jeannie_nguyen

Opened VS Closed Stairs

Jeannie Nguyen
10 år sedan
When it comes to stairs, do you prefer opened or closed risers?

Cast your vote below and tell us which kind you have in your home! Photos are encouraged.

And if you don't have any stairs, tell us which one of these you'd prefer. :)

Kommentarer (46)

• 3wizkids
    10 år sedan
    we just closed ours in! The open stairs felt very unstable. We then added a huge closet under the stairs for extra storage as the hall closet was pretty small.
  • pegingolf
    10 år sedan
    I've never had to clean so much as since having open stairs. Dust, dust, dust, not on the stairs, but under them on the furniture below, and we're shoes off at the door people...
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    Open staircases feel more contemporary. Agreed with a closed staircase for my personal home since it seems safer.
  • Jeannette Pompi
    10 år sedan
    Closed definitely!!
  • ambersarris
    10 år sedan
    Love the clean, open, contemporary look!
  • krootje
    10 år sedan
    We had open staircases in our last home, but now we are building I definitely would go for closed. No dust, no cluttered cat hair or falling cats anymore,,,,
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    10 år sedan
    I like the look of open risers, but if you hit the back of your ankle on any of them you will very quickly change your mind! :)
  • rocketjcat
    10 år sedan
    Interesting, both sample pictures have somewhat open risers...
    We have open risers and love them, they let so much light through what might be a dark stairway.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    10 år sedan
    Opened when the house can take it, a contemporary one like on the photo.
  • cmra2013
    10 år sedan
    I have closed ones, and they are the most practical. But maybe when there isn't little kids running around I would love to have a house with open stairs. In a design standpoint I think they look so nice! (:
  • krf9
    10 år sedan
    I adore the look of open risers, it feels alot arier.
  • PRO
    Design Details
    10 år sedan
    I think closed risers should be the default. Example 1 shows a good use of open risers but unless they are used to admit light they are distracting and disorienting. The primary use of stairs is convenient and safe vertical circulation.
  • km kane
    10 år sedan
    Completely depends on the style and design of the home/building. Not exactly a fair question
  • PRO
    Craig Thompson Contracting
    10 år sedan
    I personally like the open risers as they lend themselves to so much creativity. The treads can be of a variety of materials such as even glass. However, it certainly does depend on the style and circumstances of the home and occupants.
  • Eliza Osenbaugh-Stewart
    10 år sedan
    Open risers feel 'unfinished' to me. And totally unsafe for kids.
  • Diane
    10 år sedan
    To me, open look fine for going down to a basement with a washing machine but add a really cheap quality going to bedrooms. It would be one of the first things I'd remodel if I moved into a house.
  • Whatknot
    10 år sedan
    Hubby built an open staircase outside the two storey garage and used the wrong screws. When they finally rotted out, he was the one who went down hard when they let loose. Ouch.
  • jswillig
    10 år sedan
    I like open but agree with the comments about feeling unsafe with kids and pets. I wonder if there are some screens or something so you have the feeling of openness but still have the safety...
  • Terri Smithmier
    10 år sedan
    closed is safer in my opinion
  • Jacqueline Pestano
    10 år sedan
    I have lived with both and they all feel and look great to me
  • Anina Salerno_Aita
    10 år sedan
    We have open on our deck, and I hate them. There's a short run and a long one, and I only use the short run because the long one feels so unsafe. My dogs feel the same way. We are rebuilding the long run soon, and they will be closed, and have an extra step added as well, so they are not so steep.
  • christina8822
    10 år sedan
    Open is far too dangerous.
  • mikedonny
    10 år sedan
    I love the look of open, but have had them before and cleaning is a huge issue. We now have closed but with a glass railing that gives the light airy feeling. Best of both!
  • tikkitalk
    10 år sedan
    Closed. Partyof1 - my heart goes out to you... My deepest condolences for your loss. Love and luck for a bright future with this baby.
  • Sydney Chandler
    10 år sedan
    Closed definitely. I just don't like an open staircase. I have a young niece and it's just safer for all involved when they're closed. Even for an adult, it's better. And trying to clean an open staircase is a complete nightmare.
  • lefty47
    10 år sedan
    HI - I physically cannot navigate open riser or see through stairs . My knees go weak and I feel ill . Something from my childhood I guess .
  • christina8822
    10 år sedan
    Partyof1, I am so sorry for your loss.
  • PRO
    Craig Thompson Contracting
    10 år sedan
    To partyof1 - That is a powerful reason to stay with closed risers. Thank you for sharing your experience. I am so very sorry for your loss. That, alone, is reason enough to close the risers.
  • Laurel Ennis
    10 år sedan
    Stairs scare me, and open risers are a stairway to anxiety. The only thing worse would be glass spiral stairs. Eesh! I like carpeted closed riser stairs. Not scary at all. If you do fall, the carpet cushions your fall. It also makes them quiet.
  • kathleen MK
    10 år sedan
    As a serious acrophobic I HATE open stairs and take elevators in lots of those "open airy" malls, galleries etc. with glass railings on escalators and open stairs.
  • tamara214
    10 år sedan
    Closed. I have toddlers and open stairs, not a good combination!
  • Susan
    10 år sedan
    I was going to say open, but after reading Partyof1's post, for my grandchildren's sake, I would go with closed. So sorry for your loss. We have a one story, so no stairs.
  • PRO
    Adi Wainberg (arbejazz) studio
    10 år sedan
    A credit would be nice thank you
  • brendaspaeth
    10 år sedan
    Closed for me. I get the heebie geebies walking up open stairs. Don't like ladders much either!:)
  • jswillig
    10 år sedan
    Party o 1? I don't see the post you are all talking about
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    9 år sedan
    Open Risers

J Design Group, Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida. http://www.JDesignGroup.com
  • Colleen Woods
    6 år sedan

Does anyone know which are cheaper to build and install? Arguing with my partner over which ones to have installed in our new home being built.

• Nodak
    6 år sedan

Open actually bothers me and gives me a bit of vertigo. So closed it is for me!

• User
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

During design, we were offered a totally open option- sort of in the middle of the downstairs area. Beautiful, but too scary for me! Also wasn't excited at the decor dilemma, furnishing around them.

We ended up with somewhat of a hybrid, although much more closed than open. It works, even for this old lady.

Bottom risers

Upper risers

The effect is fairly open and airy, yet completely protective. We love it.

• km kane
    6 år sedan
    Closed are less expensive, but if open stairs are part of your design, then go for it!
  • Colleen Woods
    6 år sedan

I was wrong then...I was arguing that open must be cheaper because there's less wood. #tryinganythingtogetmyway LOL!!! I wanted open. Oh well.

• Catherine Cassidy
    6 år sedan
    We have a quote for both open and closed versions of an otherwise identical staircase. The open version is a little over 10% cheaper due to less wood being used.
  • Snowy Tran
    3 år sedan

We are in the process of building a house and the quote for the open risers is 10X’s more expensive than closed. The difference is that the single tread now has to be a stronger quality wood and that’s where the cost is.

• emsalisbury7980
    3 år sedan

Open scares dogs and children

• Judy
    3 år sedan

I agree that open staircases feel more contemporary, and in some houses it opens the place up, but if I am looking for a house to buy, I walk out as soon as I see open stairs. It doesn't only scare dogs and children, but me too! I have a fear of heights, and a phobia has nothing to do with logic, so I simply can't walk up on open stairs. Don't even mention glass floors on upstairs walkways!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.