sweetpeafarmgirl

THREE front doors!

10 år sedan
This is my living room/dining room combo. There are three front doors....all functional. Outside the doors is the front porch. The middle door will be the designated entryway. Problem is, there is no entryway. Looking for advice as to how to arrange/decorate living room and create an entryway. My couch is a few feet from the front door!

Also, wondering what to cover the windows with? I'm leaning towards custom shutters on the outer doors and leaving the middle bare.

Kommentarer (17)

• 10 år sedan
    Have one door walled in so it's just a window, and then you'll be able to figure out how to arrange your furniture as you'll have a starting point.
  • 10 år sedan
    Not sure why my additional pics didn't post...but here they are.
  • 10 år sedan
    We love the 8ft solid wood doors and will be working with them.
  • 10 år sedan
    Beautiful doors. honestly, i would not add curtains or shutters, just leave them naturally bare. A runner in front of the middle door could help delineate the entrance area, maybe add two matching short bookshelves on either side perpendicular to the walls to enclose the space a bit? A console table behind the couch would be nicer to look at than a long dark stretch of leather.
    sweetpeafarmgirl thanked Margaret Blount
  • 10 år sedan
    Keep the transom windows uncovered to let the light in. Pick alight color curtain for both doors on the right and left of the center door. Use a right draw rod on the right side and left draw on the left side. There are drapes that work with the draw rod.

Place a rug inside the main front door. This will create a foyer. Maybe a coat rack or potted plant on the right side of door.

The furniture should not be large. Look for same similar chairs from dining table chairs to use for extra seating in living Area.

I see red berries in vase on mantle. Red would be a good color for accents.
    sweetpeafarmgirl thanked newman1958
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Hi! Lovely place! I think I would place a console table in between the door to the left and your designated front door to start with :) Here are a few that I thought may work nicely:

http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/world-market/worley-console-table/

http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/world-market/marshall-console-table/

I would also recommend leaning some type of mirror up against it :

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/home-decorators-collection/antiqued-copper-mirror/

Hope this helps you get a start :)
    sweetpeafarmgirl thanked Warner Decor
  • 10 år sedan
    Your house is lovely. I agree with the suggestions to treat the two end doors as windows and make the center the entry. Low furniture on either side of the entry will define it. If you need a rug, a runner would be nice.
    sweetpeafarmgirl thanked yvonnecmartin
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Hi sweet pea....I love your house and those fabulous doors, I would not change or cover them
    for any reason other than privacy. Place a small demi-lune table behind the sofa for balance
    and separation with the dining, it's fabulous
    sweetpeafarmgirl thanked Matilda Bos Design Studio
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Love the doors! is this a Plantation home? I would use the middle door add a runner and sofa table behind the couch. Do not need to cover the doors they look fantastic as it is.

Sue
    www.essentialsiniside.com

www.essentialsinside.com: antero, mango wood console table · Mer info
  • 10 år sedan
    I'd def leave the doors as is but unfortunately it is a privacy issue. We are in a zero lot line live/work/play community. I wish I had a plantation home! Thanks for the advice. Regarding a runner, would it look good/bad to get the same one as in the dining area? I was considering ordering another for the living area thinking that it would just define the two sides of the room. But now, considering a runner...would it look bad to have them all match? Also, would the sofa table need to be on or off the runner? Or does it matter? Thankful for all the feedback and great ideas.
  • 10 år sedan
    This video shows usage of a screen as a partition with a table in front of it, plus a space for hanging coats. http://www.bhg.com/videos/m/87204075/small-living-room-furniture-arrangements.htm?sssdmh=dm17.727008&esrc=nwdc030514cd
  • 10 år sedan
    Ok, the link is showing one video, let it run and go automatically to the SECOND video which is the one I was talking about
    sweetpeafarmgirl thanked Margaret Blount
  • 10 år sedan
    I agree with the others - those doors are unique and beautiful, and it would be such a shame to ruin the character of your space by turning one or two of them into windows! However, do they all need to be open-able all the time? Would you be OK with sitting a piece of furniture across at least one of them, for example an appropriately proportioned table such as the one posted by essentials inside, above?

As for privacy - how about hanging quality simple but slubby curtain panels for each, with liner fabric hung separately, so you can close one or both, depending on the time of day. I'm thinking along the lines of layered linens, muslin, that sort of thing. There've been some good ideas over at Remodelista - I'll see if I can find them for you.
    sweetpeafarmgirl thanked bubblyjock
  • 10 år sedan
    From Remodelista:

Plain and simple heavier linen (which drapes beautifully, with good heft):

http://www.remodelista.com/posts/5-favorites-belgian-linen-curtains

Fun, but I'll bet diy is tricky to hang nicely:

http://www.remodelista.com/posts/diy-5-patchwork-curtains-made-from-linens

And one more:

http://www.remodelista.com/posts/10-favorites-full-height-sheer-summer-curtains

Don't know what your colour scheme might be eventually, but if you have one panel, say the front one, in a light colour, and the other one in a dark colour, together they will give you total privacy, but each will give a very different effect on its own.
  • 10 år sedan
    I think that your runner should be different than the rug under the dining table. Do you need a rug under that table? I like the idea of a runner and a similar, but not the same rug for the living area. Agree with all who suggested sofa table.
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Hello - Great feedback so far. I think you're right on with your shutter idea. I would do a custom color match with 2 full panels on each door that fold back onto the walls. Leave the transoms open. This will help highlight your middle door as the entrance from both the exterior and interior of the house. I would also bring some color into the room by putting roman shades in the little windows next to your fireplace. I'd love to see an after picture.
    sweetpeafarmgirl thanked Budget Blinds and Inspired Drapes
Sponsrad

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.