georgiakitty2

Alcove need something to make it "Pop".

georgiakitty2
10 år sedan
The Alcove in just inside front door, had a light installed in top with dimmer, The mirror was a family piece (gold) and I painted one coat
so far. Any suggestions on how to make this area more of a focal point?
Felt would paint different wall color that will go with space. Wondered if there is any (flexible) molding hat could border 3 sides.. Would putting some type shelf across the bottom be good idea, or over kill. .
Thanks for suggestions and advice!

Kommentarer (19)

• georgiakitty2
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thank you! There's a accent wall, a light green close, considered using same paint.
    The mirror is now a shabby chic, off white, rather than the previous gold.
    I don't know why it feel needs something more. Of course, has small
    ledge at the bottom. Thanks again.
  • mrdesignguy
    10 år sedan
    Try painting a darker color to accent. Just back wall though, not returns. Paint mirror frame cappuccino to add weight and add wooden bottom sill to match. Accessorize sill so it doesn't fill up with shaving creme and tooth brushes :D if the mirror still doesn't fill up the space, you can go larger or heavier frame 'till weight balances. You could even make a frame behind a frame.
  • PRO
    The Practical Decorator
    10 år sedan
    Try killing two birds with one stone and make sure what is across from the mirror is good looking. That way the reflection works for you not against you. Then think layering something else one the ledge
    georgiakitty2 thanked The Practical Decorator
  • georgiakitty2
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks. Would wallpaper be something to consider or bead board? Understand they have wallpaper that also looks like bead board, could even paint. it Just bouncing my thoughts.
  • PRO
    cg interiors group
    10 år sedan
    I wouldn't go for too many things at once - I'm afraid you'd have overkill in a space that is pretty well delineated all ready. I would suggest an accent color that relates to one of the colors in the room beyond. If you add a shelf, I would suggest taking out the mirror, but I'd hate to see such a pretty piece, and one that has some family history, give us its spot.
    georgiakitty2 thanked cg interiors group
  • georgiakitty2
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks. If the mirror moves, it's would have to find a great spot. It is sentimental.
    Sometimes I feel like I have ADD, get too many things running at the same time.
    I'll paint wall behind first, then see how it goes. Still welcome any comments,
    please don't stop great suggestions!
  • mrdesignguy
    10 år sedan
    The hardest thing about designing is staying flexible. Sometimes letting go of one idea opens the floodgates for new ones. Have fun with it!
    georgiakitty2 thanked mrdesignguy
  • leelee
    10 år sedan
    Something like this would give you more flexibility. Use your mirror elsewhere.
    georgiakitty2 thanked leelee
  • face39
    10 år sedan
    Do you have children in your life? How about treating this as a p art gallery for children's work, rotating pieces?

Otherwise art...not necessarily framed. Paper, ceramic, mixed media piece? Something with three dimensions.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    I would paint the inside back wall a contrast color. Maybe something from the adjacent rooms. You can use lighter or darker hues of those in the other rooms. I would add two white vases, different shapes and sizes. Place off center on the niche ledge. I would keep it simple and elegant since it is near your entry.
    georgiakitty2 thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    10 år sedan
    I think pairing the alcove and mirror with a few tall candle sticks would look nice, and would provide a little depth to the area. Here is a suggestion:

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/arig-candle-holder/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/dauphine-candle-holder/
    georgiakitty2 thanked Warner Decor
  • PRO
    Donata's Workroom
    10 år sedan
    I would upholster it. I have 2 of these in my workroom and we upholstered them in a tufted style they turned out amazing and we get tons of compliments as well as clients wanting us to do the same in their homes
    georgiakitty2 thanked Donata's Workroom
  • face39
    10 år sedan
    Okay, that's a stray "p" in there in front of art!

As long as I'm back....how 'formal' is your aesthetic? How about treating this as a "shadow box" to display personal artifacts? Cards, photos, the sea glass you picked up last summer at the beach. You could use cork and cover in fabric or paint. You could use a padded fabric background with the criss-cross of ribbon to hold things. you could have a little round mirror embedded in whatever you put up. Your story would be ever changing.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    @face39. Justy a hint about editing your comment : ) Hover over your comment again. You will see a 'pencil icon' and an 'x' in the upper right corner of your comment. Click on the pencil and change any typos : ) Hope it helps!
  • georgiakitty2
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks to everyone!! To answer a couple of questions, no kids, but two "four legged"
    Kitties! One new addition. now doubled her size, 4lbs! So, on that note I have to take into
    account ability to jump and inspect her new little world! The ledge is only 5 inches, but
    candle sticks sound pretty. My décor is in the "coastal" direction.

If Donata's Workroom has a pic to post, would love to see! I can't picture what that would look like, but would love to see. Thanks again to everyone! This is really fun and appreciate houzz having their site and ability to exchange info. (New Mom posting pic of our new addition, Meredith!)
  • Gretchen Maurer
    8 år sedan

I love having a mirror by the door for last minute checks and i love your mirror! That in itself is all the texture and charm you need there….bead board does not really jive with an arch and to me candles do not make sense being a door area. I do like the color option of paint or you may consider a jute or grass cloth wall cover for just the back. check out home goods or wayfair.com for something fun like a small block sign or something costal or a vase off to one side….

• Christina Prakash
    7 år sedan

I think the a shallow alcove like yours would look good painted a darker shade or contrasting dark color like navy. That would give the space more depth and frame objects you put there better. Many times alcoves like this are used to frame a sculpture-especially great that you have a light. The alcove may need a deeper ledge to hold something. You could even make your own abstract piece from wire or put a painted tree branch or driftwood attached to the wall. It should be tall enough to fill the space without touching the alcove. Probably 3-5 inches from the top would be good spacing. A circular object would also work if placed near the curved part of the alcove.

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    7 år sedan

We carry some cool sculptures by a blind artist (yes, she's blind). Check them out here: https://shoagallery.com/collections/sculptures.

I think the shoes will look great at your alcove.

And I love this cow!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.