thistleville

Color choice for painting mirror fames

thistleville
10 år sedan
senast redigerad:10 år sedan
I am prepping our home for sale and purchased a pair of simple, paintable, oval frames for the master bath. However, I can't seem to make a decision about the color. What would you choose? The cabinets are a soft, orangey amber and the corner cabinet is more butterscotch.

Kommentarer (45)

• dclostboy
    10 år sedan
    Can't really tell what color your trim is, but to freshen the room up, paint both the mirror frame and corner cabinet in BM Chantilly Lace.
  • thistleville
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    The trim is a medium-value teal - more green than the walls. Interesting color idea, thank you. I never use white - give or take a sink but I'll find a swatch. Oops, just saw you suggest repainting the corner cabinet. Not going to happen, have to stick with the mirror frame quandary. Sorry I didn't say that initially.
  • shrock_nate
    10 år sedan
    I think painting the frame white would still look good. It would set of the mirror a little and also match your sink and wall lights
  • dclostboy
    10 år sedan
    Then remove the corner cabinet, as it telegraphs "there's not enough storage space in this bath". It also adds to the overall color quandary...while beautiful, your current choices won't resonate with the majority of buyers.
  • thistleville
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Teaming up, huh? :) This is a very large master suite and there isn't a penny's worth of white in it aside from the plumbing fixtures. In the adjoining shower/tub area I used a sort of warm, creamy buckskin on the walls (with an amber claw foot tub) and was thinking of using that. Maybe a tint of that would work: in the family but leaning towards white. Thinking. Thanks for helping.
  • dclostboy
    10 år sedan
    That might work and provide some continuity
  • PRO
    Susan Hayward Interiors
    10 år sedan
    I like your corner cabinet! If you did white it may be nice to use a high gloss enamel paint or perhaps a silver would be nice!
    thistleville thanked Susan Hayward Interiors
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    10 år sedan
    I think if you went with a white mirror which I think would look great, you could add a few white accent pieces in as well. Here are a few that may help tie the mirror in:

http://deciture.com/shop/lighting/world-market/woodlands-table-lamp-base/

http://deciture.com/shop/bath/world-market/ceramic-bird-soap-dish/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/whitewash-wood-finish-bird-finials-set-2/

Hope this helps!
    thistleville thanked Warner Decor
  • thistleville
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    I'm boggled by the white votes but I'm still listening! Here's a quick and awkward photo of part of the tub and shower area with a glimpse back to the cabinets. Thanks for the shopping links: I'll have a look!
  • yoboseiyo
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    if you do white, it'll echo the colors of your tub, in that the lower portion is a nice amber color while the top is clean white. that said, i feel like either the mirror hanging in the photo is too small, or the sconces are hung to high and wide. they make the mirror look dwarf-ish, which throws things off.

if you put some decorative yellow sticks in the right corner behind the tub, you'll be echoing the same setup, and it'll be a repeated element, which is good for design.
    thistleville thanked yoboseiyo
  • thistleville
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    The sconces have always been disappointing but it's too late for a fix. I have to stick with the mirror frame color issue and remove myself to lower altitude - soon. I'm only dealing with them because I must. Promise to pay close attention to the arrangement in the next house. :)
  • thistleville
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    I don't know where my reply went but it was enthusiastic! I had been thinking of a shade of rust for the mirrors but am unfamiliar with the Rustoleum Metallics; now I am anxious to see them. If you stand at the sink and look to the left, there is a vintage copper lantern hanging in the w.c. so the warm copper sounds just the thing - or perhaps champagne. Besides, I'm a redhead. I think you hit it out of the park for me: thanks!
  • mudcreek
    10 år sedan
    the metallic spray paints are great - i was going to suggest that you consider using them for the mirror frame and the light sconces, as well as for other items or accents within the room. glad to see catlady999 agrees!
    thistleville thanked mudcreek
  • thistleville
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    I'm eager to get to the paint store - or wherever these paints are sold. I've dreaded this project but now I'm hopeful. Thanks to everyone for pitching in!
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    10 år sedan
    I'd go with tan color in the tub room for continuity.
    thistleville thanked Craig CraigMDesigns
  • Margaret Holt
    10 år sedan
    Is that an open window-like thingee to left of tub? If so, stain glass! BTW, I love corner cabinet.
    thistleville thanked Margaret Holt
  • catlady999
    10 år sedan
    The metallics come in brushable paint as well. Jars of 2 oz or 1 qt for different sized projects. Also has clearcoat protection available.

