bartsd

What adds the most value to a kitchen

bartsd
10 år sedan
My wife and I just bought a condo, that is nice but in need of upgrades. The first project will be the kitchen. Aside from appliances, what would add the most value? We were contemplating removing the cabinets that spill over in to the dining area and expanding the island slightly, as well as replacing the counters. The island as you will see from the pics, has the sink and the dishwasher which cannot be seen.
We've contemplated several options for the island, but we are unsure overall what will add the most value to the kitchen.

Kommentarer (37)

• dclostboy
    10 år sedan
    I would keep the cabinets in the dining area, as a lot of people want to see extra storage (even if not needed). Appliances and counters are next biggest bang.
  • dbh
    10 år sedan
    Those cabinets in the dining area are really nice. I'd keep those. I also like the kitchen cabinets, though I agree with Brenda Short above-- add moulding at the top of the cabinets to bring them up to the ceiling. Update appliances and sink. I'd replace the countertops and add a backsplash.
  • redoak87
    10 år sedan
    Add a backsplash (easy to put in and fairly reasonable), new appliances and KNOBS and PULLS on the doors and drawers. It's amazing how that will dress up cabinets. Nice, newer Formica counter tops would save money and look exponentially nicer.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 år sedan
    If you remove those dining room cabinets, you will be losing a TON of storage space. I'd leave them. To lessen their kind of looming aspect, though, I would replace the two center doors with glass (or just have glass inserts made; much cheaper; add in-cabinet lighting and display some nice pieces!). If it doesn't put you out of your budget area, consider doing a waterfall countertop on the island - that would really up the contemporary aspect. Are you keeping the flooring? If so, I think I would go with a white countertop on the island (plain white quartz or white marble - if you can live with the upkeep) and either the same white or a nice gray on the back with a gray/white/st.st. tile backsplash (mostly light, horizontal). You don't have much so go with something spectacular! St.st. simple bar pulls (go with very long ones on the pantry doors).

Depending upon how far you want to go with this, you could have "cubbies" built over the cabinets for display. If you don't want to go that far, I wouldn't add any fussy trim. Just add above cabinet lighting (if you can access electrical somewhere) and add undercabinet lighting.

Add some bright color stools and an accessory or two in the same colors and you'll be done.

Plain white:
    My Houzz: Urban Tower · Mer info

Marble:
    NY Loft · Mer info

Backsplash tile:
    Random Mixed Tile With White Glass and Textured Metal, Sample · Mer info
    bartsd thanked Kathryn Peltier Design
  • PRO
    Shuler Architecture
    10 år sedan
    Really depends on how long you plan on living here in my mind. If you plan on being here for 5-7 years, then replacing the cabinets seems like a reasonable investment. The current cabinets are a little dated but can certainly last a while longer. Updating knobs, surface and splash will freshen this kitchen up but may end up looking awkward with this older cabinet style.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 år sedan
    A good resource for nice cabinet hardware at a discount
    http://www.dlawlesshardware.com/

Also, I can't see what the lighting is over the island, but if you can, install a couple of great looking colored glass pendant. If resale is really more the issue, then use something more neutral like this
    http://www.menards.com/main/lighting-fans/indoor-lights/pendants/marquis-lighting-1-light-10-satin-chrome-incandescent-pendant-with-satin-opal-glass/p-1959939-c-6357.htm

Something like this would also be nice. This one is expensive but I have seen similar at the big box stores for a very reasonable price.
    Nuevo Living Lue Lighting Pendant, Black Steel Metal · Mer info
    bartsd thanked Kathryn Peltier Design
  • newman1958
    10 år sedan
    Adding counter space is a good choice. New layout for your island could best be done by going to kitchen design company with your measurements and current placement of appliances. Maybe only take out the top half of dining area cabinets. Then add counter top to the bottom half.
  • Lanitra Bynum
    10 år sedan
    Quality cabinets with soft close feature and stainless steel appliances and natural stone countertops.
  • Dan H.
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    I assume your particular value question ["Aside from appliances, what would add the most value?"] refers to "market" value or "resale" value. I suggest that you consult with the real estate broker you worked with to buy the condo. A certified appraiser would be better--but your broker is probably good enough. Get advice on how much investment your condo can take considering the other condos in the building/group and the general neighborhood. That is, in some locations more investment may not return more market value. Where are you in the spectrum of values for your location? You want to know what the maximum investment level is relative to you location; one the three most important things about real estate value. Do you know what the other two things are?--location and location.

