aky3

Kitchen Backsplash

aky3
10 år sedan
Hello Houzzers/ Houzzites :) I would appreciate your suggestions for backsplash tile styles and colours for my kitchen, as I will be doing some minor renos. I personally like subway tiles, in terms of style. My preference would be to change my granite countertop altogether, to plain dark grey/ ash colour, but I wanted ideas based on my current countertop before doing anything. Thank you guys.

Kommentarer (109)

• PRO
    Specialty Doors
    10 år sedan
    that counter is so busy, but it looks nice. I would pick a solid subway tile and add that. Simple and classy. Orange, red, or yellow.. even green.
    aky3 thanked Specialty Doors
  • kroze
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    @ccort......... My friend has posted your tile suggestion on my own thread with this Baltic Brown granite. I would appreciate you taking a look and possibly answering some of my questions. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/i-need-help-picking-materials-for-my-master-bath-remodel-dsvw-vd~669481

Anyone that wants to join that conversation also, you are welcome.

@aky3.... there is a photo there with a gorgeous kitchen backsplash for your baltic brown. Check it out.
  • aky3
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Hi Rebecca Mitchell Interiors. If I was to go black subway, which along with white had crossed my mind, what colour grout would you recommend? Cream/ Beige like my cabinets, or grey like the specks in the granite? Do you consider grey (carbon actually) a shade of black, and thus doable too?
  • aky3
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @kroze. I saw the photos, and thanks. It's interesting, but I think the saving grace for my granite has been the colour of my cabinetry. Had my cabinets been brown, I think I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago. Whose idea was this Baltic Brown anyway? :)
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    10 år sedan
    Hi there aky3 - I wouldn't go with white or even cream subway tiles as I think they will create little visual interest. Go with black glossy subway tiles for a sophisticated and bold look and use the darkest grout possible (black or charcoal) - the lighter the grout the greater the contrast and it will be busier. The counters are busy enough. Also remember that grout dries lighter than it first appears so even a "carbon" might end up looking very light grey once it's dry. For the overall look I'm proposing, think of black trousers with a brown/black/cream shirt! I'm going to look for some samples of this colour palette using black subway tiles in kitchens I've done and upload them for you to see how grout changes the look of the kitchen. One final word, it is important to respect the overall look of your entire home - the age of the house, the style. No point putting something in there that doesn't make sense (like tin backsplash). Be sure to post your final result and good luck!
    aky3 thanked Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Here's black subway tiles with grey grout (contrasting look)
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    And here's with black/charcoal grout - old photos but you get the idea...
  • kroze
    10 år sedan
    If you have white cabinets that is a no brainer! The first pic is lovely.
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    As I mentioned earlier, black subway tiles with cream cabinets and brown counters is NOT an obvious combination for most people. But it looks great and is more interesting than a beige marble backsplash etc.
  • aky3
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thank you Rebecca Mitchell Interiors. Much as I don't have a close-up of the granite countertop in the first pic, the tile looks great, even with the contrasting grout.
  • kroze
    10 år sedan
    @Rebeccal...... The grout becomes the accent piece in the first photo. It is the contrast that works.
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Here is a photo of the counter in the first pic (it is black quartz with white/grey flecks) - but I included the other kitchen pics to show you how nice brown counters (in this case brown laminate) look with black subway tiles and off white cabinets.
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Kroze - indeed it is - and I love the contrasting grout in this kitchen. But it would be too busy with the Baltic brown granite. Which is why I submitted the other photos with darker grout and less contrast...
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Aky3 - I think you followed where I was going with all this. Up to you now!
  • aky3
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    I totally follow your drift Rebecca Mitchell, and I'll be sure to post my result when done. Merci beaucoup!
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Avec plaisir.
  • tgb1
    10 år sedan
    Just saw this thread. There have been 2 episodes of Property Bros. on HGTV where they have elected to keep this granite and to update its look they used reg. size subway tiles for the backsplash. They pulled out the faint green tone in the granite - one episode used a pale green glass and the other used a pale green porcelain that had some dimension. They were both shiny finish and both looked beautiful with the Baltic brown.
  • kroze
    10 år sedan
    I am sitting here staring at a piece of Baltic Brown and I cannot for the life of me see the green. I know that others say it has green, but I see charcoal black, gray, and varying shades of peachy/pink blotches. I think I must see the "green" as "grey". I suppose our eyes see unique variations in colors differently. I am not color blind, but this green escapes me.
  • aky3
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @kroze. I, like you, have always noticed a grey and not green, alongside black and brown. I guess that's what makes this that much more challenging :)
  • aky3
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks tgb1. Basically, keeping the backsplash a simple block colour as many have testified to on here. I really should be paying more attention to Property Bros. and less to House Hunters International :)
  • tgb1
    10 år sedan
    I actually have Baltic brown countertops in my own kitchen which we installed 13 years ago. My backsplash is 4x4 porcelain (rough matte finish) tiles in a checkerboard pattern of cream and taupe-ish. It is actually quite lovely. Would I do the same thing today? Probably not - but I think it is a beautiful granite and I wouldn't waste my $ just to replace it with something more current. Just my opinion - no judgement on others who would choose to replace.
  • kroze
    10 år sedan
    tgb1, ...... that is exactly what I did. When we bought this house 18 months ago the kitchen had baltic brown granite. I did not like it or want it. So, when we totally renovated the kitchen we changed the granite. The baltic brown was stored in the garage.

