jayneanddave

Need help for a cold, ugly indoor pool bathroom!

Jayne
9 år sedan
We just moved in and there is a toilet and sink in this bathroom. It is in our indoor pool area and its ugly! The pipes are exposed in the ceiling, the cinder block foundation makes up the walls and they are painted a green. This room is so cold and uninviting! It needs some warming up and personality!

Kommentarer (52)

• Ramona
    9 år sedan
    Add a shower so people don't come out of that area all dripping bathing suits. This wouldn't be a small project to do it right. What is your budget?
  • Jayne
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Those are all great ideas!
  • Jayne
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    The pipes in the ceiling don't need to be accessible but we can't lower it too much or tall people will be touching it with their heads :)
  • Jayne
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    We have a shower in another area so hopefully they won't be in there too wet.
  • Jayne
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I have definitely thought about a different mirror but I thought I should figure out the major stuff first :)
  • PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    9 år sedan
    I think I would be tempted to just paint it all out in a nice white and kind of go for a more industrial loft look. Put in a wood-look tile floor. Trim out the door and add some substantial base trim to the floor. New mirror and light fixture. What is your ceiling height in there?
  • mrscox556
    9 år sedan
    Warm the room with a earthy tone flooring. Bamboo? Maybe sea glass accents. But don't go full seascape. Maybe rope or sea grass accents. I wouldn't embrace an industrial feel. That sounds the opposite of warm to me.
  • mrscox556
    9 år sedan
    P.S. See the Ideabooks for nautically inspired rope mirror!
  • celliohana
    9 år sedan
    Paint and a theme can change anything. :) Certainly tiling the walls would be a great idea, but that's a pretty big project and would cost a nickel or two. But anything you try to do to hide the pipes will either make the room smaller or look too obvious - unless you pant a mural on that whole wall. "Busy" can hide a multitude of sins. :) Or just embrace them. Paint each one a different color or paint all the vertical pipes to look like bamboo. I would get some flexible board and build a soffit around the overhead ducts to hide them because that will give you a cleaner feel, give you a flat surface from which to mount a better light and the curvature of the duct work instantly said "wave" to me. Go with it - it is a pool bath, right?
    Jayne thanked celliohana
  • Angel 18432
    9 år sedan
    I would pick a theme and go for it. Beach, nautical, fav nfl team? Search for items in your theme and paint accordingly. My hubby would love a redskins bathroom - as we are not having one in the house ! lol
    Jayne thanked Angel 18432
  • Ramona
    9 år sedan
    What are all your options? Could the rest of bathroom be moved to the shower area? Whatever you do, think it through carefully.
    Jayne thanked Ramona
  • Denita
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    Go for something that is a little bit rustic or weathered and beachy if that is your theme.
    I would take some precautions by having a floating vanity and other storage up off the floor hung off the wall. I am assuming that this is more than just a powder room due to all the exposed piping. Paint the concrete floor. You can even paint a colorful rug design and seal it. In the last pic #6 is a rustic type bamboo wall divider that you could use to screen off that corner where all the pipes congregate near the sink (for example). Use either ship lap type siding or other lap type siding on the walls to give that rustic/beachy look. Warm up the room with towels and hooks for pool robes etc. Here are a couple of rustic inspirations
    Rustic Modern · Mer info

Rustic Powder Room · Mer info

Camp Callaway · Mer info

Bastrop County Plantation House · Mer info

Chapman Trail, Lake Keowee, SC · Mer info

Lot 82 · Mer info
    Jayne thanked Denita
  • PRO
    WarmlyYours Radiant Heating
    9 år sedan
    Love the idea of going with a theme! M Rene Designs gave some great ideas as well! If you are looking to add some extra warmth to this bathroom, you can install electric radiant floor heating, that way those bare feet don't have to step on icy cold floors right after getting out of the pool. Or even a towel warmer would be a nice addition to the bathroom. Who doesn't like wrapping themselves in a warm towel after a shower or quick dip in the pool?
  • mrscox556
    9 år sedan
    Madden-now, that I have a visual, I love that look! Thank you for sharing!
  • PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design
    9 år sedan
    turn the wavy pipe ducts into a "faux wave" and "splash" the water right down onto the block wall...a fun mural
  • Geneviève
    9 år sedan
    A dropped ceiling for easy access to the pipes ,the colour is fresh and cool not cold from what I see .
    Nob Hill Condominium · Mer info