After that, assuming you have some upside room, then you want to get a list of the more popular improvements, i.e., the improvements that move condo sales.
  • rocketjcat
    10 år sedan
    I don't think you should remove the dining area cabinets, since you have very little storage in this kitchen, you are really going to need them. They are going to be convenient for pantry items and small appliances. The cabinets are nice, just some hardware, backspace and SS appliances will help. One of my pet peeves is flooring changes at the end of counters, like at your island, and then again into the little dining area. While I studying those areas, I had an idea... What if you removed the tiny dining area concept entirely including chandelier, incorporating that space into the kitchen? Keep the tall cabinets, move a new and larger island centered more to the right, and used the beautiful big island for dining? Then change the flooring in the kitchen and living room to one continuous material. I like the 2 level island in this case so the sink is camouflaged while dining. You may not even need to move the plumbing, just extend the island cabinets and countertop. It might not be very expensive to get an entire different and larger kitchen look.
  • Vidya Ramaswamy
    10 år sedan
    I am amused by comments such as "dated" and "could use a facelift". Botox anyone??
    I think the kitchen is in really great shape. Cabinets look totally fine to me. New hardware and moulding make sense and will not cost a lot. I guess you're buying a new fridge since I don't see one? It looks like you have laminate countertops. If that is correct, then before doing backsplash and replacing the appliances (which all probably work and dishwasher which isn't even visible so not an "eyesore"), consider upgrading to stone or quartz or something and change the sink to an undermount one - it really does improve the functionality of a kitchen. Then spend money on backsplash. At some point, swapping appliances beacuse the current ones aren't performing optimally would make sense.
    I think the "upgrade cos it looks dated" movement is on steroids. Upgrade for function first.
  • hayleydaniels
    10 år sedan
    Ditto what Vidya Ramaswamy said! I agree about the upgrade movement that is fueled by designers and home improvement companies needing to convince us that if our homes were built 10 years ago, we're hopelessly out of date.

I agree that the cabinets are fine, and unless you either can't bear the sight of them, or are looking for ways to spend money, I'd keep them. What I would do is upgrade the countertop with an undermount sink as was mentioned earlier, and do a nice backsplash.
  • Dan H.
    10 år sedan
    I could have misunderstood you and your value question really was about "aesthetic" value. But, from your comment I suspect your concern is that you do not want to put dollars into your condo that you won't get back out down the line--right? If you do not want to hire an appraiser or if you didn't have a broker when you bought it, here is another thought. Find out the maximum price paid for a remodeled unit in your group. That will give you some idea of your upside range. Maybe you could tour a few units that have been remodeled recently. Then at your next association meeting ask the other owners what improvements they recommend. Owners who have lived there a while will have a pretty good feel for improvements and market values.
  • PRO
    User
    10 år sedan
    Replace all the box store cabinets with custom cabinets. Hire a designer to help you maximize you cabinet space.
  • bitterswt02
    10 år sedan
    After appliances - granite or quartz countertops will give you the most return you can bring that up all the way to the cabinet as a backsplash as well . Your cabinets are excellent shape. I would focus on the countertops w/ an extension on the island to make it a slightly bigger eat-in area, a new deeper sink, new faucet, new hardware w/ hinges included - nickel, pewter or steel finishes will brighten the space,

FYI - get nice looking hardware not just the standard - if you decide to go to a big-box store like Home Depot or Lowes get the special order stuff you can find online - it still comes in under $10 dollars and the wait is just a couple days - this will give the kitchen a custom look. Don't go to ikea or walmart for this. If you want to give you kitchen more of a custom and airy look you can also consider swapping out the panel inserts in the tall cabinets with a seeded or frosted glass. You can put your dinnerware in there on display. In the eat-in dining room I'd stick with a glass table because of the amount of cabinetry. If you'll add in barstools on the island consider a seetee or bench in the eat-in area so there isn't a massive collection of chairs in the immediate space.

