matthew_leigh60

Help with Bachelor pad! Help a single guy out!

5 år sedan

Hello guys. Recently single and decided to re-do my apartment, i've got so far with the livingroom but something is just not sitting right

and i can't quote figure out what! Help! I originally ordered a black sofa, but got a call that non were in stock so had to settle for the light grey.

The walls i wanted a darker grey but came out a more dove grey/blue which i wasnt happy with. I'm aware im mixing greys with browns and thats a hard job

to pull off.

Some things i could do.

1.Repaint walls a darker grey

2.Grab a brown table and replace the black.

These are a few options, but i'm still unsure what it is that's mot working

I want it looking elegant, masculine, warm, cosy, modern

Any help would be appreciated

!

Kommentarer (17)

• 5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Can you take some more pictures with the lights on/blind open as It's hard to see things properly. The things that jump out at me are the tv, it feels like it it needs a fire of sorts beneath it or something decorative. As you said the table feels too dark for the room and I would also accessorise it. I think you also need a visually cosy seating area, it's impossible to talk someone sat next to you so you could add a chair in front of the alcove and maybe some pattern somewhere. It looks like a lovely room though. I'm struggling to post photos ATM but try westelm, the table (hopefully to follow) is 1/2 price ATM and they have some chairs on offer

• 5 år sedan

• 5 år sedan
    Paint the tv wall or the whole back wall in a darker grey to add a focal point. You can always add a wall mounted electric fire under the tv as Minnie suggested to give a cosy feel.

Otherwise it looks pretty good for a bachelor pad!

Day shots would be good as well
  • 5 år sedan

Hi, as said: daylight pics would be good, but from what I can see now I quite like the wall colour. It's quite sophisticated and seems to go very well with the curtains. You should be happy that the black sofa wasn't available. Think the lighter colour is perfect for the room. I think the coffee table is too dark. Dark coffee table on a dark rug, creating a bit of a black hole there. I think that a glass coffee table would be good. Or a marble top one. Agree with Minnie that a chair would be a nice addition.

• 5 år sedan
    I think that the room looks a bit monochromatic. All the fabrics look like they’re a similar texture. The only pattern I can see is in the vase in the foreground. I think that maybe a patterned rug, or patterned / textured / coloured cushions would add a bit of extra interest. Maybe add some natural materials like baskets on the shelf. I agree that you need something on the wall under the TV, either a faux mantle shelf, or an audio/visual unit. Finally, when you decide on a coffee table you could add a brass tray on top to add warmth and reflect light.
  • 5 år sedan
    Not saying that you should choose orange as an accent colour but this picture shows how pattern / texture / colour gives a lift to a grey room and sofa.
    Edmunds House · Mer info
  • 5 år sedan
    Hi - I think you should paint the wall where the tv and pictures are in a darker shade and definitely add a fire feature. Have you considered getting a larger tv? - I think that would look good. A lighter rug would change the look of the coffee table and if you didn’t want to change it you could always have a glass top made to soften the look. The paintwork would look better an off white -it looks a touch too creamy. If you add a couple of dark cushions that would give you a nice contrast.
    Hope that has given you some ideas.
  • 5 år sedan

Hi, definitely need more and brighter photos!

From what I can see the issues lie with the tv placement and alcoves rather than paint.

Maybe using an tv stand on the breast or in an alcove then getting the lightning right and some plants would really help.

Good luck

• 5 år sedan

I don’t think there’s that much wrong with your room.

Judging from your photo the wall colour looks nice and the room has a nice feel to it.

However, the TV is positioned too high not only for aesthetic reasons but also, to make viewing comfortable, its centre needs to be at eye level when sitting down.

I you‘re going to keep the floor lamp in the alcove, try moving it out of the corner away from the walls a little (some 30 cm).

• 5 år sedan
    Hi. I think the room looks pretty good! The thing that i think is missing is a fireplace. i also think that if you added a similar cabinet/ table in the left alcove it would add some symmetry to the room but as others have said, an armchair there would be very practical. The black coffee table mirrors the black TV so it doesn't look too out of place in my opinion but would need to see the room in another light.
  • PRO
    5 år sedan

Love the top Idea that Minnie posted, perfect. I'd also change the picture on the left for a frame the same size as the one on the right and hang them at the same height as each other, it's bugging me. I also think that light levels in alcoves have to match, so the height of the lamps should be the same.

• PRO
    5 år sedan

Love the ideas here. Every bachelor pads needs a armchair! A little brown leather would work well with the room and also still give the regal feel. Perfect for reading next to the fire place Minnie suggests :)

• 5 år sedan
    Have to agree with Minnie’s mock up, fire armchair and plant/s possible even the fireplace wall and in shots to the side made into a feature wall, prob go for a nice worn look brown leather armchair!
  • 5 år sedan

Hey guys. Many thanks for all the replies. Rukmini Patel Interior Design has hit the nail on the head. I'm after a more apartment feel and because of the mess up with the paint colour and sofa, i've swayed from what i originally wanted. I think i know what i need to do Currently in the progress of repainting the walls and changing alot of stuff, Will repost up some images when its complete. Everyone's been a great help so thank you! :)

• 5 år sedan

I like the grey sofa if I'm honest! I'm not sure what you mean by an apartment feel, is it a loft look? You haven't got any ideabooks set up so people may be able to help further if you add some photos of what you'd like (just in case you don't like any changes?). I haven't had a proper look, just added a few images from one designer but I think you can achieve the look you described with choices of colour, fabric, stems/flowers, lighting etc

• 5 år sedan
    IMO the decoration looks fine but agree some colour would help. Look for some colourful prints or accessories, it may also help bring the room together for you
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.