Brooktree / Los Angeles Mid-Century Modern · Mer info
  • Amy Lewin
    9 år sedan
    I would suggest tiling the floor in a beige stone, and painting the walls a nice warm yellow. You can paint the pipes white to contrast against them!
    9 år sedan
    There is no quick fix. Fur out the walls, hide as many pipes as possible, run electrical for outlets and for sconces beside mirror, move sink over for symetry. Leave the ceiling alone except for removing that dumb looking light. The right floor tile will make the whole room.
  • noreenmacfee
    9 år sedan
    I think you have HUGE potential with what you already have. Get starfish and hotglue them around the mirror. Maybe paint the mirror a hot coral colour or get the distressed look (I think with milkpaints). Exposed piping in a pool area extra bath is fantastic! It can give that industrial edge. Hang an old oar with hooks for towels and pool robes. If you have small children you can add whimsy by having them put paint on their hands and spruce up the wall with multiple haindprints in different colours. Use the accent colours of white, coral, ocean blues. I would propabley do it on the wall behind the toilet and sink. This takes the blue/green colour already in there and adds interest.
  • wooflikeabear
    9 år sedan
    Embrace the exposed pipes and ductwork and go full on industrial. The lighting, fixtures and paint are not going to match the look as long as those pipes and ducts are exposed. Boxing them in means you lose space. So I suggest you paint the walls a more neutral color, then paint the pipes black to make it looks like oldschool blackpipe or get a metallic paint and try grey or copper or brass. Sand the paint off the ductwork to expose the metal on it. Try uncovered edison bulbs for lighting. Use conduit for your towel holders, toilet paper holder and hanger hooks. Get metal wall clips and make them exposed as clips holding the mirror to the wall and distress the wood on the mirror. I think the floor looks fine for an industrial type look.
  • Kathy Wargo
    9 år sedan
    We have just completed our pool bathroom. It was a tiny space also. My first suggestion is look at the ceiling. The picture shows a light fixture that surely won't pass code. I suggest using Azek (www.azek.com) bead board paneling which would not only hide the current ceiling but can purchased in 4 x 8 sections. I am suggesting this material for it is used usually for outdoor building trim. With a basement and pool area and pipes you will want something that can tolerate those conditions.

I love the photo of the bath ,Chapman-Trail--Lake-Keowee--SC-rustic-powder-room. I think that the expose pipes are great and if you paint them out in an industrial " black" look, it could be an great effect. I don't know if all the walls are concrete, but if you have a studded wall. Place a mirror behind the studs and make a built in shelving unit for the necessities. The mirrored shelves will added space and depth to a small space.