Now, we are planning the renovation of the master bath and closets. Rather than buy more granite, I am using the baltic brown in the garage. It is giving me fits trying to find coordinating materials that go well with this granite. I need shower tiles and floor tiles. I have been searching for months for the right tiles. That is why I came to this thread. I was hoping to get ideas for my own project by following aky3's thread.

And I have found this thread helpful to me in many respects. But I still don't have my tiles picked.
  • ccort
    10 år sedan
    The charcoal slate that I used comes in a larger brick shaped tile (maybe 2"x6"?) that would give you the look of the 1st picture that Rebecca Mitchell interiors posted for you. I personally like the contrasting grout and don't think it is too busy. I went with lighter grout on my slate backsplash because I didn't want the walls to appear to be solid black. I stay away from lighter grout for floor tile but I like it in this case for the walls. If not a dark tile, my second choice for yours would be the cream colored glass tile ( top left) from dclostboy's post.
  • ccort
    10 år sedan
    Kroze, I looked at the other thread. I didn't realize that you were using the Baltic brown in a bathroom. I think white subway tile would be my first choice with the granite in the bathroom. I am biased toward the charcoal floor, even in the bathroom. We originally had a beige tile floor in our kitchen when we moved in and it brought out the worst in the Baltic brown countertops. It seemed to make the salmon color stand out. Now with the charcoal floor and backsplash, the granite reads more neutral if that makes any sense. In other words, I can live with the counters now. Before they reminded me of meatloaf! My advice is that if you go with a tan floor tile, make sure the tan is in your granite somewhere or at least doesn't enhance the pinking tones.
  • kroze
    10 år sedan
    hmmm...... dare I ask?....... What is wrong with pink tones?
  • ccort
    10 år sedan
    Nothing if you like the pink tones! Personal preference I guess. It wasn't working in our kitchen at least. The pinkish tones of our Baltic brown is what made me not like the Baltic brown. Not enough to replace it but if I had a choice I wouldn't have chosen it for my kitchen. Your idea of replacing the kitchen granite and reusing the Baltic brown in the master is a great idea. I wish I would have thought about that before I planned the rest of our kitchen remodel around it.
  • kroze
    10 år sedan
    I really do appreciate your opinions, ccort! You probably have more experience than I do.

I take it you didn't like the photo on my thread that showed a kitchen with the pink tones? I thought it was very pretty. Is it a dated look?

I am old enough to remember when the subway tiles were popular in the 50s. Therefore I really have a difficult time getting excited about them today. Funny, that was back when pink bathrooms were the "in" thing! So, if pink is passe', I'm not sure how subway tiles made it back on the scene! : )