Way back in the sponge painting days, I used silver and pearl for a serene effect.
    thistleville thanked catlady999
  • thistleville
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    That's a sort of rotating art space and I change out the displays. What you can't see is the shower area to the right (with two french casement windows opening to mountain views) and a large, beautiful, antique leaded glass panel passing light into the bedroom. Very difficult to photograph. Best is to go out on the deck and look into the space. Thanks, I love the corner cabinets with electrical outlets and shelves for tall containers, and the works.
  • Geneviève
    10 år sedan
    White frames
    thistleville thanked Geneviève
  • thistleville
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    White is a shade I never use but I can deal with cream and I still may use a tint of the buckskin I used on the tub/shower room.. Also want to have a look at those metallics. Thank you for taking the time to write.
  • Therese Upshur
    10 år sedan
    I love the color of you bathroom, can you tell me what color please? I actually like the mirror color going with the corner cabinet and sink area.
    thistleville thanked Therese Upshur
  • countyloyalist
    10 år sedan
    This is a prep for sale; not what you usually use or want but what will appeal to the buyer and provide a less personal palette of colours. I'd go white or cream on corner cabinet and frames, you can distress the corner cabinet with a bit of dark wax to add texture, but I don't think you want to add more colour as the teal walls and the orangey hues of that lovely counter are enough. Instead, tone it down a touch with a more neutral colour that will work with the bath fixtures and light shades.
    thistleville thanked countyloyalist
  • PRO
    Coldwell Banker RPM
    10 år sedan
    I agree with countyloyalist. We are preparing for SOLD!
    thistleville thanked Coldwell Banker RPM
  • thistleville
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    theresup I am away from home for a few days, if I can find a color for you I'll try to post it here; mostly I have the painter mix on the spot to suit my preferences. Countyloyalist and AS I appreciate your point of view but I am ill and doing as little as possible so I must stick with the mirrors and I think the buckskin shade from the tub area is sufficiently neutral. This is my 25th house and my personal colors have never failed me. Thanks for helping me consider the options; I appreciate it.
  • PRO
    Red Dog Interiors LLC
    10 år sedan
    Dark bronze and change faucet to bronze and replace lights to a bronze, white will look bland and like you didn't know what to do
    thistleville thanked Red Dog Interiors LLC
  • chelseamia
    10 år sedan
    Take down the sconces, spray paint them silver then paint the mirror frame silver as well. If the knobs on the cabinetry are gold, go with silver on these as well. Good luck
    thistleville thanked chelseamia
  • quatorze
    10 år sedan
    What about a darker blue, even going all the way to a very deep navy, for the mirror frame? It will reference the teal, be a dash of daring color and blue always goes with wood tones, possibly because orange is the complement of blue and woods have orange tones in them.
    thistleville thanked quatorze
  • Janet Mercer
    10 år sedan
    I love the bold colors so I would paint the sconce,mirror, table, and corner piece a pretty bold color. It will welcome the room. I have a room similar and I added lots of different style and color mirror's.
    thistleville thanked Janet Mercer
  • PRO
    Dani Zeghbib
    10 år sedan
    I agree with metallic. If you're not going to change the existing sconces, paint the mirror to match them. With only one set of brass, it looks haphazard. With two items in brass color, it will seem more considered.

If you can, I'd make all the metal in the room (faucets, pulls) match. That could mean switching out the faucet and pulls to brass, or switching out the sconces and painting the mirror silver.

