agalmiche

Need advice on layout of kitchen!

agalmiche
10 år sedan
I have somewhat of a symmetry obsession and as you can see, the kitchen wall and island are not centered but the island is centered with the opening into the living area. I cant affort to make the island smaller because it will be the majority of my counterspace. I am not concered about the sink being centered in the island...I really want it offset to provide workspace. I guess what I need is for someone to tell me this design is ok?? I plan on having a nice decorative vent hood and I'm aftraid it will look awkward if not centered. Maybe if I had a photo to look at that could give me a better idea? I'm just tired of loosing sleep over it and having my husband tell me I need to double up on the OCD meds....LOL! PLEASE HELP!!

Kommentarer (26)

• PRO
    Indigo Kitchen & Bath
    10 år sedan
    How about moving the fridge over next to the ovens, leave the island as is, then center the sink, cooktop/hood? The hood would then be centered between the fridge and the wall.......food for thought :)
  • PRO
    Craig Lill
    10 år sedan
    Is this going to be an actual working kitchen or a show piece that will be miserable to work in. Leave the refrigerator where it is, it gets a lot of use, do you want everyone crossing your cooking space? The distance between the island and the range wall should be around 4' not 6', to much walking. Lay this out on the floor with blue tape and try it out.
    Think efficiency first then the design will come.
  • agalmiche
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thank you. I think that may work. I have looked at it so much that nothing made sense to me anymore. I am a little concerned that the counterspace wont be the same size on both sides of the cooktop but I guess I have to give a little to get a little huh? The smaller side may be a good place to put my husbands pull out spice rack. Did I mention my husband does most of the cooking?? Haha. It's just that my OCD takes over and I think everything has to be symmetrical. The fact that you were the only one that responded to my post makes me think I must sound a little crazy! Thank you for helping the crazy lady! Have a great day!
  • agalmiche
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    rclill1, I hope for my husbands sake that it will be a functional kitchen but I would also like for it to look nice. The 6'2 is the distance from the wall (behind the cooktop) to the island so it will be 4'. So you think that leaving it like it is will be better than centering the island with the kitchen wall?
  • catlady999
    10 år sedan
    I have concerns about lack of storage in this space. I see you have a pantry far off the the left, but that looks like a lot of walking anytime you need something.

May I suggest putting 1' deep cabinets on the wall to the left of the island. Set it up with lowers, counter and uppers. This will provide counterspace for things like coffeemaker, toaster, blender, etc., along with quick access to things you use all the time: coffee, filters, poptarts, peanut butter, tea bags, cereal, cookies....

You can use wall cabinets to build the entire thing. And you will still have a 3' aisle between it and the island. Unless you want to nudge the island a few inches to the right so it ends even with the refrigerator?
  • PRO
    Hibou Design & Co.
    10 år sedan
    If that's all that bothers you, why don't you move the island over? You have 4'-2" between the wall and the island right? You don't need more than 3'. If you move it over, flip the fridge and the pantry, I think your cooktop and sink may align. At 4' in between your two working counters, you have more than enough room for circulation and two people to cook, so don't worry about anyone having a hard time getting to the fridge. What's that room off to the left? Is it a pantry or a mud room? That's a big beautiful island by the way.
  • Leslie Brooks
    10 år sedan
    How about switching the sink and dishwasher around? Or Put the sink next to the fridge and the dishwasher next and then the cooktop. Then you have workspace next to the sink and the cooktop. Oven baked items can be set on the cooktop when hot. This frees up your island. You could then have your range hood covered by cabinetry. You could have a shelf as part of the hood coverage. You could mirror this by having a plate rack over the sink and an open shelf on top of the plate rack. You get some nice focal points that are balance. And you will have closed uppers between those and at each end over your fridge and your ovens. Then you would have Loads of storage in your island. You could also add a beverage fridge to the island and put the microwave in the island. This keeps your counter and island tops free for serving and prepping.
  • PRO
    FK Interior Design
    10 år sedan
    If you move the fridge next to the oven than you will not have the counter space to place things you take out of the oven or fridge! Is it possible to make the back wall of the kitchen wider? I can't see what's next to the fridge.....
  • agalmiche
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Catlady999, there is a large pantry off to the left. The house that we just sold had a similar pantry set up and I am ok with it. Its not as bad as you think. As long as there is room for things that are used a lot. As mentioned before my husband does most of the cooking. He is from South Louisiana and he is a "one pot" meal kind of guy so no need for a lot of kitchen gadgets and we arent coffee drinkers so no Kurig or coffee pot. The door to the right of the island goes to an outdoor kitchen/ living area. We knew we would cook outside a lot so thats why the the size of the indoor kitchen wasn't priority. Firoozeh, you are right about no space to put things that come out of the over. Here is another pic. You can see that the space to the right is a dining area. If we were to move the refrigerator, the wall would go away as well. Triandos Creations, I will post the original plan from my phone in a min. which had a cabinet like you are talking about. I opted to remove that and add 2 feet to the island because there was a wall on the side of the cabinet that made it more difficult to "center" the whole look of the kitchen from the living area. If I were to move the island over enough to center it, it would only leave a little over 1' to walk.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år sedan
    My mom was like that - can't tell you what manipulations we went through just hanging art in her home. I'm going to throw a monkey wrench at ya! The door opposite the kitchen is on an angle. Why not try to match the island to it and expand it to be more versatile? Looks like you have the space to try something like this, which is balanced, but angled to make things much more interesting and convenient, as well as beautiful. It also takes the pressure off with hubs! I do like having sink and fridge in close proximity for easy offloading of foods to be prepped.
    Leonardo mosaic backsplash - Francois & Co · Mer info
  • agalmiche
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    This was the original draft but its still not centered and the island is much smaller.
  • agalmiche
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    decoenthusiaste ....Funny you should post that picture. That was the very first picture that I showed my husband and told him that I loved it. He hates it. I apoligize to everyone if I sound like I don't like any of your ideas. I really appreciate the thought that ya'll have put in to your suggestions. I make light of the fact that I have OCD but unfortunately it does control my life at times. I am taking every idea into consideration. Thank you
  • tacomablack
    10 år sedan
    Posting to follow.
  • tacomablack
    10 år sedan
    Have you considered angling the bar?
  • annmarie2
    10 år sedan
    I really think you've got lots of work space here. If my math is correct, you've got about 3-3 1/2 feet on each side of the cooktop. I've got 4' on either side of mine and that's more than plenty even with toasters, blenders and knife blocks taking up space.

