policegirl402

I'm Gray! Need help pulling room together!

policegirl402
10 år sedan
This is our sitting room/TV room. I would like to pull the room together and I feel like a starting point would be curtains. I would like something more modern with a design/geometric print..no floral. I have looked around/searched internet but haven't found something I LOVE. I was thinking maybe curtains with some yellow, or blue/aqua? Any suggestions??? Other plans for the room incude: Sconces beside the fireplace, change the fan out for a light fixture, paint the inside of the fireplace, and add accessories and art. Any other thoughts for the room???? ( The last picture is what we started with when we moved in)

Kommentarer (73)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    10 år sedan
    Move the longer sofa to the spot where you moved the love seat and put the love seat opposite where the longer sofa was ,pull them in as much as you can
    policegirl402 thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • peightell
    10 år sedan
    I have grey and smokey taupe in my media room - love it. Just picked up some lovely smokey taupe lined full length drapes today. - gives the room elegance. Also, I have a red leather sofa, fun.
    policegirl402 thanked peightell
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @Brandi Nash Hicks, thanks for your thoughts! If I switch the two sofas, how does that help with furniture placement? The walls are the same in length. Am I missing something?
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    saw these curtian panels at crate and barrel.
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/alston-ivory-grey-curtain-panels/f44871 Not sure if they would be the right color gray...
  • peightell
    10 år sedan
    Look at these drapes Smokey Taupe color - think Tiger Cats - grey/tan/cream http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/jsp/browse/product.jsp?containerId=JCP|EMAIL&ppId=pp5002931036
  • peightell
    10 år sedan
    Royal Velvet Encore Ring Top Curtains
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 år sedan
    I love the start you have. I like the curtains you found from Crate & Barrel. What about an area rug like this one?
    Loloi Linden LI-02 5' x 7'6" Beige, Blue Rug · Mer info
    Alston Ivory/Gray Curtain Panels · Mer info
    Iveta Abolina French Blue Throw Pillow · Mer info
    Khristian A. Howell Sedona Throw Pillow · Mer info
    Pillow Decor - Vintage Bloom Green 22 x 22 Throw Pillow · Mer info
  • katbarnes231979
    10 år sedan
    Where did you find the rug for only 200?! I really do like it!
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @katbarnes... I bought it at a rug outlet here in RI... 100% wool too!!! No chance of getting a bigger size though :(
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 år sedan
    I love the rug and the gray upholstery. Would you consider painting the walls in that brown tone in the rug?
    Algonquin Transitional with Color · Mer info
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Judy G Designs.... I just had the room painted....
  • RosemaryR
    10 år sedan
    Check westelm for drapery, they have some nice bold geometric designs with gray in them. Search for rug ideas at rugstudio.com. You've got a great start, good job.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 år sedan
    You didn’t mention that you recently had your room painted. A rug should determine your scheme.
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks JudyG... I posted the picture above of where we started at but should have mentioned that we painted. Should I change it?
  • Denita
    10 år sedan
    Yes, just add the new photo to this thread.
  • PRO
    3DWALLS.COM..... STUNNING PLASTER WALL PANELS
    10 år sedan
    BRING YOUR WALLS TO LIFE WITH 3D WALLS
  • sharpdesigns
    10 år sedan
    The grey and white paint look lovely. To give a really sophisticated finish you could consider adding Navy curtains. I would keep them plain and perhaps add a vertical strip of brown, the same colour in your carpet, on the inner edge to help the room come together.
  • Lisa P
    10 år sedan
    I like the new position of the furniture. I do think a larger rug would be better and you can probably get something with a similar pattern to the one you have. I'm sure you could sell the smaller one to offset the cost of a larger one.

I would go for curtains to soften the room. Do you need privacy? Insulation? If you don't need to keep cold/heat out, you could just do sheers in white, perhaps with a wide strip of raw silk or something similar across the bottom. If you like a geometric pattern, you could look for something that echoes your rug, but in a smaller print to use with your curtains. Just need to make sure the weight of the fabric works for your climate. You could do the same sort of thing with a heavy fabric.

I think the curtains would be nice if you go for a chandelier, keeps everything classic but not stuffy.