If you paint the existing sconces, they will look like spray painted sconces and it will be obvious. I agree with the person who suggested removing the corner cabinet to sell the house.
    thistleville thanked Dani Zeghbib
  • PRO
    Red Dog Interiors LLC
    10 år sedan
    In addition to oil rubbed bronze look on mirror, light fixtures, faucet & pulls, I would probably paint the vanity and cabinet a warm white, like Benjamin moore Cloud White
    thistleville thanked Red Dog Interiors LLC
  • PRO
    Nicolette Jarquin, CKD
    10 år sedan
    White is safe, but my first instinct would be for a Red frame. In the family of cinnamon/ coral/ burnt orange-red. Check out Benjamin Moore's "Embroidered Flower"
    thistleville thanked Nicolette Jarquin, CKD
  • janmaclellan
    10 år sedan
    A thought about the sconces and the mirror. If you turned the mirror sideways and lifted it up just slightly I think that might fix the problem with the sconces being so high.
    thistleville thanked janmaclellan
  • shelleyuk
    10 år sedan
    I'd also go white. You do have white there with the sink and the sconce shades
    thistleville thanked shelleyuk
  • Sue
    10 år sedan
    I'm loving turquoise and orange right now. It is a trendy color combination, but I think the mirror would really stand out painted orange against that bright turquoise wall.
    thistleville thanked Sue
  • lpr310
    10 år sedan
    To freshen the room and give a little pop, I would paint the mirror and the sconces a warm yellow and replace the sconce shades. You will surely come up with something great with all the suggestions.
    thistleville thanked lpr310
  • marsia
    10 år sedan
    I'd go with silver or with a dark metallic brown. I have a teal (more on the lighter and greener side than your teal) bedroom, and have Ikea doors that are glass and framed in silver and they really look nice with the teal. A dark brown with some variation in it (making it have some depth like wood does) would give you some contrast, and a dark brown would go equally with the yellow and the teal. I would go with a raw umber color like the shelf above your tub if you go dark. Good luck!
    thistleville thanked marsia
  • thistleville
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Just returned from a city where metallics were under lock and key and no swatches were to be had. How could painting two simple mirror frames get so complicated? My counters and corner cabinets are not opaque but color-washed so I'm leaning in the soft but deep, unpolished copper direction. I think you'll approve. :) Thanks for joining the conversation - and not suggesting I remove the corner cabinets with all the electrical wiring for appliances.
  • catlady999
    10 år sedan
    This is a link to the rustoleum website, with a find a store button. I get mine at Menards.
    http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/rust-oleum-metallic-accents/rust-oleum-metallic-accents-trial-size/
    thistleville thanked catlady999
  • thistleville
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thank you! I'll have a look - mountain living is not ideal for shopping. While I'm here I'll add that the angle at which I took the photo of the counter makes the lights look higher than they are. Standing in front of the sink, the shades are even with the mirror top and corner cabinet top - not sky-high. :)
  • theschalks
    10 år sedan
    I would not buy the house with walls that color, unless the seller gave a considerable painting allowance. In your situation, I'd paint the walls, change the sconce, and leave the rest as is. I had different colors in lots of rooms at my last house and right before putting it on the market, I hired a painter to paint everything a uniform light brown and bright white trim, replaced all fixtures with clean line modern ones in brushed nickel and the house sold to the first people who looked at it.
    thistleville thanked theschalks
  • Sam D
    10 år sedan
    je
  • Renee Crosby
    10 år sedan
    I think that black is best. Black is neutral, and goes with everything like the little black dress. All you need to add is one other black offset like a black towel or small black tray to place soap in. It always adds depth and sophistication.
    thistleville thanked Renee Crosby
  • thistleville
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    THERESUP - color formula for you! Mixed by Sherwin-Williams: BAC Colorant 0Z 32 64 128/
    B1-Black - 25 1 - / G2 New Green - 25 1 - / Y3-Deep Gold - 8 1 - / One gallon A61W00151 / Extra White 640363040 / Latex flat HTH!
  • PRO
    Urban Elements PDX
    10 år sedan
    White is always fresh!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.