Please post a photo when you have completed the project. Best wishes.
  • PRO
    Berkshire Hathaway Home Services
    9 år sedan
    Embrace the pipes is good advice! I think the "pool" colored walls are great...it's just missing something to make it feel softer, less "concrete-y". You need some softer textures so it doesn't feel like a 'prison bathroom' that was painted blue! Be careful about themes they can feel cheap if you don't do them right. I'd recommend a color story and design style rather than a theme; like white-blue-orange + rustic modern.
  • PRO
    Cleveland Designs
    9 år sedan
    There are a lot of good ideas posted here. I would not do much, change the light out as I doubt that is up to code on those pipes. It is what it is.........I would switch out the sink for a small vanity with storage for cleaning supplies. Find a warmer color, and paint everything the same color. Just change out the flooring for something warmer, maybe cork. Then add hooks for towels and a open cabinet for clothes, as I assume this might be used as a changing room and a large mirror. Put a nice big rug down that you can take up and wash, as it will get wet. If you have a big budget then go all the way and give it the spa feel and look, otherwise......just warm it up a bit. The Camp Callaway look above would be my choice, if you have the budget. Happy Swimming.
  • jh77
    9 år sedan
    I had to laugh because that is the color of my bathroom, but I intentionally painted it that color to go with my teal 1960 oven and stovetop and entryway floor. Unless you have a huge budget to fir out walls and really redo things, I'd work with what you have and go with an industrial beach theme. Since the pipes don't disappear when painted I'd paint them a color to highlight the ones on the wall. A dropped ceiling of some sort to hide the overhead ones. On the floor I'd go with marmoleum. It has some great subtle patterns, easy to clean and it will provide some insulation for bare feet on what I assume is a cold floor. Stark white makes the color colder - get an interesting sink in one shade darker (I think it is called biscuit), and instead of white go for a slightly tan white. I think the color I have is "Maison Blanche" from one of the original HGTV Sherwin Williams line. The floor is marmoleum Pacific Beaches - it has a slight green line in it. The counter is formica that also has faint flecks of the blue/green in it to tie everything together. (This was a very low model remodel because I wasn't working - its not perfect, I would change some things but the colors work and get a lot of complements.)
  • daffodilmama
    9 år sedan
    I liked the idea to fur out the walls with texture to get rid of the cinder block look. I wouldn't stress about the industrialness of the ceiling, but I would paint the walls the same color as the ceiling so it does not pop to much. I also would go for as flat a paint as you felt comfortable with in a bathroom. A natural material floor, like wood, bamboo, or organic pavers will warm up the space. Textiles like a textured rug and nice hand towels add a lot of warmth and comfort to a space.
  • daffodilmama
    9 år sedan
    A nicer quality door and door knob could help. Or trimming the door out in some way, or perhaps just hanging a cute mirror on it.
  • Joy Anderson
    9 år sedan
    Paint with warm beach colors: coral , sunlight yellow, warm sand. Hang a large poster or painting of a window on the wall. There are many to choose from.
  • noreenmacfee
    9 år sedan
    The colours in this painting is EXACTLT what I was thinking! Love it,
  • PRO
    User
    9 år sedan
    Have you thought about painting each cinder block one of three coordinating colors? Or making horizontal accent stripes by painting every 3rd row an accent color? Just saw this done on a wall with wood planks. Looked very interesting and simple to do!
  • talithia
    9 år sedan
    I love all the pipes and industrial things. I would go crazy and make the inside look like the yellow submarine ( where we all live).It is a Beatles song for those of you without white hair. I would lable pipes withfun things like , if this pipe is leaking find your gas mask ect. Youcould have alot of fune with port hole mirrors and fish on the outside. Or you may have a better idea since I have not seen the pool area. I wouldn't cover anything , just make it part of the room. It is also so much easier if there is something that needs fixed. or you could just torpido my whole suggestion. Just make it yours . thanks for letting me play decorator and button down the hatch.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 år sedan
    Have fun with the ductwork, or paint it and all the ceiling out. Replace the standard builder's boob light fixture or enhance with more fun, beachy capiz shells - a cheap fix!
    kids' bath · Mer info

Our basement · Mer info

Beach Style Bathroom · Mer info

JollyHome White Capiz Shell Chandelier Light Shade · Mer info
  • PRO
    Tripp Harrison Studio and Gallery
    9 år sedan
    Can the exposed pipes be covered with fabric? Then add a few great touches that bring the colors of the walls and fabric together.
  • blueshutters
    9 år sedan
    what about a mural? if you have to sit on the toilet, why not visualize a scene on the walls and dream about being there? of course, you may have problems with people staying too long in the bathroom...
  • Geneviève
    9 år sedan
    blueshutters
    a mural would be perfect, but nothing with people in them :)
    Palm Tree Paradise Wall Mural, 60"x41" · Mer info
  • blueshutters
    9 år sedan
    yeap, it would be like people watching you in a very private moment.
  • PRO
    Kimberley Johnson~Zina & Co. Real Estate
    9 år sedan
    I love the color! It's a bit bright, but needs a few things to ground it. I suggest to pAint the floor a beige or tan color and add in sand for wet feet, or get garage floor paint that has the flecks in it to look like stone. Then, pick one wall and install floor to ceiling pebble rock tiles...on the wall! Take it up to the ceiling. Paint out the pipes the same turquoise color so they disappear. Then, add a thin old wood open bookshelf and add multiple baskets, either of metal like old gym lockers or wood, do guests can place keys, shoes, sunscreen, etc. in them separately. Finally, on another wall, paint a huge mural. Find a local artist to paint either your kids in an impressionistic style, or perhaps a scene of impressionist flowers, in blues, greens, and maybe yellows to bring in the tans. Or, maybe add a wall of vintage life preservers in a whole wall installation. They would make a grand look. I recently saw on houzz some vintage swim suits encased in shadow boxes and hung on the wall in a trio. It was awesome!