You could use just about any colour as an accent. Look around the rest of your house and see if there is a reoccurring theme. Using a colour you love is easiest if you don't want to change your accent to keep up with fashion. Cushions, art, lampshades can all be chosen to fit with your accent. My bedroom is in neutrals, and grey, with dark timer furniture and a bed upholstered in grey. I'm currently using a deep inky blue as an accent. I find it calming. You could go lighter and put in an aqua or brighter blue. Though any colour will probably work for you if you vary the textures and the strength of the colour in your pieces.

A mirror above the mantle would probably be nice once you have a light fitting, but just check that you will be reflecting something other than the telly.

For art, you could go with simple block prints, lithographs or something else that is fairly unobtrusive but interesting. Or, go to a local gallery and see what you like and go from there. That might also help you choose your accent colour.

Good luck, can't wait to see what you decide!
  • rjanice
    10 år sedan
    I love your rug...but it is too small. Do you have a foyer big enough to move it to?
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks for your thoughts Lisachar!
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @rjanice... I did mention above that I wouldn't mind taking a loss on it ( it was $200) or as someone else suggested selling it.
  • jennifernesselroad
    10 år sedan
    It looks beautiful! I really like the fireplace makeover! To me, the first arrangement felt cozy and you wouldn't need to buy another rug. Grey is neutral, so you could accent in many colors. What color is your favorite?
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år sedan
    I think the idea of flipping the sofas was to get the chaise portion away from the FP when it was moved forward. I can see that there is no navigation room to do that though. I think the addition of end tables and lamps for the love will take care of the issue of it looking small and chunky. I'd focus on the drapes and rug first. Here's a chart to help with sizing tables and lamps. Its awkward that the hassock works with the love better than with the sectional, since the love needs to be visually extended, and the balance will go all whacky if you try the hassock with the sectional. Since you just have candles and no real fire in the FP, try pulling the hassock up closer to it for a seating area. Then you can get end tables for the love and a coffee table for the sectional. If you ever get the opportunity to replace the love with two chairs, I'd do so. They are so much more flexible.
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @decoenthusiaste... thank you for your thoughts! I like the furniture flipped around SO MUCH BETTER (the TV where the Love seat was and the love seat perpendicular to the FP) it feels more balanced to me. The problem is that when the furniture is arranged that way, it gives less seating/viewing of the TV and this is our TV room. So I am not sure what to do..... have a better furniture arrangement or be able to see the TV?
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år sedan
    Well, if you want, I think there is room to flank the FP with a pair of small scale club or swivel glider chairs that are comfy for watching TV you could.
    House 6 · Mer info
    Main Floor Home Remodel - Johnston, IA · Mer info
    Coaster Club Chair in Brown and Beige Flower Pattern · Mer info
    Haven Swivel Glider · Mer info
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    thanks...... maybe i would have room to fit one chair on the side where the love seat is...not enough room near the chaise.... the room is very narrow.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år sedan
    If you flip the sectional and the love would the chaise block the door? I'm not talking about pulling them in closer, but am trying to clear the area by the FP for two more small scale but comfy chairs.
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Yes.... The chaise would block the door. It is 63 inches so it sticks out too far... Doesn't leave any room to walk by.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år sedan
    Wish you had a bi-sectional instead - the chaise can be reversed to either end.
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    I don't know they made those! Thanks for all your suggestions! I am going to shop around for an accent chair for near the FP and see what I can find and what would work in the space.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år sedan
    The come in loft/apartment size too, which would be a plus for your slim space.
    Gus* - Jane LOFT Bi-Sectional · Mer info
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Interesting!!! Of course I just bought this furniture over the summer!!!!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år sedan
    Well, if it is new it should bring a better price if you decide to put it on Craigs' List or other. I think scale is one of the biggest issues we run into here on Houzz. In the store you just don't see how large a piece is. Then sales people often pressure to buy a "set" or pair of something you really don't need and it eats the room when you get it home. Adding a chair or two with some pattern/texture/color, a great rug and the right tables, drapes and art, will make it into a nice room for you.
