webuser_133045

need help with kitchen layout - kitchen units deeper than window edge

Mel Pierce
7 år sedan
senast redigerad:6 år sedan

we are changing our kitchen window for french windows but I can't visualise whether or not it is ok to have kitchen units that stick out more than the door edges so that you don't have a clear view of the whole door. I'll try and upload a plan but this never seems to work Basically, I want to run units along the wall to the right hand side of the French doors along the whole length of the wall stopping about 30cm before the door. The right hand edge of the new French doors will be about 45cm from the wall - so the cupboards and oven will be slightly deeper. 1. Does that make any sense at all? 2. is it ok to have wall units and oven that stick out beyond the French door edge (they stop 30cms in front of the French doors). Building work has started so I have to order the kitchen soon - yikes! All help gratefully received

Kommentarer (13)

• PRO
    PWJ Architects Ltd
    7 år sedan

What size is the French door? Is it a single or double door?

Here are standard sizes for kitchen units, hopefully they help.

- Low level cupboard units with a worktop are 600mm in depth from the wall.

- Wall units above a kitchen worktop are 300mm in depth from the wall.

- Tall units (full height) are 600mm in depth from the wall.

• Mel Pierce
    Författare
    7 år sedan

it's a double door. thanks for info on units! Mel

• PRO
    PWJ Architects Ltd
    7 år sedan

Do you know what the proposed width of the door is?

Door leaf sizes tend to come in specific sizes (a door leaf is the door panel). The most common are:

838mm

762mm

If the length of the doors are around this figure, then they will run past your units. This is not a problem, however we'd suggest using door stoppers to remove the risk of the doors damaging the kitchen units/worktop.

• PRO
    Kitchens by Mode Ltd
    7 år sedan

Hi Mel, I think I understand what you mean. Have you thought about reducing the depth of the base kitchen units as they near the doors? Copy and paste the link below to see a photograph of something similar we did recently to overcome a similar problem - not French doors in this case however it may give you an idea..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQXQ3-7gMlc/?taken-by=kitchensbymode

• Mel Pierce
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thanks very much - we are looking into this - hopefully it will look ok as you look towards windows! Thanks again

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 år sedan
    Hi there,
    If you are unsure you could have 3D image made up of the space to see how it works and what space you have. I agree with above that it's common place to slightly reduce the unit (or two) closest to the doors.
    It would be great to see a plan of the space if you have one. :)
  • Mel Pierce
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thank you - there isn't really a plan - currently mainly a pile of rubble!

• PRO
    PWJ Architects Ltd
    7 år sedan

Great idea from Kitchens by Mode Ltd!

• Mel Pierce
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Yep - we're looking into that

• kikiamack
    7 år sedan
    I think that you need to leave a wider gap, 30cm is not wide and I think it will look like what it is, ie stopping the units so they don't get in the way of the french doors. I would go with a 60-80cm gap and make a useful feature out of it with floor to ceiling shelving. I've found a picture showing some shelving stepped back from regular depth units, so you get an idea. Another option is to use a rounded base unit if you like them and maybe put a stool or plant in the gap.
    Kitchen · Mer info
  • kikiamack
    7 år sedan
    Another picture:
    New York Transformation · Mer info
  • Mel Pierce
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thanks so much for your help- unfortunately we are stuck with width of window as we cannot alter building appearance beyond certain parameters . We will have a good look at ideas and see what we can steal!!! Thanks again

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.