I think spending tons of money furring out walls and dropping already low ceilings is too costly and not productive. Bathhouses should be fun, but not the place to spend thousands!

Good luck. Please post your choices. We love to see the afters!!
  • kathleen MK
    9 år sedan
    Piggybacking on Tripp Harrison's idea of fabric to hide the ductwork, use an old Sunfish sail. You might get one from a camp that is replacing worn out sailing equipment. Or get rope and reef knot a tarp to look like a sail tied to the boom. But maybe I am going overboard with the nautical theme:-)
  • Wyatt Sattazahn
    9 år sedan
    I think that a dropped ceiling could make the space feel to small...i suggest that you paint the ceiling/pipes a black or gray color. If you don't want to paint the ceiling black, I get it, but then incorporate it in the design. Since it's near the indoor pool, I would go with a beach color scheme. I would maybe do white subway tiles with blue mosaic tiles accenting. I would tile up half the wall and then do a gray colored wall with a bright piece of artwork. Do the colors of the first picture and then the design and layout of the second.Maybe add some art work with the beach or even a frame picture of your family at the beach or even in your pool. Make sure to personalize it...that's what really makes it your own!!! ~ Wyatt
  • Kristen Roberts
    9 år sedan
    Give it a whimsical spin to reduce the "chilly" factor. Maybe go undersea glam--hang layers of muslin dyed varying watery shades on the toilet/sink wall to mimic drapes/waves, a pearlized finish on the ceiling, crystal chandelier drops from the overhead venting, clusters of small round mirrors to imply bubbles, and something sandy on the floor--some kind of bamboo or grass matting. And absolutely anything but the light that's in there.

Otherwise, go nuts with a rustic camp theme--walls of reclaimed wood (pallet or otherwise,) whitewashed maybe, lots of mismatched hooks for towels and swimsuits, rough wooden boxes holding spare towels, sunblock, so on...a big basket of water toys, maybe hang some kooky inflatable from the main blank wall--an alligator or killer whale or something equally silly. A big, over-the-top ornate mirror with some of the gilding chipping off, a kitschy little skirt around the sink made of tea towels from resort towns...that kind of thing.
  • PRO
    The 8th House
    9 år sedan
    ADD SOME COLOR TO THE WALLS! :-)

Hello,

I'm Julian, an Artist / Photographer that works for Round Pocket (www.RoundPocket.com), an Art Distribution Firm in NYC.

They provide Custom and General sizes for Various Canvases with a Fine Art Finish.

If you interested, you can request a quote with Mr. Will Sofrin (help@roundpocket.com).

You can also visit my website:
    http://julianscorpio.houzz.com

Thanks!
    -Julian
  • onthecoast1
    9 år sedan
    I have such an aversion to cinder block walls, exposed pipes and duct that I would be solely focused on getting all of that covered up somehow.
  • zellab
    8 år sedan

Actually like the color. It's keeping with a beach theme. I would get creative and bring in some neutral tones of tan, brown and look in your bargain or consignment stores for pops of color. Place some found sand dollars, shells in a basket or clear plastic bucket with fish netting and a white pillar candle and create a shelving area to place them. Use a comfy area rug or runner for wet feet so nobody falls. Also you can use casting net material to create a swag on the walls and hang some art (personal beach photos of you and your family or sunrises/ sunsets). It's a matter of taste but I say keep the color.

• Angel 18432
    8 år sedan

May 2014 post. Perhaps Jayne would like to up-date us on what she did....................

• Jayne
    Författare
    7 år sedan

I still haven't done it yet!!! Terrible I know! However, I am looking into it now. I think I will take a trip to Habitat for Humanity today to see if they have anything that would work! I really appreciate all of the comments and helpful advice :)

• Amy Brown
    7 år sedan

Jayne--I am so glad you have not done anything--I think it is great as is. I would update the faucet with a sparkly new hansgrohe bauloop faucet and add some industrial towel hooks from restoration hardware on the concrete walls. Hang some fun beach towels, put a plush, comfy floor mat down and you are good to go! I LOVE the CMU walls and keystones 1X1 floor tile.

• Sam inIowa
    5 år sedan

I know this is old but I had a friend that used an old parachute as a ceiling in their basement. Maybe some neat fabric to cover the ceiling. They paint it white and the pipes black to play up the industrial.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.