scargnello

Should I put an island in my kitchen or not?

scargnello
10 år sedan
I have a L shaped kitchen. I have an area of 9'x7' remaining to put an island. Should I put one in? What size?
Thanks

Kommentarer (18)

• ericafunnn
    10 år sedan
    It depends if you need it.
  • Denita
    10 år sedan
    Can you post a floor plan and pics of your current kitchen? It is hard to tell without photos and a floor plan with dimensions if the island would help or hinder your workspace.
  • PRO
    New England Kitchens
    10 år sedan
    You need to keep at least 36" all around the island for clearance. That would leave you a 3'x1' island according to your 9'x7' dimension. It would be more helpful to have a layout or pics of your kitchen.
  • marniejo
    10 år sedan
    7 feet is too narrow of a space to put an island. You would need to have at a minimum 3 feet on either side (preferably more) for clearance. That would only leave you with a foot, unless you used something movable.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 år sedan
    If you left 42" on both the 9' side of the kitchen and the 7' side, you'd have space for an island that measured 42 x 66" IF, and it's a big IF, if you have already allowed space to get by the island on the other sides of it. Do you have a photo you could show us of the kitchen please. If not, a rough sketch with dimensions would help.
  • scargnello
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Here's a layout of the kitchen and eating area. I made the dimensions accurate to scale 1cm=1ft.
    Thanks for the quick responses.
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    10 år sedan
    A peninsula coming out from the left side there would be more appropriate than an island. You don't have enough clearance with the way your kitchen is constructed for an island.
  • scargnello
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    The picture includes my proposed island (3'x4') with spacing to the Dishwasher being 3', spacing to the range and fridge being 2'-2.5' and spacing to the pantry being 3.5'

Hope it helps
  • Denita
    10 år sedan
    Is your proposed island moveable?
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 år sedan
    As someone else stated, 36" (3') would be the minimum space required on all sides of an island. I'd prefer 42" (3.5').
  • PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    The 2-2.5' between the island and the range & refrigerator is especially tight. It's a little tight by the DW also. Are you planning on having seating at this island? or is just a working island?
  • PRO
    New England Kitchens
    10 år sedan
    If you wanted a sittable isalnd you would have a depth of 36" leaving 40" from sink to island and island to pantry, OK. If you wanted just a working island you would have a depth of 26" thus leaving 45" from sink to island and island to pantry. As far as how long to do the island I would not go any wider than 39" leaving 42" from fridge to island and not incringing into the dining area.
  • marniejo
    10 år sedan
    I would agree with New England Kitchens on size and spacing. Don't forget that if you ever need to replace or pull out the fridge or range, you need to have adequate clearance to do so. I went 26" on my island to accommodate for extra clearance and am really pleased with the width.
  • User
    10 år sedan
    Maybe consider extra deep counters instead so appliances can be placed near backsplash, allowing plenty of space for food preparation, etc. I wish I'd done this in our kitchen.
  • Beverly Ward
    10 år sedan
    You could do a small moveable island or prep cart. I have one of these in my small kitchen and it gets lots of use without cramping the space.
  • kopertop
    10 år sedan
    You could put a decent sized one in there...your kitchen is about the same as mine...I just removed mine and am happy about it. I'm not completely done yet, and I'm keeping a mobile island as an option...was thinking about 32 x 52" type of deal, or smaller...also thinking of getting one with a drop leaf for bar sitting

It is also the last thing that may go into my kitchen, so I'm not worrying about it : )
  • PRO
    Carol Spong Interior Design
    10 år sedan
    Before you get deep into the island, I don't think there is enough space between the sink and the range. If someone is cooking at the stove and someone is prepping salad or veggies there isn't enough room for two. You could move the sink and the dishwasher closer to the eating area to get that space. Then, perhaps, a small peninsula with a place to tuck a rolling island underneath. Questions to ask yourself...how do you cook? Do you have young children that you want to teach to cook (or anyone else)? Do people like to pitch in and help?
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.