lbullock

Front hallway - Ugh need help!!

lbullock
10 år sedan
Need advice on how to change the look of my front entrance - this looks right into my kitchen table. I have no front closet.

Kommentarer (27)

• mayr126
    10 år sedan
    How about closing in the foyer area with a wall before your kitchen table and also putting a closet on that wall?
    lbullock thanked mayr126
  • lbullock
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    View from the other angle
  • PRO
    Old New House
    10 år sedan
    A small rug would really make a huge difference. Especially if the dining room table is in sight, just having something with a clear pattern and color with good lighting will place emphasis on the space at hand, as opposed to the space ahead. Not try to promote ourselves here, but just for ideas sake -

Something like this with a repeating design and high detail would harness the space at hand:
    http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs/products/vintage-oushak-rug-lr002510c

Something like this would be outstanding to channel the feeling of the space and introduce the next one (note the flowing lines):
    http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs/products/fine-gold-vintage-rug-1121

To make the room pop, bring in some bold but well contrasted color and larger pattern:
    http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs/products/small-antique-senneh-rug-1280

When you introduce a small rug like one of the pieces above, you'll find it reinvents everything and feels more inviting!!! Good luck!!! It really looks like a wonderful space you have :)

M+D
    lbullock thanked Old New House
  • hatetoshop
    10 år sedan
    How about painting the door the same colour as the wall? I think a larger rug would look good.
    lbullock thanked hatetoshop
  • PRO
    Re|Structure Design-Build, LLC
    10 år sedan
    Get rid of that door and scrap the side light. Center an new door, with an obstructed view glass in the center of the entry wall space.
    lbullock thanked Re|Structure Design-Build, LLC
  • Julie Quirk
    10 år sedan
    What about a free-standing screen that you could move or use to block the door's sidelite window? It could be made of a metal armature with beautiful fabric panels that would stop your line of sight from going right back out that door. You could get an interesting and similar but bigger effect with draperies that go to the ceiling. If they were operable, you could draw them closed for dinner, which could also hide hooks or shelving for coats and hats on the door side of the drapes. Either of these would create a vestibule that you could block visually while you live inside your home. And how about a colorful area rug under that sweet table and chairs? With colors that coordinate with the fabric of your divider?
    lbullock thanked Julie Quirk
  • PRO
    Re|Structure Design-Build, LLC
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    Personally, I do not think a side light is doing anything for you here. The door way looks cluttered, crammed into one side. For this small space, it needs to be simple and clean. I would also recommed a much lighter color floor.
    lbullock thanked Re|Structure Design-Build, LLC
  • lbullock
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks everyone - one more angle
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 år sedan
    I agree with @tennisanyone. I think the white cabinets are really misplaced. All your other wood is dark and you have this big stark white in the middle of everything. If you don't really need it, change it out for something else or nothing at all. Not sure what's in it, but looks mostly empty. You can always hang a large artwork in its place. Check out my work for ideas: http://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

A nice rug would be great too.
    lbullock thanked Shoa Gallery
  • inthedetails
    10 år sedan
    I think you should paint the door the same color as the wall. Then add a colorful area rug. I would remove the cabinets and the bench you have and replace with a combination of the items in these photos. I would place them on the opposite wall and add some artwork or a mirror to that wall. I think this would create a very friendly welcome area while still providing some necessary storage. If you decide you still need the storage solution provided by the cabinets you currently have, I would move them to the opposite wall after painting them a dark brown or black. I think the space is too closed in with the cabs and the bench. Hope this helps.
  • PRO
    Greg Abdo
    10 år sedan
    Inexpensive fix...Cabinetry on opposite wall with more space between them. Large mirror, larger bright print area rug and paint walls and door with a uniform color.
  • Leslie Kreger
    10 år sedan
    I agree with the comment above…for a start, flip the cabinets to the other wall. Can the bench work between the two?
  • PRO
    Ku Interior Design
    10 år sedan
    I would switch the bench and cupboards; get a longer, patterned rug & paint the door one of the colors in the rug with a semi-gloss or glossy paint. If you want more privacy for you living area, hang an interior drapery like they used on this closet. Put the drapery at that corner on the right side of your photo. If your hallway is too wide to pull the curtain to one side have it split down the middle and pull it to both sides.
  • PRO
    Lunada Consulting & Design, Inc.
    10 år sedan
    Accept an entry for its function - a place to hang coats and put on shoes! I think you will be happier with a dark bench and upper cabinet for hanging items. then on the opposite side try an oversized dark framed floor mirror which leans against the wall. Update the carpet to a style you would have in your living room (not just a mud rug). Then paint the front door a darker color and change out the recessed ceiling light to a flush mounted decorative fixture. All those steps are fun and easy! Enjoy!
  • tennisanyone
    10 år sedan
    I would not reverse the cabinet either. Do you really need it? Think about when the door opens, you will see the tall cabinet immediately. I would put the console on the wall where the bench is and also add a great chandalier to the table instead of the fan.
  • dtc55
    10 år sedan
    Currently you walk in the front door and are hit in the face with furniture. Since the door is on one side, leave that side of the entry open. I would paint the walls the same color, paint the door a darker color, put a larger light colored rug in the foyer with a matching one under the dining table and chairs. Get rid of the tall white cabinets. Where the bench is now, put a long dark, not too deep piece, either open at the bottom so you can hide boots etc in baskets underneath, or with doors for same purpose. Put a beautiful lamp on top with art or mirror above. On the wall where white cabinets are now, put a very large piece of art, or several smaller pieces. A beautiful ceiling hugging light fixture would finish it off. Hope this helps. Sorry coats.
  • Maria Smith
    10 år sedan
    Is a new door under consideration? If so, I agree to switch it out so it is centered on the wall. Agree w/ painting the cabinet black, or same color as wall.
  • lbullock
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    The fan is getting switched out with a chandelier not sure what to do with the window/sliding glass doors either. thanks everyone for your input!
  • lbullock
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    I made a few quick changes still not there yet
  • lbullock
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Also would like to repaint kitchen but not sure what color - the living room is a nice gray and the dining room is sherwin williams hearts of palm (green).
  • tennisanyone
    10 år sedan
    You painted it already. I really like it. That was the monster in the room, remove the stuff from the top.
  • lbullock
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    i feel as though it needs something -either on the side or on top. looks very plain. but agree the color is much better.
  • lbullock
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    also need a rug - the one that's there is temporary
  • PRO
    Teracottage-Limited Edition Artisan Sheds & Such
    10 år sedan
    Window treatments would soften the unit. It is too stark and cold the way it is. I would recommend something that did not block out the light...shoot for something that simply softens the frame.
  • Maria Smith
    10 år sedan
    Cabinet unit looks great! When you paint, consider painting the ceilings 75% of the wall color. If you are keeping the window coverings for the slider, I would shorten them to about
    1/8 inch from floor, they are sorta bringing the room down when on the floor. I like the yellow paint in kitchen, maybe go w/ a different yellow? You could also crown out the ceilings to accentuate wall height.
    lbullock thanked Maria Smith
  • biamel18
    10 år sedan
    Some ideas for the rug from Target. I would put a message board, some pictures and maybe a key holder on the wall or on the furniture.
    lbullock thanked biamel18
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.