I don't like the baltic brown because it is so dark.
  • ccort
    10 år sedan
    Kroze, my only experience is my own house that I am forever looking for ways to reinvent so my opinions are humble at best! I have to be honest and say that while pretty, I didn't love the last picture on your thread. It felt somewhat Tuscan to me. I will tell you that I do really like the lighter grey tiles that you had posted with the countertop much earlier in the thread. The one with your foot next to it! I have to say those tiles looked really updated and seemed to neutralize the granite. Your opinion is what matters most, esp in your master bath. If you lean toward the pink tones, go for it. Do what is pretty and calming to you. I am drawn to clean lines and am more of a minimalist but I know that to some my space may seem bland. Go back through some master bath pics and try to get a feel for what style you are drawn too. Sometimes it helps me to step back and go through pictures in my idea books and then I can see the direction that I need to go. If you can use your granite for your master bath, maybe someone on craigslist could too. If you really are having a hard time matching it, maybe see if someone would buy it and then put what you make toward something you love. If I knew I could take mine off of my kitchen cabinets without ruining the cabinets I would have tried that first. I think I am stuck with mine for awhile.
  • PRO
  • kroze
    10 år sedan
    aky3........ I apologize for hi-jacking your thread. I am embarrassed.

@ccort, let's take this discussion over to my thread. I will post my response to you there.
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/i-need-help-picking-materials-for-my-master-bath-remodel-dsvw-vd~669481
  • aky3
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Not at all kroze. It's great to read the ideas discussed, as we're both in the "same boat".
  • aky3
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @kroze. You might also be interested in this discussion if you haven't already participated. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/is-subway-tile-over-dsvw-vd~830891
  • kroze
    10 år sedan
    Thanks aky3. I appreciate the information and graciousness with my rabbit trail on your thread.

I liked the link you posted and have already read through it and posted! : )
  • PRO
    Fine Art Tileworks — Handmade Relief Tile
    10 år sedan
    Snow day! Browsing Houzz... Couldn't help noticing how well your granite colors would coordinate with a handmade tile order we just completed...

Heron, Fine Art Tileworks handmade tile · Mer info

Heron flying, Fine Art Tileworks handmade custom tile · Mer info
  • PRO
    Distinctive Tile & Design
    10 år sedan
    love this tile
  • PRO
  • aky3
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Hello all. I finally picked up some samples, and I will be doing the bottom two (not mixed, but on different sides of my kitchen wall). They are both Dark Grey, and while the 4X16 is a matte Glazed Wall, the 2X12 is a matte glass tile (I like the idea of glass in matte) I think I will get adventurous and use a cream coloured grout, matching my cabinetry. Just thought to share, and thank you for your input. Have a lovely weekend wherever you are, snow or sunshine :)
  • aky3
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    That would be the left two actually.
  • kroze
    10 år sedan
    They look very blue in the photo, aky3. But I know that photos can be deceptive.

I actually like the little silver one. : )
  • dclostboy
    10 år sedan
    I like the little one too :)
  • aky3
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @kroze and dclostboy - the little 2x6 is nice, but I suspect I will get bored of it in no time. Guess what colour that tile is? Dark Grey too! I would so not buy tiles online :)
  • Julie McCuiston
    10 år sedan
    I have seen the baltic brown with a black backsplash and it really did compliment the baltic brown. BB is a hard granite o work with.
  • kroze
    10 år sedan
    That was an understatement!!! BB is next to impossible to work with. : /
  • aky3
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Hello all. I am finally done with my minor kitchen renos, and it is only proper that I post the result. I would never have imagined going with dark coloured tiles but for some of you guys. I have a U shaped kitchen, so decided to be a little adventurous by using 4x16 tiles on one side (range/stove wall) and 2x12 (glass, matte finish) on the adjoining walls. I chose grey/ charcoal grey (which afterall are only lighter shades of black), but chickened out on using similar coloured grouting. I am my own biggest critic, but I must say that I am happy with the choice I made. The most surprising thing for me is how neutral my Baltic Brown countertop looks all of a sudden. I love it more now than ever. LOL. Many thanks to all of you for your contribution. It's amazing what we can achieve when we put heads together.
  • User
    9 år sedan
    Can you post a picture of the kitchen from a different angle so we can see the cabinets and floors?
  • aky3
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Here it is.
  • User
    9 år sedan
    Looks great. Can't wait to see it when all the cabinet doors are back on and the lights are on! Do you have under cabinet lighting? It makes a huge difference in a kitchen.
  • aky3
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    The cabinets aren't coming back on. I have replaced them with the open shelves, and will be painting the open wall. Yes I got LED strip under cabinet lighting, but I'm having issues with it. I'm having the electrical guy come back in. I have them under the shelves too. It does (did, LOL) look beautiful.
  • aky3
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Here
  • ggluv
    8 år sedan
    Very nice. I can't believe difference lighting adds
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.