The symmetry of the back wall is really quite good, and it's what your eye will be happy with. Don't worry too much about the island not being centered on that wall - the far wall will get most of the attention.

I might consider sliding the dishwasher and sink to the right (maybe have only a 9" tray divider at the end - good for cutting boards). This will give you more space to the left of the sink.

Hopefully (!) I've managed to attach a pic of mine while under construction, so you can see what I mean about the counter space.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år sedan
    Since he's the cook, maybe compromise is the answer. You get the look you love and he gets some appliance upgrades he'll love. Try that "angle" with him!
  • tacomablack
    10 år sedan
    Hey Agalmiche. Your design is fine.
  • tacomablack
    10 år sedan
    Very cool Christina!!
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    10 år sedan
    We have several blogs discussing kitchen layout advice an planning your kitchen work zones by our team of experts that may help you...

http://www.durasupreme.com/blog/category/kitchen-design
  • tacomablack
    10 år sedan
    Sorry, Kristina.
  • agalmiche
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks Kristina! It helps so much to see it! After trying to figure out what to do about this for days....I think I have decided ( with the help of all of you) to move the island to the right 1' to line up with the refrigerator wall and 6" toward the living area to line up with the door frame to the left. After looking at the picture from Kristina, I realized that the 6' wall to the left is very "naked" so I am going to have my cabinet designer build a 3' long piece of furniture or maybe a counter with cabinets.....that desicion is for another day! Wheww...I'm exhausted and yall did all the work! Thank you again for all of the thoughts and suggestions! Will post final product when done!
  • Rosemary Davis
    10 år sedan
    Regarding your comment about more cabinets on the blank wall, I would not do it unless you need the cabinet space. That wall would be the perfect place for a great large piece of art or a photo grouping, collage, etc. which would give your kitchen personality.
  • PRO
    Cole Lumber Co.
    9 år sedan
    Is there any reason why the ref. can not move over to the right 3' and make this area of cabinets 18' wide like the living area so that you can then center the cooktop? I can't see the whole plan, but it doesn't look as if there is a door or window that would prohibit this. If you are planning a beautiful wood chimney vent hood then you need to allow a lot of breathing room around it and it should not look crammed right up to the cabinets on either side. Leave about 3" of space between the vent hood and cabinets. If you are OCD I definitely think you should make this wall of cabinetry the same width as the living room space and center that hood unit. If you can't move the ref to the right ( I DO think the ref should stay closest to your dining area on the right and NOT next to the oven because it will look off balance with two large weighty appliances side by side !) put a long narrow pull out pantry on the left side of the oven unit ( 9 - 12" wide ) and this will shift the cooktop over to the right and center it more with your island.
  • lefty47
    9 år sedan
    HI -- Picky ,picky , picky ...... it's a good workable plan .... all the measurements look good and the appliances are placed well so it doesn't need to be all symmetrical ...... leave it be !
  • PRO
    Cole Lumber Co.
    9 år sedan
    I meant to say that it isn't a bad thing for the sink and the cook top to be offset from each other because if someone is at the sink and working at the cook top at the same time they are not rubbing each other's backsides together! The sink is not your focal point, your eye will be drawn to the vent hood. Therefore, use recessed lights above your island and DO NOT make a statement light fixture over the island because this would take away from your vent hood!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.