more height. I imagine it isn't too heavy so maybe strong tape would hold it up long enough for a picture.
  • Ann
    10 år sedan
    I think I'd look for lightweight canvas art. A mirror big enough to do any good in that space (or even a set of mirrors) are going to be large and very heavy!
  • carole
    10 år sedan
    still like the second mirror....or maybe as in the second picture,more items on the mantel so you can put the mirror higher?
  • PRO
    John Newman Design
    10 år sedan
    After seeing the additional photos. I am in agreement with those that say no mirror.
    I feel a large piece of art would be best, The beautiful Indian Tapestry, I feel, should be somewhere more intimate where it can been seen closely. Perhaps over a bed in a guest room or other large wall. As for the art my very first instinct was a large Chinese Ancestral Portrait, they almost always have such a beautiful teal color in them and are usually very large in scale. Reproductions can be found at a very good price and they mix well in an more contemporary setting, much like the tapestry. I have included an example of one I just found online.. I liked this one only for the positioning of the people and how I like that to play off the ceiling line. Good luck! ... and thank you for not putting up a TV
    mrsmoose7 thanked John Newman Design
  • groveraxle
    10 år sedan
    Here is your tapestry to scale over the fireplace. I note that it disappears against the color of the wall.
    mrsmoose7 thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    10 år sedan
    Assuming the round mirrors are big enough to fill the space, go with number 2, very nice !
  • groveraxle
    10 år sedan
    Rothko, framed size 33" x 39".
  • groveraxle
    10 år sedan
    And the second mirror approximately to scale:
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10 år sedan
    Hi mrsmoose7,

I do like the look of a mirror above the fireplace. Here are some other round mirrors that you might like and I also included a unique shape of mirror.

Here are some suggestions: http://www.essentialsinside.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48_192_195&products_id=6566, http://www.essentialsinside.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48_192_195&products_id=5188,
    Here is a unique mirror
    http://www.essentialsinside.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48_192_466&products_id=5654

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions at contact@essentialsinside.com

Marika
    mrsmoose7 thanked essentials inside
  • carole
    10 år sedan
    ei,like the demarco,would look great too
    mrsmoose7 thanked carole
  • mrsmoose7
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @ ei, Carole, I do like the demarco, but with all the advice about scale and reflection I am really second guessing the choice for mirror. In keeping with Barbara's, Thos. Baker and Clayton Gray's suggestion, I think a tall rectangular mirror might look most apprpriate, especially if it reflects the chandlier. As Ann pointed out a mirror of that size may be too heavy for the wall.

I think I will look into the option of artwork and the rectangular mirror. The advice has been greatly appreciated and I welcome anymore comments people have to share.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10 år sedan
    mrsmoose7,

If looking for a rectangular mirror might i suggest this one?

http://www.essentialsinside.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48_192_466&products_id=5601

Marika
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 år sedan
    Good evening Mrsmoose7 -- something else you might wish to consider is a large clock, which solves the problem of mirror reflection and adds a touch of "function" to the living room. I always have a clock in the living room to avoid having to get up to go see what time it is or chase my cell around the house. This is hand-forged metal with an antique silver leaf finish. It's quite large, (32w x 32h x 1.5d) so the wall behind the fireplace won't diminish it! Set against the beautiful, rich color you've chosen for the wall, this (or something similar), would really stand out. You've received so many great ideas, I thought it wouldn't hurt to throw in one more!
    mrsmoose7 thanked Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    Iris K. Rizenbah Lighting Design
    10 år sedan
    I can offer you to use a magnificent mirror with lights. Our Perito Moreno Vanity Flower mirror.
  • mabelbridges
    10 år sedan
    Go with a large piece of art. Let me also add a "thank you" for the absence of a flat screen tv.
  • PRO
    In Style Modern
    10 år sedan
    All mirrors are nice but i think im leaning towards the third one
  • em814
    9 år sedan
    I know this thread is almost a year old but I noticed your family room (that's what I call it) is exactly like mine. Perhaps we had the same builder. I am so curious to ask you - how did you decorate the wall to the right of the fireplace wall? If you're facing the fireplace. Thanks!! I am at a loss.
  • mrsmoose7
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I have 3 36" espresso floating shelves mounted on either side of a wall mounted 65" TV. They look amazing! I did not want a built-in or a bulky entertainment center so we decided on the floating shelves for a very clean, modern look. Below the TV is a credenza style media cabinet that houses the electronics. I still have to fine tune the accessories, but overall I love the look.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.