Good luck - your kitchen layout is great.

[houzz=
    Traditional Kitchen · Mer info
    ]
  • bitterswt02
    10 år sedan
    these people also have nice hardware: http://www.vandykes.com/
  • PRO
    Designs by O'Brien
    10 år sedan
    If the boxes are done- then the kitchen needs to be gutted.Otherwise- paint/stain the doors, pop out the centres- and add some glass to the doors- even the pantry could use a little pop. Add some interior lighting and task lighting under the uppers, new hardware is the jewelry, appliances- white is in however, the microwave vent is ugly as a central focal point- I would replace that. The counter top and sink should be replaced- a waterfall counter would be great and you could extend the top- if possible. A back splash can be a pop factor, remember seal the tiles and the grout- as stains happen in the "lab". Add slow close hardware and if the floor is questionable- change that too! Happy renovating!
  • nasmijati
    10 år sedan
    I would replace appliances only when they are no longer functional.

Your cabinets look fine to me. As noted above, ones in the dining area are going to be needed for pantry space and storage of small kitchen appliances. Perhaps some hardware?

If the countertops are in good condition, I would leave them for the time being.

Live in the space for six months or so. See how it functions for you. Find out what is "liveable" and what really bothers you when you use the space.

Best wishes.
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    10 år sedan
    I would not remove the cabinets from the adjoining area. Upgrading appliances, hardware, countertops, and interior organizers to me makes it a better kitchen for you now and would help with resale later.

But one of the most dramatic things you could do is yank the carpet and the kitchen floor and put in new flooring for the entire area to give it a unified look. That would tie the "spillover " cabinets with the rest of the kitchen very well and create a comprehensive united whole that looks well thought out.
  • PRO
    Naiztat + Ham Architects, P.C
    10 år sedan
    I agree with Kathryn Peltier.

Island - waterfall on both sides would help. Stone is great - corian is fantastic too since is fuses seamless. Lighting over the island. Nice tile, wood or other material on the stool side between waterfall edges

Cabinets - keeping cabinets in dining area depends on how much room you have for seating so can't say based on photos. Definitely no crown molding unless you want it to look like a developer built it 15 years ago. Put whatever material you put on the backsplash on top too (if you leave the dining room cabinets). Light under and above the cabinets with LED strips.

Replace the doors with completely full overlay, if you can afford it. Cabinets doors are not keepers...but if you need to work with them. Consider painting white so that the materials that you put in are the statement.
  • PRO
    Leicht Westchester-Greenwich
    10 år sedan
    Hi bartsd,
    We offer a free kitchen budgeting class with breakfast once a month to answer any questions. It will help you decide what will add value to your kitchen if you have several different options. Feel free to write to us or check out our website: http://leichtwestchester.com/how-much-will-your-kitchen-cost-class-registration
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 år sedan
    The first and foremost thing that adds value to a kitchen is the cook. After that it is whatever makes that cook happy.
  • PRO
    New England Kitchens
    10 år sedan
    Add moulding to ceiling. Replace cabinets. Replace countertop and possibly raise seating part of island. Add hardware.
  • bartsd
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thank you everyone for your inputs. I failed to mention that the island is where our main focus will be. Thank you Kathryn Peltier for your extensive input. My wife had already planned the same ideas that you mentioned. Our bigger focus will be how to best improve the island. Maybe by adding a wine rack, extending it out slightly for a small bar stool seating area, etc.. We're just not sure what would be the best option. We intend to either sell or rent out the unit in the future, and not make it a permanent home for us.
  • tcufrog
    10 år sedan
    Since you don't have a lot of space I'd do a cookbook bookshelf instead of a wine rack. The bookshelf is much more useful and flexible.
  • Dan H.
    10 år sedan
    Well, since one of your goals (in the future) is to sell or rent, you are starting in the right place; kitchens and bath upgrades tend to produce the biggest ROI. Good luck!
  • Jim Mack
    10 år sedan
    As a real estate professional, I would like to mention that 50 percent of homes have white cabinets. If you are looking to sell, you might consider painting the cabinets white, installing new countertops (possibly granite or other hard surface), and installing new hardware.
  • stuntchick
    10 år sedan
    backsplash and new lighting, one for over the island too. new countertop and definetly pailnt the cabinets
  • stuntchick
    10 år sedan
    when you select your new countertop pick a color from their to do your paint. needs color.
  • PRO
    User
    10 år sedan
    Paint the cabinets, add new brushed nickel knobs, new countertops and if room a deeper sink. If you select granite as your counter top most granite installers throw in a under counter deeper sink. Change the lighting over the dining area.
  • PRO
    User
    10 år sedan
    good morning.
    what adds more value to a kitchen or any other room is in a "simple idea"
    you can dump a lot of money and if you didn't have that idea it would be the same as buying the cheapest product in the market.

