sounest

New but "Blah" kitchen

sounest
10 år sedan
Hey folks!
I'm about to move into a new place soon, and need some suggestions on what to do with my kitchen.
I won't have the money to replace the cabinets- and even then, the granite counter top is nice.
I could have the cabinets refinished eventually, but it's not in budget at the moment.

That pretty much leaves me with painting and decor.

I'm considering a craftsman- or even a pub-style touch, but not sure how well it'll look. Right now the neutral brownish color on both wall and cabinets makes it look boring, but I feel there's some potential here hidden under all the blah.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks!

Kommentarer (15)

• Melissa E
    10 år sedan
    Are you a painter at all? You could paint them white or stain them darker...
  • hayleydaniels
    10 år sedan
    Your kitchen has a nice layout.

It looks like your granite has a hint of olive green in it so I'd go with a similar color to paint the walls. Greens and blues go extremely well with orangish oak cabinets and floors.

Here's a starting point for colors--Benjamin Moore's forest moss #2147-20:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/forestmoss
  • sounest
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    I don't know if I have the patience to paint the cabinets myself, although I'm sure it'll help.

I do like the idea of having one or all of the walls be green. Maybe one with less of the yellow hue though that's in that forest moss color =)

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • hayleydaniels
    10 år sedan
    Yeah, that's just a starting point, but you'll have to go through the colors to figure out what you think will work. Go to the paint websites and load your picture so you can apply the paint to it, and see how it looks.

Choosing a color is very tough.....
  • PRO
    K. D. Ellis Interiors
    10 år sedan
    There is a great new paint - powder paint. It is a one coat job. My painters did a large kitchen for me - I was stunned at how little they charged. White cabinets would look great, with a large drum chandelier and a cool round table!
  • Cyndy
    10 år sedan
    K.D. Ellis, please tell us more about powder paint.
  • broli_me4
    10 år sedan
    Wow, the powder paint sounds amazing! I wonder where to find a good painter who does this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating

I do think white cabinets would look great in your kitchen. Especially with white appliances. Nice, clean look. And you could add a pretty backsplash to go with it!
  • yvonnecmartin
    10 år sedan
    On my monitor it looks like your dishwasher is bisque but your stove is white. One can usually buy new panels for dishwashers in any color that you want.

You could dress up the kitchen by installing knobs on the doors.

A runner in front of the sink would also spark up the place.
  • broli_me4
    10 år sedan
    Here's a nice example...couldn't find a pic with white appliances, but it will look really clean.

http://houzz.com/photos/1176043
  • sounest
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    I really do like the idea of the white cabinets- that's what I currently have, and it does wonders for brightening the place up.

The Powder Paint does sound like a great option though.
    @K.D. Ellis, I'm assuming your painters only had to remove the doors/hardware, and could powder paint without ripping the entire kitchen apart?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!
  • hellen54
    10 år sedan
    What about a bright white /glass backsplash, maybe mosaic tile to brighten up the space and add some sparkle? I saw some at Costco, very cost effective!
  • PRO
    K. D. Ellis Interiors
    10 år sedan
    Look up Amy Howard at Home, if you decide to paint!! - amazing products!!
  • mlou72
    10 år sedan
    I see off white or white walls, perhaps even add some tile? Bring in color with accessories and some craftsman hardware.
  • PRO
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.