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thank you! Funny, when we moved into the house, I had a set from our old place that was way to big for this room. I thought this furniture was so much smaller.... It was.....compared to that old furniture we had!!! You mentioned furniture stores, this looked more gray in the store where is has a little more of a brown tone in my house.
  • sondramartina
    10 år sedan
    Why don't you just bring in a bigger rug that you like and if it works then move you current rug somewhere else or sell it. In my opinion selling this furniture that you just bought would be wrong .It does not look that bad at all, maybe not perfect size but not too bad either.
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @sondramartina.... I am going to work with it.... Move some furniture pieces around as other posters suggested.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år sedan
    Not a fan of angled furn. I would put TV against wall by firepl. Move sectional to where love seat is,move seat to wall where TV was? Not sure of room size. It may work. Big 40" art in back of sect. Try Ikea. They also have window panels. You could go a color and a print like Greek key, or chevron. Pick a accent color and go with that. With gray I like orange, yellow, turquoise. With white design. Add that color in pillows. A big art piece over fireplace. Think bold contemporary colors. Your room is very nice good job.
  • libratravel
    10 år sedan
    We have a gray family room and I really regret that we didn't go with a more colorful rug....we also went with something neutral and the room at times feel too drab. Adding plants, baskets and colorful wall art now. Definitely try something more colorful if you go with a bigger rug
  • pamml
    9 år sedan
    I would build up the fireplace all the way up the wall w/crown molding, etc...add some gray & white wide-striped pillows, white curtains (floor to ceiling). Add a larger & lighter printed rug. Cover the ottoman w/a striped print to match the pillows. Crystal chandelier & 2 glass or silver lamps w/white shades.
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Pamml.... Thanks for the suggestions! This room is still a work in progress... I haven't done much more to it since I posted these questions a few months back. I like your thoughts and inspiration picture.
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    I really like what you've done in this room. Agree that unless you replace rug with a much larger one the room will never look right. Replacing brand new furniture should be your absolute last option - I believe you have enough to work with. I would go with some punch on the curtains. You might like something like the ones in this condo (project I did a couple of years ago) - these are actually store-bought draperies that were inexpensive too. Re accent colours, I do not think that aqua/blue would work well in your room but yellow and grey is an excellent combination. Also enclosed is another project with such a palette. Hope these images inspire you in your search. Good luck from Montreal!
  • PRO
    Dallas Limestone LLC.
    9 år sedan
    May I recommend a stone fireplace that will match the room? We have a wide selection of stone available in the Dallas area. We fabricate the stone of choice, and can delivery and install if that option is needed. I provided 2 modern fireplace pictures that we designed for homes in the Highland Park area. Let us know if we can assist you.
  • Dreacorator
    9 år sedan
    Great gray, btw! What color did you use?
  • policegirl402
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    The color is Ben Moore Smoke Embers! Thanks for commenting on it.... I have been second guessing it... But it is the third color I had the painter paint in this room...So it is staying!
  • ashtonchic
    9 år sedan
    Great Living Room and I love the idea of using yellow as an accent. Have you thought of built in bookcases/entertainment center on either side of the FP? You could then put the TV in it on one side. The furniture layout might come together more easily with the TV in it's place.
  • PRO
    Loom Decor
    9 år sedan
    This neutral living room is great! I agree that a pop of color in the drapes could really bring it to life. I have selected a few of our products that you might be interested in. All drapes are made to order in custom sizes and you can choose the hardware. For this space I would suggest a convertible ring top or a grommet drape. Check out some more fabrics on our site if these aren't a perfect match! Happy decorating!
  • katbarnes231979
    9 år sedan
    Would love to see a pic of what you ended up doing with this room!
  • Tracy G.
    6 år sedan

Hang these 3" from ceiling so hey make the room feel bigger vs. smaller. I think you may have furniture that is too big for space. can you put TV on top of fireplace? Is space too small to float sofa in centered in front of fireplace? If not, then put an accent chair on the opposite side of chaise. Repurpose loveseat to a diff. part of house. maybe the end of a bed for seating in master bedroom?

• PRO
    Seldens Furniture
    6 år sedan

For sconces I've posted some ideas below. One incorporates the teal color you are considering adding. The other two are more modern because I noticed the arc floor lamp you have, in the corner.

Are you also planning on a piece of artwork for above the fireplace?

Room looks great so far!

[sconce[(https://www.houzz.com/products/robert-abbey-williamsburg-lightfoot-teal-leather-double-sconce-patina-bronze-prvw-vr~18710172)

[sconce[(https://www.houzz.com/products/garamond-wall-sconce-prvw-vr~55526533)

[sconce[(https://www.houzz.com/products/primo-wall-sconce-w-black-shade-prvw-vr~75953131)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.