you need to have taste that's it
    simple but hard.

first.
    pick colors
    paint your countertops
    backsplash wall
    or place a color sample against anything you're gonna change.
    once you have that.

pick the product to apply the color to.
    finding a cheap product is not a deal.
    a deal is to find a nice product at a reasonable price.
    for the most part cheap looks cheap
    expensive looks expensive.
    simple enough right.
    now depending on your budget
    take the time and if you combine
    10% cheap
    10% expensive
    80% good deals. (nice products)

you can get something really nice.
    "art"

you will be happy right away.

now if you're hiring someone to do it
    make sure they sell you they're experience. not the items.
    If they disagree with your idea because of looks and explain it
    is not bad
    is actually very good.

simple enough right.

the granite you see on the fireplace
    we gave away installed to the client
    because they didn't have enough money for that part
    and they were gonna buy just cheap tile to have it done
    well we did the granite because it just made it look way better.
  • PRO
    Robert
    10 år sedan
    Something is missing in your kitchen & i believe it is the color of the cabinets & cupboards which is not going good with the wall color.
  • dbh
    10 år sedan
    Well, the wall color is just an 'apartment white,' so -- yes-- painting the walls would make a big difference. Adding a filler between top of cabinets and ceiling, effectively bringing the cabinets to the ceiling, would make a difference. And getting some nice pulls for the cabinets would help, too.

There is no way I'd paint those cabinets, and I love the ones in the dining room-- though Kathryn Peltier's suggestion above to possibly glass-front those particular doors (and you could even match that for the upper doors in the kitchen) is a good one.

I would make those changes, along with new appliances, new countertops and backsplash, and you're there, really. Adding lighting over the island would be nice-- but I'd never paint those cabinets. (Out of curiosity, why would you want to be like 50% of all other homeowners? And what is up with the ubiquitous white cabinetry--not to mention granite?)
  • ambersarris
    10 år sedan
    The wood and white look can be beautiful and very appealing to renters/buyers as it is neutral but stylish but the amount of white needs to far outweigh the wood, which is why there are so many suggestions to paint the cabinets. Perhaps change the black hinges too?

Check out this kitchen in Ontario https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-of-the-week-cooking-for-two-in-ontario-stsetivw-vs~20987670

The look also needs to be modern, so I would go for a bar handle rather than a knob to give it a sleek look. The waterfall island top will compliment this.
    Also if you paint the cabinets white it would be ideal to get them sprayed instead of brush painted (which leaves streaks no matter how carefully it is done).

I love the idea of including wine racks in the kitchen! Maybe you could put them between the wall cabinetry and the ceiling? It might be a little harder to reach but makes use of dead space.

The appliances are always a big cost, you could always see if there is interest despite the white appliances and if there are no bites, then change them. You might end up with someone who doesn't mind them and have saved yourself a lot of money.
  • PRO
    OPPEIN Group
    6 år sedan

Choose custom kitchen cabinet which has value-added, that means the value of you condo will become high with the kitchen cabinet.

http://www.oppeinhome.com

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    6 år sedan
    Old post 2014
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.